Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 AM

96 posts, read 201,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpack View Post
i actually think it's probably easier from one of the less wealthy districts.
by this i did not mean to imply that plano, which i presume is what PISD stands for, is any less competitive than hpisd. i would think that it might be even more competitive, given the relatively high percentage of asian students.

Last edited by akpack; 04-18-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
If I remember correctly, Senior's val from last year turned down MIT and went to UTD . He got a National Merit full ride + $$$$$, along with being able to apply all his AP credits, which MIT almost completely disregards. I suspect he was also already hooked up with a research group at UTD, and maybe mid-publication.
I read just the other day, hope I get this right, that for Fall 2011 UTD admitted FIFTY THREE National Merit Scholars - Caltech admitted thirty six.

UTD is winning the race for Tier One both in terms of funding and "caliber of admissions".

Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpack View Post
is this really true about MIT? someone in my family went there and while it was not as generous as say, stanford, with the credits, he nearly started out as a sophomore. but that was almost 20 years ago.
You can advance out of TWO 1st semester courses (Calc I and Phys I), and that's about it. (And that second one assumes scores of 5 ONLY on BOTH parts of the Phys C exam sequence. Calc I credit requires a 4 or 5 on Calc BC.)

No credit at all for AP Bio, Chem, Comp Sci, Stats, or Environmental Studies.

Everything else (Spanish, Art History, Economics,...) requires a 5, and only gets general elective credit (9 units = 3 UT-style credits). They cannot be used to fulfull any specific graduation requirements, so they probably won't help you graduate any faster.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

MIT Class of 2015: Advising and Academics - College Board Advanced Placement Credit (http://mit.edu/firstyear/2015/subjects/ap.html - broken link)

Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
You can advance out of TWO 1st semester courses (Calc I and Phys I), and that's about it. (And that second one assumes scores of 5 ONLY on BOTH parts of the Phys C exam sequence. Calc I credit requires a 4 or 5 on Calc BC.)

No credit at all for AP Bio, Chem, Comp Sci, Stats, or Environmental Studies.

Everything else (Spanish, Art History, Economics,...) requires a 5, and only gets general elective credit (9 units = 3 UT-style credits). They cannot be used to fulfull any specific graduation requirements, so they probably won't help you graduate any faster.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

MIT Class of 2015: Advising and Academics - College Board Advanced Placement Credit (http://mit.edu/firstyear/2015/subjects/ap.html - broken link)
Additive to that is the well sold notion at good schools that their courses are simply better than knowledge indicated by AP credits. My son for example was talked out of using 16(?) hrs. of AP/dual credit bio. towards his pre-med program requirements. He thought it was BS at the time he now thinks it was a really good move to not use his advanced placement.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM

307 posts, read 477,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I read just the other day, hope I get this right, that for Fall 2011 UTD admitted FIFTY THREE National Merit Scholars - Caltech admitted thirty six.

UTD is winning the race for Tier One both in terms of funding and "caliber of admissions".
Come on now, UTD has an undergraduate population of ~9500, caltech has under 1000. Apples/oranges...

Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM

148 posts, read 307,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
Come on now, UTD has an undergraduate population of ~9500, caltech has under 1000. Apples/oranges...
the students at caltech are also a lot smarter than the students at utd...

the more interesting fact is that utd has more nmf than all other ut schools combined.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM

93 posts, read 244,962 times
I wouldn't exactly call it apples and oranges, but you do have a point that the percentages of finalists at Caltech would be significantly higher. Still, I do think that is a remarkable achievement for UTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post

Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM

A big part of that is that UT-Austin no longer gives out NM Scholarships. That means DFW NMSF kids in search of big-time merit money are now diverted to UTD (and OU, along with some smaller players). Even if you CAN afford to pay full freight at UT-Austin, it's hard to turn down a situation like UTD, where THEY pay YOU to go to school.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
A big part of that is that UT-Austin no longer gives out NM Scholarships. That means DFW NMSF kids in search of big-time merit money are now diverted to UTD (and OU, along with some smaller players). Even if you CAN afford to pay full freight at UT-Austin, it's hard to turn down a situation like UTD, where THEY pay YOU to go to school.
Agreed, IMO it's one more move towards suicide for UT-Austin. They diverted the money from merit towards need.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Agreed, IMO it's one more move towards suicide for UT-Austin.
Eh, depends on where you're standing. No NMS program hasn't hurt the Ivies any. UT-Austin figures its reputation attracts enough high-performing students without having to pay extra for them.

Quote:
They diverted the money from merit towards need.
Nothing inherently wrong with that. Just a different prioritization of limited funds. OU and UTD are gambling on "buying" future reputation down the line with these students. UT-Austin is passing on that game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas