Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times

Advertisements

This is a nice, little essay by someone who originally hated Dallas, then came to terms with it, and now actually kind of loves it.

Nobody Says I Love You Anymore - The Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Thanks for posting that. I agree, it's a great piece with lots of truth. I didn't catch exactly where she grew up though. Anyone know?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Thank you.
Very nice to read.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Thanks for posting that. I agree, it's a great piece with lots of truth. I didn't catch exactly where she grew up though. Anyone know?
Assuming by the description of:
"My family rented a sweet, shabby little home in a privileged section of town, known for its excellent school system and status cars, and my most vivid memory of being 11 and 12 is simply the feeling of not belonging. That’s as unique as braces and bad skin among this age group, but the fact that I could not afford a $300 Louis Vuitton handbag or that my parents drove a dented silver station wagon felt like the worst thing that had happened to anyone, ever."
I'm going to guess HP.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Assuming by the description of:
"My family rented a sweet, shabby little home in a privileged section of town, known for its excellent school system and status cars, and my most vivid memory of being 11 and 12 is simply the feeling of not belonging. That’s as unique as braces and bad skin among this age group, but the fact that I could not afford a $300 Louis Vuitton handbag or that my parents drove a dented silver station wagon felt like the worst thing that had happened to anyone, ever."
I'm going to guess HP.
You're probably right.

One thing that struck me as interesting was that, while reading through the link, I kept seeing similarities between how the author described the bashing of Dallas by NYers and Austinites and how some Dallasites on this forum bash Plano. Anyone else notice this?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM

383 posts, read 732,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
One thing that struck me as interesting was that, while reading through the link, I kept seeing similarities between how the author described the bashing of Dallas by NYers and Austinites and how some Dallasites on this forum bash Plano. Anyone else notice this?
Sure. And I think this is kind of a common story, especially if you ever grew up in a small town or a provincial city like Dallas and just cannot wait to get away.

So you go away, hit the big cities, maybe travel the world. Maybe it works out and you stay away or you move back or to somewhere like where you came from.

Happens all the time and reminds me of what a mentor said a long time ago when I hit the road.

"What is it you're looking for? I hope you find it, but remember you can't ever run away from yourself.".

Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
I live in SC and have lived in AL, MS and GA most of my life. That said, I've traveled a good bit (all over the US, Europe, some in S. America & the Caribbean)... Have been to Dallas many times. I just can't imagine Dallas being a place that someone would feel like they would have to settle for, rather than live someplace else.

Maybe I've romanticized the whole "Dallas" and "Texas" thing in my mind, but I'd LOVE to have an excuse to move there (not so sure these days that the chance we have to move there is going to work out)!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM

119 posts, read 352,079 times
Nice article. I remember feeling the same way growing up, but after spending time in Philly, NYC, Boston, SF, and elsewhere... I appreciate living here now more than ever.

Agreed that Austin isn't so weird anymore. Way overrated now. It's still great for university-bound 20-somethings to hook up, drink (and smoke) cheap, and explore latent vegan/crafting/advocacy skills. Otherwise, meh. The metroplex is bigger, better, and where it's at today.

Another frozen margarita please & extra hot salsa... gracias amigo.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
This is a nice, little essay by someone who originally hated Dallas, then came to terms with it, and now actually kind of loves it.

Nobody Says I Love You Anymore - The Morning News
I love this. Thank you for sharing.

My favorite part is:

"But when you construct your meaning from things outside of you—the cool job you have, the music and the movies you enjoy, the vintage brush of the funky corduroys you wear—then you are bound to live in cities on the Approved List, which Dallas certainly was not."

That couldn't be more true. Telling people of my move to Dallas was not easy. No one approved. I think Dallas, and most, if not all, of Texas, gets an undeserved bad rap.

When they think of Texas and Dallas, most people I talk to think of big hair, cowboy hats, religion, guns, Republicans, Sounthern accents, country music, and uneducated people. I couldn't be more opposite from that, so obviously not everyone that loves TX fits that stereotype (which is just that, a stereotype).

Like the author, at a particular age I did care about "constructing my meaning from things outside of myself - including living in a city on the Approved List." I lived in those cities on the Approved List. Drove the Approved Car. Carried the Approved Handbag.

I'm happy to say, I'm no longer that way, and couldn't be happier with life, or with my decision to live in Dallas.

Let other people pay over-priced rates (and work ridiculously long hours to pay the bills) to live in cities on the Approved List. That just means more budget-friendly Dallas (and time sipping tea on the porch) for me.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I love living in Tx and Dallas err Plano. I say think god for the Tx haters. If it wasnt for them we would be so crowded here it wouldnt be the same. We have jobs, we have nice people, we have diversity, we have txmex and we have a climate that doesnt require a big snow shovel. Thank god we arent loved by Ca or Ny residents... who dream and wish they were in France or Italy... we are doing just fine with out them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: