Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,006,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Y'all must live more interesting lives than I do. I'm coming up on the half-century mark, and there is a grand total of ONE time in my life I might have had good use for a gun. And that episode involved a bear, not a person.
LOL I think under the circumstances, having a hand gun vs a bear is probably worse than not having one, you'll just **** him off haha!

I have a Glock 19 and a 23. A few shotguns, and a rifle or two. I have a CCW as well, but I don't carry 99% of the time. Just wanted to have it for those times when I might want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,640,758 times
I have a little bitty .22 with a laser sight, which I will carry when I move to the Dallas area. I tried several guns of a friend and I just don't have the hand strength to hold anything bigger. I have a carry permit here but rarely carry.

I got mine after Hurricane Katrina wrecked my home city and I saw all the looting. If an earthquake strikes us while I live here, I want to be able to defend my water/food against looters. Same in Dallas if a tornado tore up my neighborhood. My hope is the bad guys will see the red dot and not stop to see what might be behind it!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM

6,704 posts, read 13,930,916 times
I have a CHL but seldom carry. For me it is to much of a hassle to pack around a gun during the summer. I am typically at work or home after dark so I seldom come across places that require me to have a gun. I have no problem with people who carry but for me it is a inconvience. I just try to use common sense and stay out situations that could be dangerous. When I was younger I was much more likely to be around dangerous places and I would certainly carry in those instances. I carry a little Ruger LCP on my person and have a Ruger 9mm and shotgun for home defense.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,022,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
The thread rageman24 made seems to have sparked some CHL discussion and rather than derailing his thread, I figured it wouldn't hurt anyone if I made my own

What do you guys carry? How do you carry it? Any and all CHL-related local information is welcome!
When you asked what we carry, I thought you were referring to handbags. (I guess my East Coast is shining through. lol)

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
LOL I think under the circumstances, having a hand gun vs a bear is probably worse than not having one, you'll just **** him off haha!
Well, since you went down that route..., that's a prime example of where having a gun might have led someone to make the wrong decision. As it was, I backed off (slowly) and he chose to ignore me as a threat. FWIW, he was pretty far away.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM

19,545 posts, read 17,801,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have a little bitty .22 with a laser sight, which I will carry when I move to the Dallas area. I tried several guns of a friend and I just don't have the hand strength to hold anything bigger. I have a carry permit here but rarely carry.

I got mine after Hurricane Katrina wrecked my home city and I saw all the looting. If an earthquake strikes us while I live here, I want to be able to defend my water/food against looters. Same in Dallas if a tornado tore up my neighborhood. My hope is the bad guys will see the red dot and not stop to see what might be behind it!
Have you tried a polymer lower handgun in .380? Polymer lowers significantly dampen recoil energy from the upper section. Such a rig may be worth a bit of investigation.

Best of luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
I carry a Seecamp 32 with me sometimes and a Glock 9mm in the car almost always.

I also carry a set of Jumper Cables in my car and only had to use them 1 time in the last 20 years but I'm glad it's a tool the state allows me to have just in case.

Side note: I always give the cops my CHL whether I'm carrying or not whenever I get pulled over (minor traffic offenses). It's gotten me out of the last 2-3 tickets without even a warning. They just acknowledge my CHL and say have a nice day. I guess it pays to have passed an FBI Background check.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM

827 posts, read 1,667,176 times
OPSEC. You'll never know what I have, where it's located, or how many are on me. [IF I have one.]

Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 PM

383 posts, read 730,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
OPSEC. You'll never know what I have, where it's located, or how many are on me. [IF I have one.]
Tres tacticool.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM

29 posts, read 89,932 times
Glock 23. I used to carry a Kahr PM9, then a Glock 27, but as I've continually gotten into better shape and my waist has shrunk I can carry a lot more gun and it conceals completely.

Having said that, I feel a lot safer in Dallas than I ever did in San Antonio so the Glock 23 + reload feels like overkill now. In San Antonio though it probably wasn't enough gun ... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas