Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM

383 posts, read 733,333 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: see comment

In all seriousness - you have to make it work for you. You don't always get what you give, but give it a shot because you might be surprised.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Though very amusing, no comments regarding mod actions in forum are permitted per TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 02:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So blanket criticism of several million people as unapproachable and shallow is above a little sideways criticism? Really now.

To your point and as a recovering introvert myself, I have no idea what sorts of pastimes you enjoy.

I'd suggest taking up social-centric hobbies:
1. Wine tasting - it's possible to drink trivial amounts of wine while sampling great wines from all over for not a ton of money AND meet all manner of interesting folks. Same goes for beer and scotch/whiskey. Although hard liquor is a 90/10 male to female kind of thing.

2. Shooting - you'd be shocked at A). how much fun shooting can be B). how great most shooters are to be around C). Shooting does not have to be expensive either

3. Fitness stuff - running, weightlifting, yoga, cycling whatever - all great ways to meet folks. A good friend in Oklahoma is paralyzed from the mid-chest down. He hooked up with a running group and he wheels his chair down the road along with the runners. Generally, he beats his running cohorts.

I guess my point is you and the other poster seem to be blaming everyone else in the metroplex for your shyness and introversion. I assure it does not work like that.
You're putting words in my mouth. Don't do that.

I am a regular at some fitness classes and am at 24 Hour Fitness 4-5x a week. People don't really socialize there unless they know each other already; it's a very eyes-forward-focus-on-your-workout type place.

I wouldn't be shocked at how nice shooters are because I have been shooting. I own two firearms and used to be in a meetup group for shooting. I dropped out mainly because I was not very good at it and didn't enjoy it enough to want to get better at it.

I don't like alcohol, so wine-tasting is out.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,592 times
To most native north texans mark cuban, dirk nowitzki, nolan ryan, the 90s cowboys teams, and the texas rangers are all gods among men along with former players Pudge Rodriguez and Juan Gonzalez. Wear any LA Angels, Lakers, Philadelphia Eagles, or San Antonio Spurs gear at your own risk.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
I hate to be argumentative, and beat a dead horse, but just the other day I was musing that it's a sign you work out too much when nearly all of your very closest friends you met at the gym. I can't speak for you or your gym, but I've been a member of countless gyms across the country, often multiple gyms in the same city, and I routinely have no trouble making friends there (likely because I go so often and find it very easy to just begin talking to someone while we're both waiting for the same machine, etc).

If you go to the gym the same time each day (most people do), you're going to see the same crowd day after day. At times, you're both a captive audience if you're both waiting for a class to begin, equipment to free up, or for a swim lane to open. I make use of that time (probably because I'm a "social butterfly" as was written on my grade school report card), and get to know people with small talk. Eventually it leads to coffee, volunteer work, dinner parties (where I usually pre-eat before I go, as explained below), etc and then great friends!

As for wine-tasting, I love wine, but alcohol does not agree with me. Guess what? I still go. Why not? If I were to not go to social activities because:

1. I can't/don't drink something...
(due to my compromised digestive system, I'd miss all those fun wine & cheese nights with the girls -- I still go, but I have ice water. Bonus: my tab costs less, too),

2. I can't/don't eat something...
(even more limiting for me as, due to my compromised digestive system, many fruits, veggies, grains, condiments, and beverages have been doctor-ruled out of my dient, in addition to things I already don't like, such as meat. I have one of the most limited diets of anyone I know, yet I don't let my diet dictate which events I go to with friends; I simply pre-eat before I go, or eat what I can while I'm there. If I were to let my diet dictate my life, I'd never see anyone. Dinner party? Cook out? Bull roast? Bring it on. I'll make it work.),

3. I can't physically do something...
(I need a new knee and hip surgery, yet if we decide we're going on a hike, I do what I can on the trail (which won't be much at all), then make plans to meet the group at the lunch spot for giggles and fun; while they're hiking, I may tend to the pups, etc. - life takes adjustments, not not doing something),

...I'd never get out of the house or have many friends. I don't expect life to adjust to me, I adjust to life, and find it much more rewarding that way.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 05-19-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I hate to be argumentative, and beat a dead horse, but just the other day I was musing that it's a sign you work out too much when nearly all of your very closest friends you met at the gym. I can't speak for you or your gym, but I've been a member of countless gyms across the country, often multiple gyms in the same city, and I routinely have no trouble making friends there (likely because I go so often and find it very easy to just begin talking to someone while we're both waiting for the same machine, etc).

If you go to the gym the same time each day (most people do), you're going to see the same crowd day after day. At times, you're both a captive audience if you're both waiting for a class to begin, equipment to free up, or for a swim lane to open. I make use of that time (probably because I'm a "social butterfly" as was written on my grade school report card), and get to know people with small talk. Eventually it leads to coffee, volunteer work, dinner parties (where I usually pre-eat before I go, as explained below), etc and then great friends!

As for wine-tasting, I love wine, but alcohol does not agree with me. Guess what? I still go. Why not? If I were to not go to social activities because:

1. I can't/don't drink something...
(due to my compromised digestive system, I'd miss all those fun wine & cheese nights with the girls -- I still go, but I have ice water. Bonus: my tab costs less, too),

2. I can't/don't eat something...
(even more limiting for me as, due to my compromised digestive system, many fruits, veggies, grains, condiments, and beverages have been doctor-ruled out of my dient, in addition to things I already don't like, such as meat. I have one of the most limited diets of anyone I know, yet I don't let my diet dictate which events I go to with friends; I simply pre-eat before I go, or eat what I can while I'm there. If I were to let my diet dictate my life, I'd never see anyone. Dinner party? Cook out? Bull roast? Bring it on. I'll make it work.),

3. I can't physically do something...
(I need a new knee and hip surgery, yet if we decide we're going on a hike, I do what I can on the trail (which won't be much at all), then make plans to meet the group at the lunch spot for giggles and fun; while they're hiking, I may tend to the pups, etc. - life takes adjustments, not not doing something),

...I'd never get out of the house or have many friends. I don't expect life to adjust to me, I adjust to life, and find it much more rewarding that way.
I'm not miserable or depressed because I don't know many people; most times it doesn't actually bother me. It's a hassle sometimes when I'm bored or when I need help doing something.

I'm not a complete social idiot though; I do have a date tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
I disagree with the stereotype that Texans are generally friendly. Polite, yes, but I wouldn't say necessarily say friendly.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I disagree with the stereotype that Texans are generally friendly. Polite, yes, but I wouldn't say necessarily say friendly.
I think you're reading Texans wrong. We are a friendly group, but that doesn't mean we want to adopt everyone we meet and take 'em home with us! As stated before, we are an independent sort, and are a live and let live bunch... and, rightly or wrongly, expect you to be the same.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Gee, makes you wonder how it became a stereotype in the first place.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
I think you're reading Texans wrong. We are a friendly group, but that doesn't mean we want to adopt everyone we meet and take 'em home with us! As stated before, we are an independent sort, and are a live and let live bunch... and, rightly or wrongly, expect you to be the same.
I was just looking over my group of close friends and realized that not a SINGLE one was born in Texas. Everywhere from California, New York to Illinois to even Russia. But none from Texas. I'm the lone native among the group .

Old 05-22-2012, 11:18 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
I was just looking over my group of close friends and realized that not a SINGLE one was born in Texas. Everywhere from California, New York to Illinois to even Russia. But none from Texas. I'm the lone native among the group .
Funny! Most of the friends I've made here are Texans. They tell me I will receive my honorary Texan status next year on my 10th anniversary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas