Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM

350 posts, read 745,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by styron View Post
The Plano I know is not bleached blonde in capri pants. The Plano I know is very, very Asian, and drives a minivan.
So funny since it's so true... and this is from someone who is in the infamous Plano West parking lot quite often. Speaking of which, I think the whole car stereotype is quite overblown. It was probably true five or so years ago, but I think it's been toned down a bit since the recession. From what I have seen, most of the cars are Toyotas/Hondas/Fords.

Of course, I still hate that parking lot, but not because of fancy cars. The drivers there make it one of the scariest places I have ever been .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 PM

44 posts, read 103,548 times
Every time I drive in Plano, I'm taking my life into my hands because of all the 16 yr old kids on the road.

Of course, every time I drive in Dallas, I'm taking my life into my hands because of all the 86 yr olds on the road, and also all the cars out of inspection and uninsured.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM

933 posts, read 1,524,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Only people who live in Plano think there are any similarities at all between Plano and HP. ;-)
They're both cities in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
Um have you ever heard any Parkies talking about Plano?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,699,336 times
I think I may have been to Plano, 10 times? I'm not sure, but I know it hasn't been that much....and it's probably been at least 2 years, since one of those 10 visits. So, I guess what i'm trying to say is, is that, I don't really know what I miss about Plano. Besides, missing the point of what my post is even for on this subject.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,317,506 times
I read the positive and negative stereotypes and cant relate. I am new to West Plano and actually like most everything about it. I must not paying attention to what my neighbors allegedly look like and wear. I dont have kids so could care less about PTA politics. The things I like in life are here and convenient. I dont let what my neighbors think or dont think impact my life. No need to advertise whats on my mind on the bumper of my car and could care less what my neighbors put on their bumpers. Live and let live and know your self and life is simplier or perhaps be an engineer oblivious to such things mentioned by many

Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Only people who live in Plano think there are any similarities at all between Plano and HP. ;-)
They do? I've never met any.

The Plano I live in isn't that similar to what the op described. Granted I don't spend much time in West Plano. The Plano I know is super ethnically diverse and not pretentious. However there is no doubt parts of Plano that are neither.

Plano isn't a city that can be stereotyped any more.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 PM

56 posts, read 76,322 times
Most people think of multi million Willow Bend Country mensions and other pricey 75093 neighborhoods when they think of Plano but that's just westside. Rest of the Plano is mostly middle & upper middle class with a dash of disadvantaged people and rich ranch/ estate owners. I think all in all people here are very diverse and it's a good mix. Not nearly as religious and conservative as people paint it to be. Shorty shorts have taken over the place of Capri and Ombré highlights are the new beach blond. Minivans are welcome and Asians aren't considered tourist any more.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 PM

770 posts, read 1,787,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Back in April I started a thread called What I miss about Plano: What you miss most after moving from Plano

After talking with another Plano transplant the other day, I will discuss what I don't miss about Plano.

1. The parents' competitive view about education and constant fear mongering about getting into UT or any other decent college. Their complaints about how hard it is to graduate from Plano West in the top 10%.

2. People's completely over-the-top fear of allowing children outside to play or to walk two blocks to school in a perfectly safe neighborhood. The chances of being kidnapped are almost nil, but getting in a car accident is a real possiblity--yet these same people drive their kids around all day.

3. The PTA acting as a surrogate sorority.

4. Perfectly coiffed, bleached blond hair and capri pants.

5. Strip mall after strip mall.

6. Outdoor cafes with a lovely view of a parking lot.

7. The parking lot at Plano West filled with extremely high end cars bought by overindulgent parents.

8. My vote never counting since I'm not a Republican.

9. Seeing crazy, right-wing bumper stickers everywhere.

10. People asking me which church I attend...

As you can see, I'm not just a "Negative Nellie". I started a thread about what I miss, and I do sincerely miss many things about Plano. These are the things that I'm glad to have left behind.

I wouldn't miss any of those things either.

I also wouldn't miss the insane traffic or all of the idiots that drive on the city streets like they are still on the freeway. Driving in Plano is not a fun experience in the slightest (of course neither is driving in any of the northern suburbs or the areas around DFW airport). I would rather drive on the streets of west LA during rush hour than drive on the streets of Plano during the day.

The whole spoiled rich kid syndrome and stuck up wealthy conservative thing in Plano doesn't actually bother me so much, since I saw a lot worse of that in Southern California (especially OC).

Anyway, if I moved to Albuquerque from Plano like you did, I wouldn't miss ANYTHING about Plano. Albuquerque, like the rest of New Mexico, is a beautiful area. I always enjoyed visits to that area.

There are some good things about Plano, but IMHO, Plano is just another typical Dallas suburb. Give me Denton or Frisco over it anyday.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM

56 posts, read 76,322 times
I understand scenic west coast towns but Frisco & Denton??? Whateve!!! As much as I like west coast, nice suburbs with good schools and short commute to downtown are at least two or three times more expensive than Plano. I don't want to pay mortgage all my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas