Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 38,841 times

Advertisements

Hey guys how are you?
I am considering moving to Deep Ellum because they have industrial lofts that I've always wanted to live in since I've moved from NYC a year ago. However, the neighborhood I've heard could be trouble at night. There are no grocery stores in the area nor restaurants within the vicinity of some of these buildings. My questions are, is it a high crime area? (living in corner of Buckner and Garland now)
Any particular lofts that you have lived in that you were happy with? What was it like living in the area?
Any input would help, thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM

109 posts, read 160,933 times
Don't know much about ones you mentioned but do know that Plano has lofts in old down town and in new Legacy downtown. I think East side ones are less pricy and ideally located near station so you can check those out as well. Two co workers who bought houses in Deep Elum seems to like their town.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmixNYC View Post
Hey guys how are you?
I am considering moving to Deep Ellum because they have industrial lofts that I've always wanted to live in since I've moved from NYC a year ago. However, the neighborhood I've heard could be trouble at night. There are no grocery stores in the area nor restaurants within the vicinity of some of these buildings. My questions are, is it a high crime area? (living in corner of Buckner and Garland now)
Any particular lofts that you have lived in that you were happy with? What was it like living in the area?
Any input would help, thank you very much
The neighborhood had a couple of high profile shootings about 7-8 years ago and was stuck in an "akward" period between being the hot nightlife spot it was in the 1990s (which Uptown took over in the 2000's) and the stable, artsy/alternative neigborhood it is today. It is safe enough, but still a city neighborhood so don't be dumb (ie, walk your dog at 1am with headphones on..... be aware of your surroundings). It's basically the Dallas version of the LES or East Village - on an obviously smaller scale.

There are tons of restaurants in Deep Ellum- I can't think of any loft buildings that aren't within at the most a few blocks of a restaurant or three. There isn't a grocery store in the neighborhood, but it's a 10 minute walk to the Dallas Farmer's Market or a short drive to a number of grocery stores (Albertson's on McKinney, Fiesta on Ross, etc).

I haven't lived there but many friends have. It is a unique neighborhood in that everyone knows everyone. My friends know all the restaurant/ shop/ bar owners & staff and most of the people in their buildings.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
CHL - Concealed Handgun License

I like Deep Ellum a lot. The rub is some parts border really tough areas. It's a bit easy to wander into a rough area or for malefactors to ease into and out of Deep Ellum.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Unless you are vegetarian and not interested, Rudolph's Market on Elm Street is a great butcher shop.

There is a 7-11 at the corner of Elm & Good Latimer for emergency food purchases.

There also seems to be an Asian market near Elm & Malcolm X.

And yes, the farmers' market is nearby.

I never lived in Deep Ellum but nearby in Old East Dallas. It was great for being near most things that I wanted to do. Lack of main stream shopping was the biggest con until I discovered all of the many little shops in the area.

Good Luck with what ever you decide.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,392 times
I think it's a great area. It's definitely one of the more affordable areas in the center of Dallas and all it has to offer.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I'm not sure what EDS means about "it's a bit easy to wander into a rough area"...does he mean South Dallas? Because you would have to go under I-30 and down Malcolm X street to do that..

Yes I agree many people know each other in Deep Ellum and nearby Expo Park (the entrance to Fair Park). Personally I have never felt unsafe there - even back in the days when it was supposed to be bad and I was going out there at 2 am. I always park in weird little spots that most people don't know about and I've never been accosted...I also do that going to the fair.

I went to school with members of the Andreason family (owners of Rudolph's Meat Market) and they are great people - also check out http://www.mozzco.com/

Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Don't forget about this:
Deep Ellum Outdoor Market

Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM

12 posts, read 38,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It's basically the Dallas version of the LES or East Village - on an obviously smaller scale.
Well that gives me a good idea of what I should look out for. Yes a CHL is on my bucket list. As much as I want to rid the world of scum the right way instead of jail time, I rather not have to deal with police.
How about burglary in the area? The places Im looking at is a block away from Fair Park which Ive heard can get quite bad.
I took will check out those Plano lofts. Thank you
the reason I'm looking at lofts is I hope the use the apartment as a photo studio.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmixNYC View Post
Well that gives me a good idea of what I should look out for. Yes a CHL is on my bucket list. As much as I want to rid the world of scum the right way instead of jail time, I rather not have to deal with police.
How about burglary in the area? The places Im looking at is a block away from Fair Park which Ive heard can get quite bad.
I took will check out those Plano lofts. Thank you
the reason I'm looking at lofts is I hope the use the apartment as a photo studio.
A block away from Fair Park isn't Deep Ellum. If it's near Parry & Robert McCollum Blvd, you're looking in Exposition Park, which is a good little artist hood, but definitely has even fewer amenities than Deep Ellum (other side of I-30).

If you're looking a block away from Fair Park in any other direction, I'd strongly advise looking somewhere else because those neighborhoods are legitimately not safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas