Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 PM
HYD HYD started this thread

29 posts, read 48,507 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your advise guys SunnyTXsmile, LQQKOUT, Squirl ... really appreciate your time.

The only reason i haven't reported to cops yet is because i'll get a ticket for driving uninsured and not sure about the courts and laws of TX.

i'm a student don't want to get into these cases ... and cannot afford a lawyer too. I was just too honest and kind to leave the other person at the scene believing them ......or i could have just said i didn't drive the car as the person who rented the car was just right next to me in the car .

lesson learned though .. never trust anyone and being honest hurts sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Did your friend pay for the rental car with a credit card? If so, the car is probably insured through them too (it's an automatic deal). And, as long as you had his permission to drive, you are covered. You need to check on that asap. If you do have to pay, never pay in cash. Send them a cashier's check and fill out a return receipt requested when he mail it at the post office.
That's not necessarily true. It depends on the terms of the coverage.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Did your friend pay for the rental car with a credit card? If so, the car is probably insured through them too (it's an automatic deal). And, as long as you had his permission to drive, you are covered. You need to check on that asap. If you do have to pay, never pay in cash. Send them a cashier's check and fill out a return receipt requested when he mail it at the post office.
Thanks Elan for responding .... The car is my roommates work vehicle and his company insurance is looking into the case yet.

Yes my frnd who is the owner of this company rented vehicle had given me permission to drive it and he was along side with me in the car when this incident took place. He actually asked me to drive as he was feeling drowsy ( had his dental work in afternoon).

I don't know much of these insurance clauses and laws ... that the reason why the other party is threatening me that if i don't pay them back their deductible .. they will call cops and get me some jail time too( wasn't sure how's that possible ) .... but as i said .. i'm still in school and don't want to get all these cases on my history which might be costly when applying for my jobs ( i'm an immigrant student)

Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
That's true Sunny, but since there is no way for other driver's to be listed with the CC automatic coverage, most times they are. At least a few years ago they were, she really should check. It might save her some money.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Lesson is never drive uninsured. However, from where the damage is I think it would be obvious he cut in front of you. Try that argument with his insurance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM

34 posts, read 156,168 times
9 out of 10 times the vehicle which rear-ended the other will be held responsible for the damages. The Texas law states that a person must allow proper following distance and be attentive. Now in your case you wern't breaking any of these;however, you have no witness. Since there are no witnesses then we must look at the physical evidence, which will be the damage to the vehicles. Where exactly is the damage to the other vehicle? If it is strictly to the rear of the vehicle, then is is bad for you, since the damage want collaborate your story;however, if there is some damge to the side of the vehicle, then this does support your version since a vehicle would have had to cut you off to be damaged on the side and rear. I hope you got some photos of the other vehicle as well as the rental.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwhite View Post
9 out of 10 times the vehicle which rear-ended the other will be held responsible for the damages. The Texas law states that a person must allow proper following distance and be attentive. Now in your case you wern't breaking any of these;however, you have no witness. Since there are no witnesses then we must look at the physical evidence, which will be the damage to the vehicles. Where exactly is the damage to the other vehicle? If it is strictly to the rear of the vehicle, then is is bad for you, since the damage want collaborate your story;however, if there is some damge to the side of the vehicle, then this does support your version since a vehicle would have had to cut you off to be damaged on the side and rear. I hope you got some photos of the other vehicle as well as the rental.
actually i have my friend beside me at the time ...not sure if that counts as evidence .

and yes i took the pic , their rear bumper from right side got a slight crack when it brushed my Cars front left and every thing else of the rear bumper is scratch less. Since the other car its a very big suv its bumper was too big and being brushed against my car it cracked a little .

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM

126 posts, read 339,728 times
HYD, no a co-passenger is not your evidence. Like others suggested, the pictures you took can be a good evidence for argument. Good you did'nt file a police report, you would be in trouble too since you don't have insurance.
Would your friend not offer to pay for this since he/she was the one at whose behest you took this risk? Did you check what coverage your car has if yuo were driving?
Also, what credit card did you use to pay? A few cards offer auto-insurance.

I know its after thought but a few lessons for you here:
- Never drive un-insured
- Always file a police report
- If your friend was drowsy, how about he/she called a cab instead of putting you in this spot?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYD View Post
Thanks Elan for responding .... The car is my roommates work vehicle and his company insurance is looking into the case yet. .
You guys could be in big trouble, your friend, too. Most company car insurance policies don't cover other/non-employees driving the car. I would be surprised if it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYD View Post
actually i have my friend beside me at the time ...not sure if that counts as evidence .
Careful here. If your reason for driving was that your friend was too drowsy to drive, he likely cannot be counted as a credible witness.

Good luck with this.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM

thanks for all the responses guys ...Really Really Appreciate each and every ones time and concern !!

well i learned a very good lesson ..never driver other car irrespective of the situation and never trust people they will just flip the side as their favor ( at least some ).

Now its all done i just screwed it up though ...... not sure what the outcome might be with insurance coverage and i already got a notice from other party insurance company regarding this incident and my frnds insurance company is still looking into the case and haven't came to decision yet .

So should i wait till my friends insurance company makes a decision or need to call other insurance before they make this any more complicated then it is already for me ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas