Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,666 times

Advertisements

Having lived here a few years now, I would tell people coming here (Dallas area) from Northern CA (without limitation, just a few things off the top of my head):

1.) Brace yourself for slow drivers. In many parts of the metroplex you'll encounter people who drive well below the speed limits (Which is dangerous), and will give you dirty looks for being the "tailgater." Tip: Just keep your distance more than you would in CA.

2.) Brace yourself for the lack of scenic drives. Remember that flower symbol that indicates a scenic drive in CA, like the 17-mile drive? Even if that system was here, you wouldn't get a "scenic" drive tag for anywhere around here, unless you want to talk about the street Jerry Jones lives on just to see his mansion. lol

3.) Make sure you tell people you are from NORTHERN Cali. If you just say Cali, people will assume it's LA or San Diego and insuing stereotypes. There is even evidence of it here where all Cali people are lumped in as those who say "The 635" and "The 75," when that is a SoCal thing. In NorCal, you just say the number. "I'm taking 880 to 101." Even when you tell people, you'll still get lumped into being a Cali transplant as I haven't found many here who appreciate the NorCal v. SoCal difference.

4.) If you are outdoorsy, be prepared to take much longer daytrips for such outdoorsy fun. There isn't much of an equivalent to a day trip to Muir Woods around here, for example. Tips: Read up on outdoorsy stuff in Texas (not necessarily DFW, but there may be some gems) and plan trips.

5.) If you find yourself ready to complain about tolls and/or property taxes (Especially if you move to Collin County), remind yourself that not only is the COL MUCH MUCH MUCH lower here, but there is no state income tax!! The lack of state income tax is something I don't allow myself to take for granted.

6.) Brace yourself for the weather. It will be MUCH hotter than you've ever experienced, for a much longer time, and on average there are days of snowfall which you never see in the Bay Area. On the flip side, for the most part, you get a choice of elec provider so you can get cheaper rates. My parents in Cali have no choice and must pay 16 cents per Kwh!! Tip: try to get used to warmer temps to save money anyways. Locals go warmer than I do, but my thermostat is at 75 during the day/evening, and 71 at night. Even then, I'd love to get used to a bit warmer to save a few more bucks during the summer, but it's tough because I love AC. (We go 65 during the day/evening in winter, 68 at night).

7.) In connection with weather, the bugs. It's something you see in the midwest and south, but not in NorCal. Be ready for it in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 04:28 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,666 times
Another tip, especially for those from NorCal, is if you are going to go back home to NorCal to visit in the summer. You might not think to brace yourself for the temp change because you will be going from 100's to 70's-80's, what's so bad about that?

Well, if you are like me, everyone you know in NorCal DOESN'T have AC. They have to have fans at night to cool their bedroom down to sleep even when that day the high was *only* in the 80's. So you need to brace yourself and adjust yourself to going from an all AC environment here in the Summer to no AC (if that is the case for you, and it's very common because in most of NorCal, AC isn't "needed") at your home back in NorCal. I never seem to do this properly and find myself peeved that it is "warmer" in the Bay Area when you are inside a non-AC home than in DFW because of the lack of AC.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times
I like to think of Plano like Orange County (never lived in either, know people who lived in both - lovely relo worlds). High income earners and "conservative" in the sense of don't tax my cap. gains (15% is ok, but 0% would be better), but on social matters, they're more flexible. Basically, they vote with their pocketbooks - Repbulican.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Having lived here a few years now, I would tell people coming here (Dallas area) from Northern CA (without limitation, just a few things off the top of my head):

1.) Brace yourself for slow drivers. In many parts of the metroplex you'll encounter people who drive well below the speed limits (Which is dangerous), and will give you dirty looks for being the "tailgater." Tip: Just keep your distance more than you would in CA.

2.) Brace yourself for the lack of scenic drives. Remember that flower symbol that indicates a scenic drive in CA, like the 17-mile drive? Even if that system was here, you wouldn't get a "scenic" drive tag for anywhere around here, unless you want to talk about the street Jerry Jones lives on just to see his mansion. lol

3.) Make sure you tell people you are from NORTHERN Cali. If you just say Cali, people will assume it's LA or San Diego and insuing stereotypes. There is even evidence of it here where all Cali people are lumped in as those who say "The 635" and "The 75," when that is a SoCal thing. In NorCal, you just say the number. "I'm taking 880 to 101." Even when you tell people, you'll still get lumped into being a Cali transplant as I haven't found many here who appreciate the NorCal v. SoCal difference.

4.) If you are outdoorsy, be prepared to take much longer daytrips for such outdoorsy fun. There isn't much of an equivalent to a day trip to Muir Woods around here, for example. Tips: Read up on outdoorsy stuff in Texas (not necessarily DFW, but there may be some gems) and plan trips.

5.) If you find yourself ready to complain about tolls and/or property taxes (Especially if you move to Collin County), remind yourself that not only is the COL MUCH MUCH MUCH lower here, but there is no state income tax!! The lack of state income tax is something I don't allow myself to take for granted.

6.) Brace yourself for the weather. It will be MUCH hotter than you've ever experienced, for a much longer time, and on average there are days of snowfall which you never see in the Bay Area. On the flip side, for the most part, you get a choice of elec provider so you can get cheaper rates. My parents in Cali have no choice and must pay 16 cents per Kwh!! Tip: try to get used to warmer temps to save money anyways. Locals go warmer than I do, but my thermostat is at 75 during the day/evening, and 71 at night. Even then, I'd love to get used to a bit warmer to save a few more bucks during the summer, but it's tough because I love AC. (We go 65 during the day/evening in winter, 68 at night).

7.) In connection with weather, the bugs. It's something you see in the midwest and south, but not in NorCal. Be ready for it in the summer.
Bugs?! Did someone say BUGS?! Please say they're nothing like FL / GA / SC bugs. Please. Please. Please. (I'm still trying to get a handle on dealing with the snakes, scorpions, armadillos, and wild animals at the local park large enough to eat my two dogs.) Add flying bugs the size of my house like the ones in FL and I'm going to have a coronary.

Great (less creepy) tips above that, too! Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM

383 posts, read 733,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Bugs?! Did someone say BUGS?! Please say they're nothing like FL / GA / SC bugs. Please. Please. Please. (I'm still trying to get a handle on dealing with the snakes, scorpions, armadillos, and wild animals at the local park large enough to eat my two dogs.) Add flying bugs the size of my house like the ones in FL and I'm going to have a coronary.
We have critters the size of VWs here, no joke.

If you want to get a place in the country some time soon, brace yourself.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Dallas is the North Texas Transplant Hub. This mean you really can't judge Texas by Dallas and nor will the above mentioned Texas info be of any use. So don't go with the typical Texas stereotypes in mind, instead expect to see a lot of like minded people...especially if you're coming from the West Coast. Now you're going to find Native Texans from Dallas but their generally more modern or Contempoary...non stereotypical with the exceptions of those living in rural areas.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Huh? I've found myself going 80mph on the highway just to keep up with traffic and I still have cars whipping past me in the left lane.

Quote:
This part of Texas was originally blackland prairie. It is what it is.

Quote:
Oh, a lot of us know the difference. And a lot of us think people from northern California are just a different sub-species of insufferable dolt who move here then complain bitterly about how much it sucks and how great California is. We don't like that.

Quote:
If you're outdoorsy, I would advise you not to move here in the first place.

Quote:
You shouldn't. I predict a state income tax in the next 20 years if we can't get our act together re school funding.

Quote:
I would urge anyone moving here to consult an atlas and do some research before coming here, and to visit during the hottest part of the year.

Quote:
The bugs suck. They're going to be especially bad this year.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,063 times
The summer Texas sun is an entitity unto itself. It can't be bargained with or reasoned with. It is merciless and unremitting. It does not care for your gender,religious background or sexual orientation. It is an equal opportunity messenger of sweat, burn and brightness. Please learn to respect it for 4-5 months.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
The summer Texas sun is an entitity unto itself. It can't be bargained with or reasoned with. It is merciless and unremitting. It does not care for your gender,religious background or sexual orientation. It is an equal opportunity messenger of sweat, burn and brightness. Please learn to respect it for 4-5 months.
Yes. If you and your family are pale, invest in lots and lots of SPF 90 sunscreen.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Now that's fabulous advice! If someone did that to me, I'd wonder what was wrong with him and if everything was okay. In MD, you drive on the shoulder, you get a ticket. Period. There's actually a cop sting spot on my commute home where they nail people every day that get impatient and drive on the shoulder for just a few yards to get to an exit ramp that's backed up.

I hadn't heard of FM either, but I have an obsession with local produce so that's a super great tip, too! Thanks so much!!! (Oh, but what do the numbers mean [i.e. FM1820, etc]?)

LOL... Farm to Market doesnt mean you are likely to get great produce driving down that road...the numbers are just the name of the road...

but you will find that a lot of the burbs here have nice little Farmers Markets... and if you end up near downtown Dallas, there is a HUGE farmers market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas