Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,395 times

Advertisements

Recently, I was looking up the city statistics from city data on Collin county vs Dallas county. Interestingly, I noticed that supposedly median housing prices in Dallas county is only 130K, while Collin county housing average is at $205K. Kinda of suprising since Collin county looked have better housing deals, which why I ended up buying house up north in Collin County.

Honestly, what really wander where are all these supposedly cheap houses in Dallas county? When I think of Dallas county houses, all that comes to find are those super expensive neighborhood/cities like Highland park, Prestonwood, Lakewood, etc. Of course, you can't forget wealthy uptown or downtown Dallas areas either.

I know there some cheap houses near Fair Park, far south Dallas, and yes most of Garland. Maybe, a lot of low prices are in a bad area of Dallas County?

Never, thought of Dallas country as cheap housing area, well at least not in a good area. If Dallas county, really does have such good house deals (130K vs 205K, or 37% less than Collin county), where can you find these houses at?

FYI, here is city-data links if anyone wants them.

//www.city-data.com/county/Collin_County-TX.html
//www.city-data.com/county/Dallas_County-TX.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
I suspect Collin has newer housing stock on avg than Dallas County. Also Dallas may have more lower income/housing cost areas than Collin. If you compare higher priced homes in good school districts and nice neighborhoods in Dallas Ctn and Collin Cty the price per sf is probably less in Collin if you adjust for age of property. I am guessing so lets have the real estate experts tell us both

Old 05-29-2012, 07:59 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
There are lots of cheap homes in bad areas of Dallas County: Fair Park, pleasant grove, Buckner terrace, Balch Springs, Rylie, Seagoville, west Mesquite, parts of Garland, etc...

Remember: median is the midpoint price, not the average price. (That's "mean")

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Honestly, what really wander where are all these supposedly cheap houses in Dallas county? When I think of Dallas county houses, all that comes to find are those super expensive neighborhood/cities like Highland park, Prestonwood, Lakewood, etc. Of course, you can't forget wealthy uptown or downtown Dallas areas either.

I know there some cheap houses near Fair Park, far south Dallas, and yes most of Garland. Maybe, a lot of low prices are in a bad area of Dallas County?

]
This is really not a surprise. Dallas is very much a city filled with "haves" and "have nots". Per your link, the median household income in 2009 was $45k in Dallas County. An income that size would yield a home purchase of $90-125k. Since median is truly the "mid-point", half the households in Dallas County would have a home buying budget under $125k.

There are tons of neighborhood where homes are under $125k - much of South Dallas aside from the pricier neighborhoods in North Oak Cliff. Much of west Dallas and far east Dallas (stretching from about a half mile east of White Rock east to Mesquite). Many neighborhoods in Mesquite, Garland, Cedar Hill, Lancaster and other middle class/ more blue collar Dallas Co suburbs also fit the bill. These suburbs don't have 5000SF McMansions, hot soccer moms driving carpool, and access to Whole Foods....so we rarely discuss them on the forum even though thousands of people call these low-key suburbs home and raise their families there.

But the real answer is this->
You missed the section explaining the breakdown in home prices by home category on the page you linked:
Single family homes- $209k mean (2009) price vs $217k in Collin County
Town homes - $201k vs $65k in Collin County
Duplexes- $170k
3-4 unit structures- $170k
5+ unit structures- $191k
Mobile homes- $31k
Occupied boats/ RVs/ etc - $43k

It really just looks like there are a large number of people living in mobile homes and RV's in Dallas County since SFH & TH's are both over the $200k value mark. This is also not surprising given that 19% of the county is living under the poverty level.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This is really not a surprise. Dallas is very much a city filled with "haves" and "have nots". Per your link, the median household income in 2009 was $45k in Dallas County. An income that size would yield a home purchase of $90-125k. Since median is truly the "mid-point", half the households in Dallas County would have a home buying budget under $125k.

There are tons of neighborhood where homes are under $125k - much of South Dallas aside from the pricier neighborhoods in North Oak Cliff. Much of west Dallas and far east Dallas (stretching from about a half mile east of White Rock east to Mesquite). Many neighborhoods in Mesquite, Garland, Cedar Hill, Lancaster and other middle class/ more blue collar Dallas Co suburbs also fit the bill. These suburbs don't have 5000SF McMansions, hot soccer moms driving carpool, and access to Whole Foods....so we rarely discuss them on the forum even though thousands of people call these low-key suburbs home and raise their families there.

But the real answer is this->
You missed the section explaining the breakdown in home prices by home category on the page you linked:
Single family homes- $209k mean (2009) price vs $217k in Collin County
Town homes - $201k vs $65k in Collin County
Duplexes- $170k
3-4 unit structures- $170k
5+ unit structures- $191k
Mobile homes- $31k
Occupied boats/ RVs/ etc - $43k

It really just looks like there are a large number of people living in mobile homes and RV's in Dallas County since SFH & TH's are both over the $200k value mark. This is also not surprising given that 19% of the county is living under the poverty level.
Wow, I never considered that before since I haven't heard of large mobile homes/RV parks in Dallas county. Anyone where they are located at?

As mentioned, interestingly when I think of Dallas County, I usually think of downtown Dallas area/North Dallas County. Usually forget there huge area of Dallas countries that are different.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Wow, I never considered that before since I haven't heard of large mobile homes/RV parks in Dallas county. Anyone where they are located at?

As mentioned, interestingly when I think of Dallas County, I usually think of downtown Dallas area/North Dallas County. Usually forget there huge area of Dallas countries that are different.
If it's still there, there is one on Ft Worth Ave just west of downtown- basically between Lew Sterett & the Belmont hotel. I don't know of others specifically, but I'm sure there are quite a few!

There is also a large one off 75 in Plano, FYI.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
Quote:
112 Mobile Home Communities in the Dallas area located in:
Balch Springs
Carrollton
Cedar Hill
Coppell
Dallas
Desoto
Garland
Grand Prarie
Hutchins
Irving
Lancaster
Mesquite
Rowlett
Seagoville
Wilmer

18 Moble Home Communities in the Collin Area located in:
Anna
Blue Ridge
McKinney
MeLissa
Parker
Plano
Pottsboro
Princeton
Vidor
Wylie

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-30-2012 at 05:09 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,110 times
Quote:

There's one off Lawnview between Samuel and Forney Rd.
Another off Clarendon near I-35.
And the one TC80 mentions is across from the popular newly opened Chicken Scratch and Foundry Bar.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:44 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
SE Dallas County is full of trailer parks. Seagoville, Balch Springs and Rylie have lots of trailer parks and small homes, and Kleberg Road area is all Trailer parks... But like I said, those aren't usually the areas where we talk about on this board.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,521 times
It has nothing whatsoever to do with "better house deals". It has to do with a higher percentage of cheaper homes in Dallas Co..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas