Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times

Advertisements

Help me out fellas...

Moving the first week of July... getting some cold feet.

My wife and I are moving down there, the main reason is for financial purposes but we will be away from our families (though my brother is in Keller). I recall giving her the final say approx 1 year ago - I asked her, you want to stay in Chicagoland or move to Dallas area?

She said let's move.

Now that the move out date is coming closer - it definitely is bittersweet. I'm excited but also sad. I'm leaving a lot of good stuff behind, a lot of friends, a lot of familiarity in exchange for a better paying job and a lot of unfamiliarity.

I had a job offer here and I declined it for 2 jobs in Dallas... sometimes I sit here and I wonder if I made the right choice. Then again, if I did the opposite, I'd wonder the same thing also.

I assume this is normal... it's definitely scary and a very odd feeling in my stomach.

Thanks for listening fellas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 PM

109 posts, read 160,933 times
This is absolutely normal behavior but as they say too much analysis leads to paralysis. This life is very unpredictable and fragile so no matter what you do there are tons of things that can go wrong. There is only one certain thing in life and that is death. So relax, no need to take life too seriously. Just set the tone of enthusiasm for rest of the family. It's apparently a good opportunity so why not try your luck. These experiences give every one a new perspective on life and train to face hurdles of life. Fresh starts are good ...you can be the better &interesting person you always wanted to be. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:20 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Help me out fellas...

My wife and I are moving down there, the main reason is for financial purposes but we will be away from our families (though my brother is in Keller). I recall giving her the final say approx 1 year ago - I asked her, you want to stay in Chicagoland or move to Dallas area?

She said let's move.

Now that the move out date is coming closer - it definitely is bittersweet. I'm excited but also sad. I'm leaving a lot of good stuff behind, a lot of friends, a lot of familiarity in exchange for a better paying job and a lot of unfamiliarity.

I had a job offer here and I declined it for 2 jobs in Dallas... sometimes I sit here and I wonder if I made the right choice. Then again, if I did the opposite, I'd wonder the same thing also.

I assume this is normal... it's definitely scary and a very odd feeling in my stomach.

FWIW, I'm sitting in my house in Chi as I type this, we just might have a final deal in place for it, and....there's a part of me that still thinks "ya know, I could call up Company X about that possible position here..."

My daughter, of all people (who STILL prefers Chicago to Dallas and promises to give the house "A big hug" before we leave it) put it best - "I miss Chicago, but if I hadn't come to Dallas I wouldn't have met [friend], [friend], [teacher she really likes]" etc.

It'll be different, and there will be parts of it you hate no matter what. But it sounds like you're looking forward to Dallas for non-financial reasons as well.

Dunno what else to tell you other than this - I look back on my life, and there are plenty of decisions that were questionable at the time and certainly things that I could have done "better". But if I had, maybe I don't meet my lovely wife and we don't have our kid, and right now, things have kinda worked out all right even outside of that.

Nothing is perfect, and nobody's omniscient. You just play the cards you're dealt as best you can based on the info you have. You're trying to make the best decision you can - if you WEREN'T nervous or second-guessing, I'd be worried about you. But from all indications and your postings, you're ready. Life will throw enough at you that you'll have to be ready to adjust anyway next hand.

Do it and see how the cards turn out.

Plan ahead. Live now.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,147 times
I totally agree and understand. I was in a similar situation years ago.
All I can say today is: I have no regrets.

Thank You.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Life is an adventure, requiring daily decisions along the way. Whether or not a mistake, we learn from those decisions.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I moved to DFW for a change of pace and a bump in pay. Met some great folks there, advanced my career to a comfortable level, and learned about a new part of the country.

It was definitely a struggle being isolated from family, and being away from them (along with the ridiculously hot summers) played into our decision to move back to Colorado. I don't regret our move to Texas because I wouldn't be where I am without it.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,576 times
I know what you are going thru. Back in 2001 i left my home for 19 yrs my hometown I grew up in and lived for 41 yrs. 3 jobs and a ton of friends and many family members. [Tho 2 sisters a niece and her hubby and 2 kids moved with us]. to South Carolina [I had visited places but lived those years in myn little home town.] I was upset and homesick even before we left the state. Been homesick for almost 12 years. Someday [maybe] I'll be going back [saving up when I can.] I miss the hills of Maine the smell of the salt air by the ocean AND I have a greatniece and great nephew i have never met

Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Kind of ironic to characterize feelings about moving to TX in July as "having cold feet." July is just about the worst time to move to Texas. I have lived here since the early 80's and have a love/hate relatiionship with this area. But there are so many positives to making a change, I think you need to get right on that train. You've bought the ticket. Take the ride.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Help me out fellas...

She said let's move.

We (wife and I) were in the same boat 3.5 yrs ago. Although we didn't move as far, we moved away from a dream home we had built just for us. Family and a city in which we both had spent over 20 years in, and where our kids were born. And although it was just 4 hours "up the road", we had the same fears, worries and thoughts.

Now, 3.5 years later we just turned down a job offer (admittedly not that great) that would have taken us back "home" as the family says. We've come to love the N. Texas area, and the area we chose to live in. We've made some new great friends, and have some great new opportunities that wouldn't have presented themselves otherwise.

It was a scary and fearful thought packing up and trying to put on a brave face for the kids, but now the kids love it, and are flourishing.

Now, there have been times where we've gotten frustrated and wondered if we made the right choice, but overall I would say it's been a 95% positive experience and as I said. We have "chosen" to stay here in N. Texas vs. returning to our comfort zone and familiarity.

So, come on down and make yourself comfortable, ya hear! We don't bite...much. Enjoy yourself, open up your favorite beverage and settle in.

And welcome.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Have faith in your initial intuition and look forward.

Better a "This happened" rather than a "What if?", in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas