Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times

Advertisements

Some advice since I know it can be very challenging getting traction from another state:

Establish/Leverage Contacts where ever possible: Most companies formal resume submission process that are one of those enormous online a s s -kicking job application systems, will be a waste of time and energy to go through for you from the Northeast. More likely than not, all of that to see it fall into a black hole. Trust me on that one.

Google voice numbers fool no one these days, in fact it's going to immediately raise the question of where you are located. Be prepared to answer the where you are located and why you want to move.

Work with local recruiters where ever possible, a necessary evil.

If possible, get a local address on your resume (an option I have and yet to leverage). Say you're either living there, or this is will you will stay while in transition.

Lastly, when stating anything in writing (e.g. cover letter, online apps etc), where you are often forced to reveal your location/phone. You want to make sure and say something like, "I am in the process of relocating to DFW, and will be there in the next couple of weeks visiting" etc etc..Something like that helps completely eliminate the whole question of when you can get there to interview, and your willingness to get there. It's already in motion..

Again, I can't stress enough how knowing someone (anyone) can help you with a long distance job search. Questioning someone you know located in the area, even if they aren't in your industry can spider-web out in opportunities you wouldn't have even thought of. And with all that, it will still be extremely difficult to land something if your not a highly sought after level in a company.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 AM

425 posts, read 995,779 times
Not sure about google voice, and how people can detect that it's a google voice number, but another suggestion for getting a local number is to buy a pre-paid phone - Net10, for example, allows you to chose an area code that would be convenient for you, so you should have the option to pick a Dallas area number...

Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
Not sure about google voice, and how people can detect that it's a google voice number, but another suggestion for getting a local number is to buy a pre-paid phone - Net10, for example, allows you to chose an area code that would be convenient for you, so you should have the option to pick a Dallas area number...
easy, there is a delay in rings, and if voicemail isn't properly set up. etc etc...EDS is right it's easy to notice and make assumptions about. Better to just be up front is my take.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM

383 posts, read 733,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan

All the same probably best to be straight about where you actually live. A lot of interviewing is pure intuition and if you misrepresent yourself, well...look what happened to the ex-CEO of Yahoo.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,581 times
Thanks for all the great advice. I am willing to cover my own relocation expenses if I am offered a position. However, I will not be able to cover my own expenses for an interview since we are saving for relocation. I don't want to plan to have relocation covered.

I would rather be upfront about where I live and such while stating that I plan to relocate, etc. I got a lot of call backs/interviews when I applied for marketing jobs here in the northeast, and so I am hoping I would at least get a few call backs for all the jobs I apply for. I am not so much worried about my wife. I'm confident she can find something right away.

I guess the only thing to do is try...

Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 PM

19,796 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post

The the ringing is often just wrong.

Latency - especially when one person is talking on a cell if both callers are on cells the latency leaps from noticeable straight to annoying.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM

77 posts, read 131,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Give it a shot.

Generally speaking, it is pretty difficult if you are not on the ground. Employers, regardless of whether you are talking full time or contract, want to see a local address because a) it means you've got something invested in staying for more than 5 minutes b) you're ready for face to face interviews c) you can hit the ground running if selected.

You *can* move places on spec, but as you lack the funds that is a terrible idea. Moving on spec, I'd budget 9+ mos of FULL living expenses and be very sure of your particular market. And pray.
This is very good advice. I am planning my move to Dallas around next spring, because while my company will likely be able to transfer me to a location there, I'm not going to assume anything, or take anything for granted, so by next spring, I will have saved up enough to put down a full year's worth of rent up-front, on arrival, so that I'll have a roof over my head no matter what, and will have a full year to secure work, if need be.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 PM

231 posts, read 814,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhernette View Post
I live in the northeast, and my wife and I are considering a move to Dallas. My wife and I have visited Dallas many times, and we both basically fell in love with the area.

We do not have the means of making the move before securing employment. And so at least one of us would need to get a job before making the move. I work in marketing and my wife is a nurse. How difficult is it to find a job before moving?
I sat down with an actual hiring manager recently and he told me how he selects candidates. For one position, he got approximately 200 applicants. He has so many applicants that sometimes he will skip a resume based on the title of their current position. He will also skip resumes if the candidate lives outside the area/state. His reasoning is that he just isnt sure if they will move if hired.

I work in a very small niche field so it may be different but that is just some insight.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:37 AM

35 posts, read 73,332 times
It is possible to get a job while living out of state since I just did that. I'm moving from WI to TX. I found a job with the WorkIn Texas website after searching in TX for a month. I didn't get a Google voice number as some have suggested. However, I knew that I would have to pay for my flight/hotel to interview and pay for relocating expenses. I put in my cover letter that I'm able to relocate to TX at my own expense, and I added the time length I could do so. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: