Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times

Advertisements

I thought a thread about what those of us who have moved from Plano miss might be helpful to people thinking about relocating here. It is also fun to compile such lists. I did it for Wisconsin a few months ago.

1. The excellent public schools. I took these for granted when I lived there, but Plano truly has fine schools. My children have been way ahead of the pack both in Austin and Albuquerque because of the elementary education they had in Plano. No doubt Plano schools were much more demanding as well.

2. The shopping. I miss Nordstrom Rack, and all of those stores at the corner of Park and Preston. I lived in Wentworth Estates--so conveniently located close to that intersection, close to The Shops at Willow Bend and not too far from Ikea and Stonebriar.

3. The beautiful neighborhoods. I live next to a mountain now, so you can't beat that, but Plano neighborhoods are very well-kept with pretty landscaping and pretty houses. I went back to visit last month and everything was green and blooming.

4. Reasonable housing prices. You truly get a lot of house for your money in Plano compared to many other well-to-do suburbs in this country.

5. Many good restaurants. Many people like to complain that Plano is the home of chains, but it also has good local places and local chains. I miss Zorba's, Tzitzikis, Mango, Jasmine I, II, and III and Jaspers along with a bunch of others.

6. The Park and Rec dept. with all of their classes and the beautiful Muehlenbeck Center.

7. The ethnic diversity and emphasis on respecting this diversity in the schools.

8. The lack of serious crime and the police department that takes its job seriously. Since I have moved, I can really see the difference unfortunately.

9. The neighborhood parties and general comaraderie of my neighborhood.

10. The proximity to downtown Dallas, the museums, theaters, etc. It was just a short drive to get to a cultural center.

Those are ten for starters. What do you miss about Plano? Later I might start a thread about what I don't miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM

105 posts, read 330,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
1. The excellent public schools. I took these for granted when I lived there, but Plano truly has fine schools. My children have been way ahead of the pack both in Austin and Albuquerque because of the elementary education they had in Plano. No doubt Plano schools were much more demanding as well.
What do you mean when you say demanding?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-20-2012 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: shortened the quoted text

Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,788 times
Mostly reasonable weather 8/12 months, affordable luxuryish housing, great schools, being able to reach everything in minutes, variety of dinning options, recreation center, abundance of shopping, diversity, family friendly vibe.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
What do you mean when you say demanding?

I mean more is expected from the students. There is more homework and the expectations are high. The schools are highly competitive. This could be seen as a negative as well, but that's for another thread. I started this thread to discuss what people who left Plano miss. I believe that not as much is expected from students or teachers here in Albuquerque, and that makes me sad.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 AM

812 posts, read 2,184,139 times
Golf courses nearby including Ridgeview Ranch, which as a muni is actually pretty good. God bless those 6 lane roads both north/south and east/west. I went back to Philly and Chicago where I lived before. Both cities have grown a lot, yet a lot of the main roads are still 2 lanes. Traffic hell.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
Strange, with Sandia nat lab in Alb I would expect all those PHDs in nuclear physics and nano tech would demand better schools for their kids? Must all be private...or their spending too much time in the lab to notice...

Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Strange, with Sandia nat lab in Alb I would expect all those PHDs in nuclear physics and nano tech would demand better schools for their kids? Must all be private...or their spending too much time in the lab to notice...

My husband is one of those Ph.D's at Sandia. Many of them do send their kids to private or try to move to the area with the best public schools. We live in that area, but they still aren't comparable to Plano. New Mexico is the second poorest state in the country, so the funding isn't like Plano.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM

84 posts, read 242,647 times
Things I miss about Plano:

1. Wide, clean roads that are always "rehabilitated" meaning there are almost no potholes in Plano.

2. Ease of accessibility to 4 freeways to get anywhere in the Metroplex.

3. Friendliness of people, especially at gas stations, grocery stores, convenience stores, and banks.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
My favorite things:
1) good schools
2) well timed traffic lights to handle the heavy traffic. I hate going to Richardson due to their poorly timed traffic lights.
3) huge number of supermarkets. Never been to another city with more supermarkets
4) rear entry garages. Mcmansions with huge garages in front are really unattractive.
5) the alpaca farm in the middle of town. Own your farming roots!
6) That Plano takes DART relatively seriously.
7) The Rec Centers are excellent.
8) Numerous parks.
9) Proximity to fun. I don't really consider Plano to be a 'fun' city, but I lived in McKinney for a short while and considered it much more beautiful, but 40 miles of driving to get to fun was a real drag. I wouldn't move back to McKinney unless I was retired.
10) low crime.
11) That Plano is a relatively dark city at night.
12) That Plano's section of N Central Expressway is relatively decent, compared to Richardson & McKinney's Ghetto and Allen's office buildings.
13) The tollways. Many here seem not to like them, but I like them just fine.

Hate about Plano:
1) That the entire city was designed and built by Conservative Republicans, which means about $1 in $100 went to beautification. There are tons of parks, but they are all just fields. No public arts or sculpture to speak of. All art in the city is part of a commerical property.
2) Lack of visible water. I'm pretty sure Lubbock TX has more visible bodies of water, and that's saying something. Plano has creeks everywhere too. That they are treated as such an afterthought should be a crime.
3) That 50% of the city land is parking lots for decrepit strip malls. The building in the front, parking in the rear morons. Like the houses. Like Las Vegas.
4) That the city doesn't tear down those awful strip malls in the middle of town to build better things, but rather concentrates every dollar on the outskirts and edges of town. I will say at least they are learning with the thing on Legacy, and not following Fairview's footsteps with their massive development straight out the '80s.
5) That all the major intersection light sineage is burned out, and the city doesn't seem to care. I had some relatives come to visit and they couldn't find their way around at night because they had no idea what block they were on because all the lighted signage was burned out.
6) That many of the apartments still don't have fences around them.
7) That Plano is not at all walking friendly. The bike signs recently thrown up don't really cut it.
8) The lack of outdoor patio eating. I don't really care about weather that much, but the weather is fine 6 months out of the year or more; there should be more outdoor places to eat. I kind of think there aren't because Plano is so plain-o.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 04-22-2012 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: added more stuff

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
/whispered aside/Those are llamas @Custer&Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas