Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:12 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,722,691 times

Advertisements

TXDOT is just one of the agencies managing roads in the state.

There are two major toll agencies in the state and several smaller ones. They and TXDOT do not see eye to eye on a lot of issues and are often at odds. One example is NTTA taking 121 from TXDOT.

You also have the local Councils of Government (COG) composed of the county and city planners who also manage the roads.

Then there is the Federal DOT which coordinates interstates, us highways, and major bridges.

All of this is tied together by regional and national planning via the TEA-XX acts which prioritize funding at the national level which then drives the local planning.

The nice thing about toll roads is that they get built quicker and are better maintained. The nice thing about having local toll agencies is that the money stays here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,937 times
Lived here when I was very young - early 1960s - and moved back after college in 1978. It is barely recognizable now. Most hwys are called by their numbers - longtime natives use the names. I still don't know where the Julius Schepps fwy is...
The Turnpike - I-30 between Dallas and Ft. Worth; still had tollbooths in the mid '70s; now renamed Tom Landry Hwy but don't know anyone who calls it that.
The Tollway/ North Dallas Tollway - once upon a time this was a railroad easement which is why it is so straight. The Tollway was built and paid off years ago; in the 80s they doubled the tolls (from 25 cents @ NW Hwy to 50 cents) & raised enough to build it out North beyond LBJ to Belt Line, over-paving the brand-new Dallas Parkway, which became the access/feeder roads. It's just kept growing - guess they will stop at OKlahoma.
Central Expwy - is "Central" if you are close to downtown (M-Streets, HP) and realize that they named it that when there was almost no development north of Forest or west of Preston Rd. When I came in 1978, it was two-lanes blacktop each way & Campbell Rd. was the LAST exit before the great dark beyond of Plano, about 6 miles north. It was country.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM

931 posts, read 2,124,991 times
The fact is locals know the dual names and unfortunately visitors do not. When giving directions I try to use the Highway Number but than you also have some with three names and how many know that many of our main roads also have a Number.

Now that we have gps on our cell phones life is easier right?

Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 PM

67 posts, read 93,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Where does the renumbering start? As I said, I worked just south of Trinity Mills at 17300 North Dallas Parkway - the Bent Tree Green office condo (at the time). It gets a bit confusing when trying to place the block from the address number, similarly with Central Expressway, when the numbers keep starting over.
Numbers are based on city. Bent Tree numbers are Dallas. Plano has its own numbering system as does Frisco. I believe the 0 north/south point in Dallas is near the zoo, not downtown. Plano has east and west but no north/south designation as the numbers for N/S roads starts at the most southern point. Plano Pkwy east of Coit is about the 600 block (North). McDermott is the 9000 block (North). Central Expressway (US 75) is the E/W divide. I'm not sure how Frisco does its numbering, but it appears that they adopt the "North only" numbering as well.

If you live in North Dallas it's unusual to see E/W on roads as it appears based on the numbers that it begins at Riverside Dr in Irving. Dallas actually does their numbering well. Usually it's a mile between major roads. So, LBJ is 13000 block, Spring Valley is 14000, Belt Line is 15000, and Frankford is the 18000 block. Going east, Preston is the 6000 block, Hillcrest is the 6900 block, and Coit/75 is the 8000 block.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:37 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,169,658 times
Well, I guess I am an old fart because I remember when LBJ and the tollroad were constructed.

Dallas North Tollway, I guess, was named that to distinguish it from the Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike. At the time those were the only two toll roads in the area.

Dallas Parkway was the extension of the tollroad past some point, a poster above said LBJ Freeway but I suspect the distinction between Dallas Pkwy and DNT was made before LBJ was built. I remember very clearly how we would ride our horses in the area of Noel Road, Preston and Belt Line, etc. But I was just a kid and I can't remember exactly how the streets were out there. I definitely remember when there was nothing at Belt Line and Noel Rd. except the Owens Corning fiberglass factory and the Addison School. There was a bit stamp redemption center (I think it was not Green Stamps but the other one - perhaps someone else can remind us - ) just north of LBJ. I remember playing a society gig in the building in the early 90s, when it had been renamed but I don't remember what it had been renamed to.

It's kind of weird how we old Dallasites call some roads by their number (190) and others by their name (Central Expressway). I suspect that the roads that were deep in the country and had FM designations, we call by number and the ones that were in the city and had a name designation we still think of by the name. That might be a quiz question to determine when you came to Dallas - for example, do you call it "President George Bush Tollway", or do you call it "FM 190" (or is it SH 190? I really don't remember.)

To finish off, Interstate 75 does not pass within 1000 miles of Dallas. Central Expressway is US 75, not Interstate 75. And if you really want to be a serious Dallasite, you need to understand the difference between South Central Expwy, North Central Expwy, Central Expressway (in downtown, I believe now renamed as Cesar Chavez St.) and that all of these came from Central Avenue which ran alongside the Central Pacific tracks. For that matter, Coit Road used to go all the way south to Mockingbird Lane. The portion of Coit Rd. between Mockingbird and Forest was built over with Central Expressway.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,520,993 times
Quote:
That might be a quiz question to determine when you came to Dallas - for example, do you call it "President George Bush Tollway", or do you call it "FM 190" (or is it SH 190? I really don't remember.)
The "George Bush" (moved here in 2002). I didn't even realize that 190 was the same thing until a few years ago.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,420,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
The "George Bush" (moved here in 2002). I didn't even realize that 190 was the same thing until a few years ago.
And I'm still calling Sam Rayburn "121".

Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,096,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
And I'm still calling Sam Rayburn "121".
You're not the only one!

Old 01-30-2017, 04:08 PM

445 posts, read 407,722 times
DNT is entirely on the north side of Dallas downtown.

Similar to Dallas Parkway becoming service/frontage road of DNT when the tollway is built, Highway 121 became service road for Sam Rayburn Tollway. They can't turn an existing public highway into tollway, they have to build the tollway. So the public highway remains as a signaled road with ramps to the new tollway.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:22 AM

188 posts, read 227,793 times
If you want to take a look at the history of Dallas roads, the author of "Dallas Fort Worth Freeways" has a website where you can download a pdf copy Dallas Fort Worth Freeways
Excellent pics of Dallas throughout the building of all the major roads. Pics of Dallas Parkway start around page 55 or so and show it was the roadway north from LBJ. Later the DNT came along the same path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas