U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,612,360 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Dallas area for about 4 years and have debated with some locals as to how the highways in Dallas are named and what they are called. When I moved here I thought that the Dallas Parkway and the Dallas North Tollway were 2 different roads / roadways. The Parkway being the north and south roads with stop lights that run parallel to the actual Tollway on either side of it and the Tollway is the Tollway. Same with 75 and the Central Expressway. I have thought of the roads running parallel as the Central Expressway and the 3-4 main lanes being I-75. The third example is the LBJ vs. 635. Lanes parallel are the LBJ Freeway and 635 is the main 4 lanes. To argue that the roads are one in the same seems confusing since there are the lanes outside the actual larger and faster main lanes.

Also,when they built the Dallas North Tollway,why didn't they just call it the Dallas Tollway. I don't get the "North" part added onto the name which is how it is labelled officially on the road signs also. It runs north and south obviously.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM

12,506 posts, read 24,993,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I have lived in the Dallas area for about 4 years and have debated with some locals as to how the highways in Dallas are named and what they are called. When I moved here I thought that the Dallas Parkway and the Dallas North Tollway were 2 different roads / roadways. The Parkway being the north and south roads with stop lights that run parallel to the actual Tollway on either side of it and the Tollway is the Tollway. Same with 75 and the Central Expressway. I have thought of the roads running parallel as the Central Expressway and the 3-4 main lanes being I-75. The third example is the LBJ vs. 635. Lanes parallel are the LBJ Freeway and 635 is the main 4 lanes. To argue that the roads are one in the same seems confusing since there are the lanes outside the actual larger and faster main lanes.

Also,when they built the Dallas North Tollway,why didn't they just call it the Dallas Tollway. I don't get the "North" part added onto the name which is how it is labelled officially on the road signs also. It runs north and south obviously.
I think the reason being for that is because at one point they intended on making I-30 between Dallas & Fort Worth an East to West toll road as to not confuse the two & the name just stuck. Now they have the George Bush Turnpike which forms an outter tolled semi loop. If TXDOT had it their way they would make every freeway in Texas a tollroad & the most angering thing about that is it is slowly, but surely coming to that.

The North Central Expressway gets even more confusing as it is neither directly north nor centrally located. It goes northeast & is not centrally coresponding to anything in the city or metro at all.

IMO the people who designed & designated those roadways in D/FW weren't all there mentally as the roadways & names are VERY confusing to newcomers, even to people like me who have been driving in the area for over 13 years.

As to whether more people know it as the Dallas North Tollway or Dallas Parkway, more people definitely refer to it as the Dallas North Tollway.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-19-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 14,826,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I think the reason being for that is because at one point they intended on making I-30 between Dallas & Fort Worth an East to West toll road as to not confuse the two & the name just stuck. Now they have the George Bush Turnpike which forms an outter tolled semi loop. If TXDOT had it their way they would make every freeway in Texas a tollroad & the most angering thing about that is it is slowly, but surely coming to that.

The North Central Expressway gets even more confusing as it is neither directly north nor centrally located. It goes northeast & is not centrally coresponding to anything in the city or metro at all.

IMO the people who designed & designated those roadways in D/FW weren't all there mentally as the roadways & names are VERY confusing to newcomers, even to people like me who have been driving in the area for over 13 years.

As to whether more people know it as the Dallas North Tollway or Dallas Parkway, more people definitely refer to it as the Dallas North Tollway.
I think it's just because of the way the cities were built here. It's not that confusing. If people would just read the signs then there wouldn't be as many problems. But you're right about 75 not being centrally located. The DNT is much more centrally located. If it wasn't tolled, it would probably be more traveled, too. Overall when looking at a map, the plan makes sense. When driving, it can be confusing, but people should read the signs. The thing I like about DFW's layout is that there are many freeway routes to get to one spot. From my place to Downtown Dallas, I can either take 820 to 30, I-20 to 67/I-35, or I-20 to Spur 408 to I-30 (my favorite route).

Old 05-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I think it's just because of the way the cities were built here. It's not that confusing. If people would just read the signs then there wouldn't be as many problems. But you're right about 75 not being centrally located. The DNT is much more centrally located. If it wasn't tolled, it would probably be more traveled, too. Overall when looking at a map, the plan makes sense. When driving, it can be confusing, but people should read the signs. The thing I like about DFW's layout is that there are many freeway routes to get to one spot. From my place to Downtown Dallas, I can either take 820 to 30, I-20 to 67/I-35, or I-20 to Spur 408 to I-30 (my favorite route).
Yeah on this route you get excited for a couple of miles thinking you're in the Texas Hill Country then BAM you hit I-30 & realize you're actually in the middle of a very large, seemingly endless, mostly flat, & open prairie as far as the eye can see.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:34 PM

2,170 posts, read 4,766,052 times
In terms of Dallas North Tollway vs. Parkway, it is confusing but I use it like this: The Parkway seems to refer to the frontage road of the Tollway and that frontage road is not tolled.

For example, the address of the Cinemark West Plano theater is 3800 Dallas Parkway in Plano. It is possible to drive on Hampton Rd. in Oak Cliff which turns into Inwood Rd. in Dallas and then get on the Dallas Parkway and get to the theater in Plano without ever paying a toll. It would take forever but it's possible.

I use the term Dallas North Tollway if I'm referring to the actual freeway itself where a toll is required.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Dallas North Tollway is what they use to describe it between the hours of 9am-3pm Mon-Fri.

Dallas Parkway is what they use to descibe it between the hours of 6-9am & 3pm-6pm & on Sundays.

Haha not really

Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,355,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
http://www.aaroads.com/shields/img/TX/TX19530774i1.jpg

Actually, I-30 already was a toll road for years when it was the Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike. One of those rare victories where they eventually take the tolls down. I wonder if we'll ever see that day on DNT or all these new tollways they're building.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM

7,758 posts, read 9,813,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
http://www.aaroads.com/shields/img/TX/TX19530774i1.jpg

Actually, I-30 already was a toll road for years when it was the Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike. One of those rare victories where they eventually take the tolls down. I wonder if we'll ever see that day on DNT or all these new tollways they're building.
I doubt we will see this happen. The reason private companies were brought in to build/operate the tollroads is the state of tx and federal gov dont have the capital to use. The only way you could convert tollroads to non tollroads is to buy them back or buy out of the agreement with the toll road company. We dont have capital to do this. The popular disrespecting capital rants (I am not referring to you or CD at all) I read tells me we dont have a clue how to the world works.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,401,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post

You are correct on the first part; Dallas North Tollway for the toll road and Dallas Parkway for the frontage roads.
However, US75 = Central Expressway (I-75 runs from Kentucky thru Michigan). I-635=LBJ Freeway. The frontage roads with traffic lights are just that, frontage roads for the named, numbered freeways.
Dallas North Tollway because it runs north from downtown, as opposed to the I-35 tollroad that ran west to Ft. Worth in the old days.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM

8,721 posts, read 12,857,804 times
Good stuff DitsyD ^^^
Adding:
North Dallas Toll Way is unique in its naming. The tollway did not extend north of LBJ (635). However the road that extended from LBJ to parts north was Dallas Parkway. When the city extended the NDTW beyond LBJ, the designation of Dallas Parkway was relegated to the access road. I worked at Trinity Mills and Dallas Parkway when the tollway was under construction. That was a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas