Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,742 times

Advertisements

Highland Village to Las Colinas area (McArthur and Hidden Ridge area) too far of a commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,952 times
I wouldn't consider it too far of a commute. My job is about 2 miles west of MacArthur & Hidden Ridge, several of my co-workers commute from Highland Village. Doesn't seem to bother them and I've rarely heard them complain about traffic, unless they use I-35. There are several alternate routes.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
Also notice a rail road line going going through town. Do trains frequently run on that track?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,952 times
Not sure how frequent the trains run in Highland Village. We have several tracks running through the Coppell-Valley Ranch-Las Colinas area where I live. I rarely see or hear the trains. It's probably the same in HV. I could be wrong though.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,991 times
It wont be awful but might be a little longer than you would prefer, especially if you are going down 2499. Any particular thing about Highland Village you like? You might be happy in Flower Mound, Grapevine, or Coppell too.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 AM

5 posts, read 25,172 times
My wife makes that commute, it is a little tough during peak traffic times. Takes about 40 minutes with normal 8am or 4:30pm traffic. She just leaves early or comes home earlier or later and she can make it in about 20-25.

As for trains I hear the "horn" which is actually loud speakers at the crossings about 4 times a day tops. I live about 1 mile from the track that runs through Highland Shores up and over 2499. It's not bad at all. I will say I get rail roaded more now getting onto 35E going North by the light rail more than anything. Of course it only runs 2 - 3 cars right now so takes all of 60 seconds to pass and gates to go up, especially if it is heading South from the terminal.

As far as other suggestions on places mentioned you will get more options in Flower Mound since it is a lot larger and more inventory. I persnally think Coppell is one of the most over-priced markets in this area, paying for demand of the schools and lower inventory from a smaller community. Highland Village is a good choice, exemplary schools and ranked Safest City in North Texas 9 or 10 years straight now. Just ranked #2 in D Magazine for best Suburbs in North Texas.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 13,478 times
Highland Village (HV) is a hilly area with curvy roads and cul de sacs along the southwestern edge of Lewisville Lake. It does not have the normal square city blocks like most Texas cities. There are walking trails throughout HV and Flower Mound. You can walk to shops & restaurants from the neighborhoods 1.5 to 2 miles from the farthest points. Highland Shores neighborhood have trails & city paths to the schools & lake so walking & riding bikes is very doable. Older neighborhoods don't have trails but are getting some put in right now to connect the whole city from end to end. Neighborhood streets don't have sidewalks but the streets aren't very busy. There are sidewalks on some of the busy main streets, we are getting more as the streets are being widened right now.

We have a lot of little shops & restaurants in the area. Major shopping of ALL kinds are close but require a car to get the groceries home. Lewisville & Grapevine have actual outside farmer's markets. Parks, covered picnic areas, baseball, soccer,tennis & roller hockey athletic areas are scattered throughout the HV area. These also can be reached by paved walking biking paths or you can drive & park in the roomy parking lots.

Winter can start as early as November 20th. This means the beautiful fall weather drops to 15-20 degrees for 2 or 3 nights with possibility of ice storms. Then back to beautiful Autumn/Spring weather. Our norm in December through February fluctuates radically. We can have ice/snow for a few days 2-4xs a winter, then we might hit 80 for a few days. Normal is 45-70 for the highs. Our weather comes sweeping down from Canada(Frigid) or sweeping up from the Gulf of Mexico(Tropical). We have a few grey days lasting 4-5 days at the most a few times a year. There are usually big fluffy white clouds in our big blue sunny sky.

Spring is cool nights and 60-75 degree days. This ends in mid April (hitting highs of med 80's and not cooling off at night anymore, 70's) Can start to get humid as storms roll in.

Summer really hits in May (hitting high 80's & not cooling off below 75-80 for the next few months.) Storms bring high humidity for a few days. Temps continue by getting higher highs & lows through late September. June, July & August hits highs of 90's -110's. The not cooling off in the evenings is what makes the heat during the summer so long and hard. Air conditioning is required from mid May into October.

Autumn, starts about end of September (highs mid 80's and getting to the 70's Yea!) Autumn though Spring we are outside enjoying all the trails & paths. Summer we are out very early in the mornings 5:30-10. I've lived in this area for 34 years.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Highland Village to Las Colinas area (McArthur and Hidden Ridge area) too far of a commute?
about 35-40 mins during rush hour

Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Also notice a rail road line going going through town. Do trains frequently run on that track?
Trains running through Highland Village have several crossings a few times a day. Most are hornless. I hear the rumble of the train sometimes as it has become an occasional background noise. My neighbor boys think I live in the best house in the world however as from my dining room window I can look way down the hill about 4-5 blocks and watch the train roll by.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,742 times
We ended up here in Highland Village and couldn't be happier. The commute hasn't been to bad and honestly coming home to a little more land and a great outdoor area makes it all the easier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas