Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,352 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am from the midwest(born and raised, from very south chicago burbs) and I have been reading anything and everything I can about the Dallas area. We are so excited to be moving to a different enviroment. Me, hubby, and 3 children will be moving there in May 2008. I know there are alot of transplants from California and other states, but can anyone relate to me first hand on anyone that has moved there from the midwest? Am I in for a big culture shock? Please dont get me wrong we are a family who does not discriminate (we are a diverse ethnic couple) and have many friends from many backgrounds (socially). Thank you in advance ,any help or comments will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
Go for the adventure. Accept what you find and give it value. You'll be as welcome here as anyone who may be here already, including the 'natives'.

Enjoy. Welcome home

Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
I moved here in 2000 from Michigan. You won't have any issues. Dallas is a pretty cool place to live. Have you narrowed your search yet?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,352 times
Well, hubby has family in Fort Worth and South Dallas , but we will visit in November to get a feel for the different areas. Just a thought, but Arlington just seems like youve got the best of both worlds--close proximity to either town.....

Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,974 times
I think most people here would disagree that Arlington has the best of both worlds. Well at least I would.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
I think most people here would disagree that Arlington has the best of both worlds. Well at least I would.
Oooh, I would disagree, too. Sorry!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursegirl View Post
Hello, I am from the midwest(born and raised, from very south chicago burbs) and I have been reading anything and everything I can about the Dallas area. We are so excited to be moving to a different enviroment. Me, hubby, and 3 children will be moving there in May 2008. I know there are alot of transplants from California and other states, but can anyone relate to me first hand on anyone that has moved there from the midwest? Am I in for a big culture shock? Please dont get me wrong we are a family who does not discriminate (we are a diverse ethnic couple) and have many friends from many backgrounds (socially). Thank you in advance ,any help or comments will be appreciated.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you'll do fine if you are friendly and pleasant and don't make fun of or complain about the way things are done here. I'm only saying that because I've known a few midwesterners here and quite a number of them have been irritating and seemingly unappreciative of the opportunities that they came here for. A little abrupt, not always polite and like to take a jab at Texans now and then. I'm trying not to generalize and I'm sure not everyone from the midwest is like this but this has been my experience. Maybe I just met the wrong midwesterners.

On the other hand, I do know a couple of them who love Texas and have even started saying "y'all"!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:43 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
On the other hand, I do know a couple of them who love Texas and have even started saying "y'all"!

"Y'all, in the midwest, is normal speech...at least where I came from (Chicago & Indiana). We always said "y'all". I still say it, today.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
"Y'all, in the midwest, is normal speech...at least where I came from (Chicago & Indiana). We always said "y'all". I still say it, today.
I know quite a few midwesterners and only 2 or 3 say it and according to them it's because they've lived here awhile. Chicago from the influence of blacks perhaps? I know that the southern portions of Indiana, Illinois and Ohio are southern-influenced because they border the South and they tend to have somewhat of a Southern sounding accent. I've known 4 or 5 guys from Indiana, 2 or 3 guys and a couple of ladies from Illinois and that's just off the top of my head and none of them say y'all except a couple of them who want to blend in. It's not normal midwestern speech except maybe in pockets where it might be common including where you grew up.

But, interesting note, I have read an article where the use of that word is spreading a little bit in some places. Oh, also, my mother-in-law is originally from southern Indiana and when I went to her hometown a few years ago I was amazed at how southern they sounded but also northern. They had marks of both speech patterns but they didn't say y'all, they said youns or yins, which I understand is common in Appalachia and where some of the original settlers came from.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:31 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
I know many people who have lived in Arlington for many years and have been quite happy there. It isn't for me as no large city is, but you will find "too crowded", crime, weird people, and the like in any big city.

May you and yours find that special place in Texas where you will truly be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas