Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 16,575 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm looking to graduate 2 years early and fast track into a masters of science in healthcare management.

I attend UT-Dallas, (rated #22 best MBA school)- nothing special and would be getting my masters there as I have a full tuition scholarship for 8 semesters.

I have been unable to find reliable information regarding the job market/salary expectation for such a degree.

Can someone please tell me what I can expect to earn out of college, what my hours will be, job options, mid-career salary, lifestyle, etc? My school's career center kinda sucks and they were unable to provide me with much information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
From UTD Healthcare Mgmt Program Info - possible career choices.

See: BLS May 2011 National Occupational Employment & Wage Estimates - All Occupations

and: BLS 11-9111 Medical & Health Services Mgrs Employment & Wage Estimates

and: BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook - Medical & Health Service Mgrs Employment & Wage Estimates

Did you not read the info from the UTD site?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:51 PM

I already checked that out, but I have heard mixed opinions about job track and would like to know if someone has a boss/son/daughter/uncle/etc that has this degree. Thanks for the post though!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Speaking as HR in healthcare, that degree will only help you if you have a prior clinical background, such as nursing or therapy. It is extremely difficult to be management in healthcare without that background.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Speaking as HR in healthcare, that degree will only help you if you have a prior clinical background, such as nursing or therapy. It is extremely difficult to be management in healthcare without that background.
With all due respect, not true AT ALL..Maybe on the Provider side of the fence this holds more true-even there you can crack mgmt. without clinical. In Payer you don't need a clinical background and it's not difficult to be in Mgmt. I know this from a personal experience, and as person who is married to a woman who is high up in Mgmt. for one of the largest HC Analytics companies in the US.

Quite honestly if a person is going to spring for a Masters with an aim at a career in HC, a MPH is the best target for opportunities in the entire industry-the core disciplines hit all the marks leaning slightly to clinical.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
My husband works for a healthcare management firm in Irving, and he has a bachelors in Economics-Finance and an MBA in Finance. He got started as a consultant in the field, then got the bulk of his management and finance experience at a large hospital in Boston. The company he has been with the last decade works with a variety of state agencies throughout the U.S. mostly in the area of cost containment.

He has mentored many people in his field and they all have a variety of degrees (the majority are definitely general business or finance degrees). It depends a lot on what you want to do within that very broad field.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I stand corrected: In the provider side (hospital) you must have a clinical background.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
My husband works for a healthcare management firm in Irving, and he has a bachelors in Economics-Finance and an MBA in Finance. He got started as a consultant in the field, then got the bulk of his management and finance experience at a large hospital in Boston. The company he has been with the last decade works with a variety of state agencies throughout the U.S. mostly in the area of cost containment.

He has mentored many people in his field and they all have a variety of degrees (the majority are definitely general business or finance degrees). It depends a lot on what you want to do within that very broad field.
Sounds like HMS, great company. I am looking to target them when I pick up a job search again from up here in Boston.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 PM

Hm. So sort of masters degree do y'all recommend? I do not want to be an accountant or anything.

I really thought the MS of Healthcare management would be a good degree.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam79 View Post
Hm. So sort of masters degree do y'all recommend? I do not want to be an accountant or anything.

I really thought the MS of Healthcare management would be a good degree.
It's an excellent degree, go for it..If you want to be on the clinical side, maybe an MPH is better, but you can still work you way into clinical in my opinion. You could pursue a career on the business side of the hospital as well, or work in health care tech. Honestly the possibilities are not limited. I would say its a little early to be asking the salary question unless you have experience, if you are going from undergrad straight to Masters you will still need to gain some experience somewhere before you can get a better idea of what your salary would look like.

Don't let this make you second guess yourself. It's a wise choice, reach for the stars!

Last edited by skids929; 04-27-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: