Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM

743 posts, read 1,314,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
and the Aboretum where I live
You live at the Arboretum?!?!!! How fancy

As someone who grew up on the east side of the lake, I now covet the proximity of the west side. Though I'll admit I miss being able to walk there in under 10 minutes, and the west side seems more crowded. I mean, don't these people know it's MY personal park??

Story: When I was in high school a friend of mine who grew up in the M Streets wanted to tag along on a trip to McCree Park. I'll never forget the way he shouted "where ARE we?" on Plano Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,019,865 times
I think the east side of the lake is up and coming after the dry overlay was removed. There are some really cool hipsterish (meant in a good way) places opening along Garland Road. Lincoln Property investing multi-millions by the spillway and the the new $50 million Children's Garden at the Arboretum is going to attract a lot of attention.

Still though, you know my favorite would the Lakewood area - LH has some of the small-town feeling we have here but we also have history, pride, loyalty and an esprit de corps that is highly unusual in DFW.

I really love Hollywood Heights and would actually prefer that to the M-Streets - Junius Heights is more walkable if you want to go to the Lakewood Shopping Center/Theater/Library. HH does have the Santa Fe Trail connecting to the lake though.. The Katy Trail is being expanded along the DART rail line adjacent to Trammel and University Terrace - yet another connection to the lake - but Fisher Road is alreay a great way to get there..

Lakewood's Fisher Road.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 04-13-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM

616 posts, read 1,034,402 times
We had almost exactly the same experience a year ago (minus the steering). Having moved from the east coast, an instinctive liking for the 75214 and 75223 architecture, and instinctive dislike of the Lake Highlands architecture. We were looking right within the same price range.

It seemed like you could get just a bit more space in LH, but not enough for us to overcome the added distance, plus the school issue, plus the architecture issue.

We moved to Hollywood Heights and love it every single day, and walk to Lindsley Park, and go for walks around the neighborhood too. Lakewooder is quite correct though, that Junius would be a better bet for walking to the Lakewood shopping center.

It seems like there are plenty of listings in Hollywood under $275K, and that prices are pretty comparable to the Lakewood Hills / C-Streets prices. Those were the two neighborhoods that we zeroed in on. I didn't see that HH was much pricier than the others. Maybe you get a bit smaller place for the money.

The 60 bus goes right down Lindsley from the park, very convenient.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbratt View Post
Dear Fellow Citi-data folks:

I posted last year about looking at Hollywood Heights and Junius Heights as potential places to purchase a home. Well, my wife and I are taking the plunge, and are going with a realtor to check out houses later this month. Should be fun. We have a price range between $150,000 and $275,000, and have our financing all lined up.

We have a wonderful agent, but she's really pushing for us to look more at Lake Highlands as opposed to Junius Heights and other neighborhoods on the western edges of Lakewood. Honestly, I think that with the budget we are working with, Hollywood Heights is a bit out of our price range, but neighborhoods such as Lakewood Hills and University Terrace are places we are certainly looking at in addition to Junius Heights. Perhaps it is because we are from the east coast, but my wife and I are urban people, and the suburban housing stock in Lake Highlands makes me want to weep when I drive around there. I know that the Richardson ISD schools are excellent, but I'm a big supporter of DISD, especially Woodrow.

I don't know what other people's experiences have been, but are we off base looking more for older urban places near Lakewood? My wife works near lakewood, and I work downtown. I prefer to ride the bus/train to work, and I've done it already for the past two years without any problems. I know that I'd be dead without being able to get to White Rock Lake for exercise in the summer, so staying close to the lake would be a big plus for me.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas