Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times

Advertisements

I call the Dallas North Tollway....a scam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Good stuff DitsyD ^^^
Adding:
North Dallas Toll Way is unique in its naming. The tollway did not extend north of LBJ (635). However the road that extended from LBJ to parts north was Dallas Parkway. When the city extended the NDTW beyond LBJ, the designation of Dallas Parkway was relegated to the access road. I worked at Trinity Mills and Dallas Parkway when the tollway was under construction. That was a pain.
Additional trivia:
Talking about Dallas Parkway, the road in Plano known as Plano Parkway used to be known as Dallas North Parkway. With Dallas Parkway and the Dallas North Tollway extending into Collin County, the powers that be decided that a name change would be wise.

Central Expressway is named for the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. The freeway runs over the old railway right-of-way for that railroad.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 PM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
In terms of Dallas North Tollway vs. Parkway, it is confusing but I use it like this: The Parkway seems to refer to the frontage road of the Tollway and that frontage road is not tolled.

I use the term Dallas North Tollway if I'm referring to the actual freeway itself where a toll is required.
I agree. I think the difference is feeder vs. toll road.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Pan Terra has it right - for Dallas natives it's just called 'the tollway' as I-30 to Fort Worth was just called 'the turnpike'.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Pan Terra has it right - for Dallas natives it's just called 'the tollway' as I-30 to Fort Worth was just called 'the turnpike'.
I work at the Honda dealership in Frisco which is in the exact northwest corner of the Tollway and 121. That is what we tell people when asking for directions. Even up here it is still referred to colloquially as "the Tollway."

Technically our address is 1601 North Dallas Parkway, Frisco as this is the proper name for the access road of the Tollway. The newly completed interchange between the Sam Rayburn Tollway (official name for the tolled center lanes of 121... Texas 121 is the official name of the access road) shows separate exits leaving northbound Sam Rayburn Tollway marked "North Dallas Parkway" and "North Dallas Tollway." The former will take you to the access road, the later to the tolled main lanes.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
You are correct on the first part; Dallas North Tollway for the toll road and Dallas Parkway for the frontage roads.
However, US75 = Central Expressway (I-75 runs from Kentucky thru Michigan). I-635=LBJ Freeway. The frontage roads with traffic lights are just that, frontage roads for the named, numbered freeways.
Dallas North Tollway because it runs north from downtown, as opposed to the I-35 tollroad that ran west to Ft. Worth in the old days.
Not that it's a big deal or anything, but I-75 actually runs from Michigan, thru KY and TN, thru Atlanta, and then all the way down to Miami FL!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I work at the Honda dealership in Frisco which is in the exact northwest corner of the Tollway and 121. That is what we tell people when asking for directions. Even up here it is still referred to colloquially as "the Tollway."

Technically our address is 1601 North Dallas Parkway, Frisco as this is the proper name for the access road of the Tollway. The newly completed interchange between the Sam Rayburn Tollway (official name for the tolled center lanes of 121... Texas 121 is the official name of the access road) shows separate exits leaving northbound Sam Rayburn Tollway marked "North Dallas Parkway" and "North Dallas Tollway." The former will take you to the access road, the later to the tolled main lanes.
Where does the renumbering start? As I said, I worked just south of Trinity Mills at 17300 North Dallas Parkway - the Bent Tree Green office condo (at the time). It gets a bit confusing when trying to place the block from the address number, similarly with Central Expressway, when the numbers keep starting over.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Good stuff DitsyD ^^^
Adding:
North Dallas Toll Way is unique in its naming. The tollway did not extend north of LBJ (635). However the road that extended from LBJ to parts north was Dallas Parkway. When the city extended the NDTW beyond LBJ, the designation of Dallas Parkway was relegated to the access road. I worked at Trinity Mills and Dallas Parkway when the tollway was under construction. That was a pain.
This^^

The Dallas Parkway was there before the Toll Way was constructed. Plus, local businesses which included several new car dealerships, did not want to be located on a Tollway since their customers might think they had to pay a toll to get there. Hence the frontage roads kept the name as Dallas Parkway.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Not that it's a big deal or anything, but I-75 actually runs from Michigan, thru KY and TN, thru Atlanta, and then all the way down to Miami FL!
Thanks. Guess I didn't look at my map close enough.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Where does the renumbering start? As I said, I worked just south of Trinity Mills at 17300 North Dallas Parkway - the Bent Tree Green office condo (at the time). It gets a bit confusing when trying to place the block from the address number, similarly with Central Expressway, when the numbers keep starting over.
My guess is that the numbers probably get reassigned in the different cities. It doesn't make much sense. I know people have put our address in their GPS systems and have been taken to the Sewell dealership (former Hummer dealership) on the Tollway near Plano Pkwy, several miles south of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas