Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM

343 posts, read 805,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflowers4me View Post
This makes me so nervous moving into the area this summer. I have four little kids ages 6 and under. I have no idea how to keep them safe.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Tornadoes are NOT a major issue in DFW. The ones we had this month were extremely rare and barely ever happen to that extent, and even they didn't cause ANY deaths.

It is nothing to be worried about in the slightest. If a storm comes, take all necessary precautions, but you will perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM

103 posts, read 270,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I think you are more likely to see a large Violent tornado in places like Wisconsin and New York before you will ever see one down here in Dallas. The only part of Texas that you would have to worry about tornadoes happening if you were to live there is in the Panhandle.
Are you kidding??? a large violent tornado in New York?????? I was in NY for 10 years and never had one tornado.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM

103 posts, read 270,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Fourteen F5 storms per year in the Dallas area? Absolutely, and I think that's a conservative number. My neighborhood rebuilds itself every 6 years or so. That's the nice thing about living in Dallas. Sure, you pay a massive insurance fee if you can find a carrier that will touch the area, because most homes go to the land of Oz at some point or another, but if you live to see another day then you get a whole new home, decor, clothes, and landscaping after each epic storm. Sweet.
"My neighborhood rebuilds itself every 6 years or so".
-----Really????????????? That means the house will be destroyed by winds or hails or tornadoes so badly? In philly and NY, most houses have been at least 40~50 years old. You almost can't buy a house less than 20 years old.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
Are you kidding??? a large violent tornado in New York?????? I was in NY for 10 years and never had one tornado.
There were some in Brooklyn and Queens only 2 years ago.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
I was only saying that the chances of large violent tornado in NY state (i.e. not NYC or Long Island, but upstate) is probably higher than one hitting Dallas.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I would say we get one or too many

Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,836 times
I have lived in the same house since 1971 and never seen a tornado. However I used to commute to work in California and have been in several earthquakes. We have rain parties when it gets stormy

Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM

104 posts, read 164,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. Tornadoes are NOT a major issue in DFW. The ones we had this month were extremely rare and barely ever happen to that extent, and even they didn't cause ANY deaths.

It is nothing to be worried about in the slightest. If a storm comes, take all necessary precautions, but you will perfectly fine.
It's absolutely ridiculous to be nervous and to worry about my kids' safety after a tragic tornado comes through? Any normal person would feel nervous seeing the aftermath - normal emotions after something happens. A tornado was literally pulling a baby out of a woman's arms. You can't see how I'd feel nervous about that?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflowers4me View Post
It's absolutely ridiculous to be nervous and to worry about my kids' safety after a tragic tornado comes through? Any normal person would feel nervous seeing the aftermath - normal emotions after something happens. A tornado was literally pulling a baby out of a woman's arms. You can't see how I'd feel nervous about that?
I think what he was referring to as ridiculous is Tornadoes being a major issue as a frequent phenomenon and the area affected. Hail would be more of an issue in that respect.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I grew up in Dallas and have been here almost 50 years. I have never seen a tornado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas