Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 15,156 times

Advertisements

So I currently live and work in downtown Fort Worth. I'm a single guy in his mid twenties and I much prefer the Dallas nightlife. This is a big enough issue for me to consider moving east. My office is right off the TRE station in Fort Worth. As long as I have my Kindle, I don't mind the hour long commute each way. This sounds good on paper, but is it practical?

Any decent neighborhoods with easy accessibility to the TRE station in Dallas that also nearby nightlight and other attractive amenities to a single guy (bars, coffee shops, restaraunts)?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM

219 posts, read 608,879 times
Hour long commutes sound good in theory but not in practice. You might not be up for much going out with a commute like that.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkAvenger View Post
So I currently live and work in downtown Fort Worth. I'm a single guy in his mid twenties and I much prefer the Dallas nightlife. This is a big enough issue for me to consider moving east. My office is right off the TRE station in Fort Worth. As long as I have my Kindle, I don't mind the hour long commute each way. This sounds good on paper, but is it practical?

Any decent neighborhoods with easy accessibility to the TRE station in Dallas that also nearby nightlight and other attractive amenities to a single guy (bars, coffee shops, restaraunts)?
Thanks!
Not even a good move. Move over on 7th just west of DT FW and call it a day.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2133 View Post
Hour long commutes sound good in theory but not in practice. You might not be up for much going out with a commute like that.
I might disagree. I had an hour-ish commute in Houston and took the bus. I did a lot of reading, studying and napping. It wasn't too bad. You could always do it for 6months/1year and then re-group. (however long your new lease would be)

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
If you lived in one of the rental buildings downtown, you could catch the train out of Union Station. Or you could live in one of the rentals at Victory Park and catch the train there. If it's Uptown Dallas you want to have access to in terms of living, Victory Park would be the best option.

Do you work regular 9-5 type hours? It might not be too bad and it beats driving to Fort Worth every day in terms of wear and tear on your car and gas prices. But, if you have irregular hours, I don't know if you want to be doing the train thing late at night all the time. That might get old.

Maybe you should take the train to Dallas and back one day just to see what the experience is like for you.

Here is the list of locations of the stops the TRE makes between Dallas and Fort Worth:

Stations - Trinity Railway Express (TRE)

Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not even a good move. Move over on 7th just west of DT FW and call it a day.
That's where I live right now. Not impressed.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I did a lot of reading...
That's the plan! I would never do an hour commute each day since eyes always have to be on the road. But on the train I can read, listen music, and relax. In theory anyway. As someone mentioned, best bet is to give it a try

Another factor to consider is that my employer pays 100% of transit costs. Since the office is downtown, I would not have to worry about monthly parking either.
I currently live on West 7th. It's okay, but I feel Dallas would suit me better. I currently pay too much in rent. I regret signing the lease now knowing there are much better bargins out there.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Do you work regular 9-5 type hours?
yes. The only instances I would deviate from that time is if I go to happy hour

Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
DART.org - DART Rail System Map

Dart Rail stops near CityPlace, about a hundred yards from the thick of Uptown. Check the rail map. You can take either the red, blue, or green line and hook up with the TRE.

Or Mockingbird Station
Or Deep Elum

Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM

332 posts, read 1,386,947 times
I would go for it, if you don't like the train it is about a 30 minute commute with light traffic from downtown to downtown. If you have to take DART to the TRE I don't think it would be worth it from a time stand point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas