Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM

81 posts, read 208,888 times

Advertisements

Wife just got a job in Arlington and I may be getting picked up in SE Dallas, currently living in Benbrook. I know all about the crappy neighborhoods along I-20, whats going to be my safest bet when looking for a new neighborhood with good schools; Grand Prairie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Look at Mansfield too. They have good schools.

Naima

Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,309 times
I would suggest looking at Cedar Hill.
It is located next to the east end of Joe Poole Lake and
close to the Cedar Hill state park on the south end of Beltline and I-20.

Just a note to check the homes foundation, there was an entry inquiring about
foundation problems in that part of the metro.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
not that familiar with Cedar Hill schools but it is smaller district than Mansfield
TEA site has all the school/ISD ratings--just remember that those ratings come from the last year TAKS was given and new ratings based on the new STAAR tests won't go up for another year or maybe two...

Arlington ISD has Martin HS which is in SW part of Arlington along 20--considered best HS in Arlington so you might look in that catchment area
best shopping/restaurants are in that area anyway--
if you go as far as Cedar Hill you are closer to Dallas
and if you check that map you can see that it would be an awkward commute to Arlington from Cedar Hill--
the lake is in the way going west so you have to go into Duncanville to get 20 and then go west--
I guess it depends on where in Arlington your wife's job is--

you might check out Dalworthington Gardens which is small town surrounded by Arlington--funnels to AISD/Martin HS-
we know someone who works with my husband who have lived there for 20 yrs or so--they love it
says very safe, has its own police force which is very good--but finding home might be problem

Regarding Mansfield--my husband also works with guy who bought in Mansfield--they like their house fine but bought right before RE market dropped--wife said they are upside down with their mortgage and don't know if they will ever be able to get price they paid for years--so they are stuck
and now realize that most of what they want to do--shop/eat/music--are located outside Mansfield area
they usually wind up around the Parks or Highlands area or go into FTW
so that is a hassle...

IF you buy in Mansfield--most word of mouth says that area EAST of 287 is generally rated more desireable than west
that area has worse infrastructure/streets--more rural
and schools not considered as good although I haven't seen any recent ratings and know they were building new schools in west section and there is new housing going up there
just be aware of flooding that can happen in that area (in general) and that some developments are on local water systems and are not happy with their providers...if you consider buying make sure you know where your water supply is coming from...

Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM

179 posts, read 557,595 times
How old are your kids? I grew up in far North Grand Prairie, and let me tell you, the schools have gone downhill in the past couple of decades. The neighborhood I grew up in, though, is mostly zoned to AISD, and it's a great 'hood. It's the Nottingham Neighbors neighborhood, which is Larsen Elem and Lamar High (not sure what middle school is in that feeder pattern.) People I went to school with have moved back into the neighborhood, on the AISD side (about 1/4 of the neighborhood is zoned GPISD), and they seem very happy there. It has fantastic access to I-30, 360, and 161 and it's a breeze to SE Dallas. My husband works in Deep Ellum and it's about a 20 minute commute if there are no accidents.

Edit*** I don't know much about South Grand Prairie (south of I-20) anymore, but when I was in high school, it was pretty nice out there, and the high school is definitely better on that side of town. I probably wouldn't live in GP between I-30 and I-20 myself, although there many be decent pockets.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
I dont know that I would go to Grand Prarie, I can only think of one section that is decent. MAnsfield is decent and SOME of the schools are good as long as you fall into Masnfield High ONLY. And i deffinatley agree with loves2read about staying east of 287. HAve you considered SW arlington>? I know its a bit further west than mansfield but closer to i20 and much faster getting in./

We used to live in mansfield down off Matlock and Country Club. It was a long series of stoplights just to get out to i20. later we moved back to texas and bought a house in Fannin farm off S. Cooper and hardist (right after Sublett) great neighborhood,went to mansfield ISD schools which my kids loved and eay to get to DT dallas. It took about 8 minutes less that the Mansfield Commute.

I personally love teh other SW Arlington Areas too off Bowen Rd, Park Springs Road Area, Kelly Elliott etc. AS long as you fall into These Schools, Little Young and Martin. The only area I would stay away from is the small patch of homes right at the south end of lake arlington. I guess they have had some crime issues and people say that they people commiting the crimes will sneak in from that bad part of Ft. Worth right around the lake and back out without problems. But the rest of the lake area is really nice. a good agent can steer you properly if they really care about your interests. If you can afford more, then Dalworthington Gardens is very nice.

Im not very familiar with Cedar Hill area but I havent heard the best things about it. Thats about all I can say so I wll stop there on that. Feel free to MEssage me with questions, Good luck

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
one more comment on Mansfiled....

I found that when we lived in Mansfield we were always in Arlington shopping, eating movies etc.

That and the shorter commute were big parts of the reasons why we moved to Arlington the next time adn were very happy we did. But like anywhere you need to research the schools and the area .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas