Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,320 times

Advertisements

Hello, thank you for providing such a great service to the community.

I would like to hear some real first hand knowledge of what it's truly like living in southlake in terms of friendliness and materialism? One person income, wife stays at home, income is meager low 150 to 200, some years much higher. But overall only 175 or so.

I understand That the median income is quite a bit higher tHan that, so curious as to what the lifestyle feels like.

Note, wife is a fun loving, kind and graceful woman who doesn't wish to appear materialistic at all costs. Eg: shops on Craigslist, discount stores, repairs vs purchase. Is just a beautiful human inside and out.

We have children and schools are quite important.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,621,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanup201 View Post
Hello, thank you for providing such a great service to the community.

I would like to hear some real first hand knowledge of what it's truly like living in southlake in terms of friendliness and materialism? One person income, wife stays at home, income is meager low 150 to 200, some years much higher. But overall only 175 or so.

I understand That the median income is quite a bit higher tHan that, so curious as to what the lifestyle feels like.

Note, wife is a fun loving, kind and graceful woman who doesn't wish to appear materialistic at all costs. Eg: shops on Craigslist, discount stores, repairs vs purchase. Is just a beautiful human inside and out.

We have children and schools are quite important.
Thanks
FWIW, the median household income in Southlake is "only" about 180K (I know, "only". Ha.), so you're right near the median. Beyond that, let's just say I'm also curious to see how people respond here. Southlake is on my short list, although right now it probably ranks behind Colleyville.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,920,835 times
$175K is near the median income for Southlake. We moved from Euless, and love it. It sounds strange but our old neighborhood there seemed less friendly. Maybe, people were more occupied with making ends meet? Many people here make good money for a reason, they're outgoing, approachable, fun, educated. And sports are what tie it together. So many good guys/gals in Southlake volunteer their time to coach these kids and they are just natural leaders that the kids look up to. I haven't encountered any more materialism or snobbery than you would get at any other community. We've been here 8 years and one time a kid told my son that our house was "small"...3300 sq ft.....LOL. I will say our kids are not teenagers yet so I can't speak for that age group, but I've been told these cliques start to form, but what ISD would not have this problem? Moving here was about the best thing we could have done. The only time we lock the front door is at bed time or we're on vacation.

Plus, there is still country out here. We get geese flying 10ft over the house, chickens, cows, horses down the street. Wood peckers, road runners, raccoons, possum, etc. Ponds with fishing.

You'll find all sorts here. Californians, East Coasters, farm boys from Oklahoma, Asian immigrants, native Texans, etc. Snobs are rare, that attitude is just laughed at here.

Last edited by padcrasher; 04-15-2012 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 9,320 times
Thank you. I was considering buying a much older home in southlake. Is that considered the poor section of town ha?!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM

69 posts, read 139,054 times
We have been here since last summer, moved from Mexico. So far it has been a great experience and you can live it as you want to, from extremely involved at school, church and what have you, to none at all. No snobbery whatsoever, everyone very friendly. If you want to make friends you are welcome to, if not, they pretty much leave you alone. Kids at school did great with the transition, one being a Senior in HS and the other one a 3rd grader. Keep your options open, but do not discard Southlake out of random hearsay from people probably too insecure about who they are.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,795,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanup201 View Post
Thank you. I was considering buying a much older home in southlake. Is that considered the poor section of town ha?!
If you're are this worried about it I might consider somewhere else, no honestly. Otherwise Southlake is whatever YOU want it to be. Who cares where you rank and what your house looks like and especially what anyone else thinks.

Your kids will be going to school with wealthy kids who drive nice cars to school. I would learn to put any worry about this sort of thing aside if you want to be happy there. It's a great town.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,464 times
if your social life extends beyond high school sports; if you are interested in art museums, the symphony, opera, ballet, and theater; if you are over 50, not anglo, and do not consider shopping a life goal, stay away from this pretentious, pathetic burg.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,373,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8 View Post
if your social life extends beyond high school sports; if you are interested in art museums, the symphony, opera, ballet, and theater; if you are over 50, not anglo, and do not consider shopping a life goal, stay away from this pretentious, pathetic burg.
People move there for their kids and the good schools. If you're single - Uptown is a much better choice.

Anglo- not so much.

If you do have kids and still want the 'culture' of Dallas you will need a babysitter and a 40 minute trip to the city. Either way you would've needed the babysitter.

Pretentious- avoid Park Cities then.

Me thinks Belle doth protest too much.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,920,835 times
Only 30% of SL households make over $200K per year.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 45,943 times
We live in Southlake, very similar stats to you and love it. I was concerned as well about pretentiousness, going on two years now and haven't seen one sidewards glance or snide comment. We will not buy our kids cars when they are in high school, yes there are parents that do that here but honestly, there are just as many who don't and we had kids getting new luxury cars in the burbs in Kansas City when I went to high school there.
The only people that I have met that even discuss or comment on wealth have all been from Westlake. Still great folks, just there you will hear more "we hopped on the jet and went to Vegas for the weekend" stories and they are telling the truth. Moreso, these same folks often are heavily involved in charity work and donate to youth programs/athletics so I don't mind the occasional story.
Some of the wealthiest people I have ever met lived in homes that were not flashy, shopped on CL and garage sales and didn't drive luxury cars. We make a point of exposing our children to life outside Southlake and we figure that someone will always have something newer/flashier/more expensive so they might as well learn that lesson now. There is always bigger fish. If they want the finer things in life, they need to study hard, get a great job and be fiscally responsible.
Southlake folks are VERY welcoming, I could not be happier with our choice and if there's anything I can do to help, please feel free to send me a message! Best of luck in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas