Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

A bit of gloating, which I am never above!, our son owned the MCAT. One of his top choices, this week anyway, for med. school is Washington University in St. Louis. Recently, Wash. U. Med. has the sported highest mean entering MCAT scores of any med. school in the country, and by a lot I might add. By their standards he was just above average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times
Congratulations to him! That's definitely a load of stress off. Now he can fully concentrate on the rest of the process - which unfortunately really hasn't even begun for him yet. (I'm talking about the long haul all the way through the first 2-3 years after residency/fellowship.) But you have to take these moments when they present themselves to relax and celebrate, even if just for a few days/weeks.

Last edited by tyanger; 05-15-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Congratulations to him! That's definitely a load of stress off. Now he can fully concentrate on the rest of the process - which unfortunately really hasn't even begun for him yet. (I'm talking about the long haul all the way through the first 2-3 years after residency/fellowship.) But you have to take these moments when they present themselves to relax and celebrate, even if it's just for a few days/weeks.
Thank you. He understands that doing well on the MCAT is little more than a single prerequisite in a line of prerequisites, if you will, to finally becoming a good young doctor. You make a good point, while normally unflappable he was quite stressed the last few days.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A bit of gloating, which I am never above!, our son owned the MCAT. One of his top choices, this week anyway, for med. school is Washington University in St. Louis. Recently, Wash. U. Med. has the sported highest mean entering MCAT scores of any med. school in the country, and by a lot I might add. By their standards he was just above average.
Congratulations! I am very familiar with Wash U in SL, they produce some great engineers as well for the oil business. Congrats to your son for this great accomplishment. You are justifiably proud of him!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Congrats to your son! I also am familiar with Wash U - one of my classmates went to law school there - I visted a few times and was allowed to sit in on some classes... I also have some SMU friends from St. Louis and environs - great town.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Congratulations! I am very familiar with Wash U in SL, they produce some great engineers as well for the oil business. Congrats to your son for this great accomplishment. You are justifiably proud of him!
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I'm partial to UTSW and UT Houston - due to the quality v. price ratio offered by those two schools. Wash. U. is his "wish/dream" school we shall see.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Congrats to your son! I also am familiar with Wash U - one of my classmates went to law school there - I visted a few times and was allowed to sit in on some classes... I also have some SMU friends from St. Louis and environs - great town.
Thanks.

We'll see where he ends up going.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I'm partial to UTSW and UT Houston - due to the quality v. price ratio offered by those two schools. Wash. U. is his "wish/dream" school we shall see.
I think Texas residents definitely have it good when it comes to medical education. I know people still paying off their medical school loans 15-20 years after graduating. I went to undergrad and med school in Texas and graduated medical school with under 40K in student loans and had them completely paid off one year after completing residency (4 years out of medical school). Some of that was because of scholarships, but mostly it was cheap tuition and cheap housing. I'm sure rates are up now though, so I only speak for myself.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I think Texas residents definitely have it good when it comes to medical education. I know people still paying off their medical school loans 15-20 years after graduating. I went to undergrad and med school in Texas and graduated medical school with under 40K in student loans and had them completely paid off one year after completing residency (4 years out of medical school). Some of that was because of scholarships, but mostly it was cheap tuition and cheap housing. I'm sure rates are up now though, so I only speak for myself.
Roger that. Tuition and fees at UTSW Medicine ring in at ~$15 yr.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM

148 posts, read 307,599 times
with that score (39+ I assume), your son will could get some kind of merit scholarship somewhere. possibly full tuition at some top 20 schools, including washu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas