U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,879 times

Advertisements

Hi,
When we lived in Alabama, I know keeping a termite bond(?) on the house was very important. I don't know about here. We had a termite problem almost 10 years ago. Since then, we have had a company bait the perimeter of the house. It is time to renew and I guess I was just wondering if paying $285 a year for them to come check the bait stations quarterly was appropriate. Thank you for any input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 PM

383 posts, read 691,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimoto View Post
Hi,
When we lived in Alabama, I know keeping a termite bond(?) on the house was very important. I don't know about here. We had a termite problem almost 10 years ago. Since then, we have had a company bait the perimeter of the house. It is time to renew and I guess I was just wondering if paying $285 a year for them to come check the bait stations quarterly was appropriate. Thank you for any input!
In my opinion, yes. Apparently some areas are worse than others but termites are most certainly a problem throughout the South with timber framed homes.

It's a risk you take whether or not to treat your home. I've met people who've been fine and others who sustained surprisingly extensive and expensive damage.

There's no right answer just as with foundations - good friends of mine have never had a single foundation issue in 35 years. Pretty much everyone else I know (including me) has had to have a touch up every now and then even using soaker hoses and sprinkler systems religiously.

Go figure.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM

6,256 posts, read 15,731,282 times
I'd say it depends on the house. If you have a house with an entirely brick exterior, no paneling whatsoever, then you are probably ok to skip the termite protection. Reason being is that the exterior walls will have a vapor barrier under the drywall, along with insulation. That makes it difficult for termites to enter and spread through the walls.

However, you may decide to do it every other year or something to have some peace of mind. I certainly wouldn't pay to do it every year.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I'd say it depends on the house. If you have a house with an entirely brick exterior, no paneling whatsoever, then you are probably ok to skip the termite protection. Reason being is that the exterior walls will have a vapor barrier under the drywall, along with insulation. That makes it difficult for termites to enter and spread through the walls.

However, you may decide to do it every other year or something to have some peace of mind. I certainly wouldn't pay to do it every year.
Maybe not.

Direct quote follows from an Architect I know who has been building houses in the south for 40 years and is not affiliated with pest control companies.

Quote:
Google termites. They are nasty ****ers. They come up from beneath the house. They look for food and what they like to eat is what your house is made from. The exterior finish means nothing.They will start on the floor joists, move into the walls and then right up into the attic.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 AM

931 posts, read 2,021,316 times
If you live in a neighborhood that has wood burning fireplaces you probably should do something about termites. A tell tale sign is wood fences that has large passes that look like discoloration may be termites.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 AM

6,256 posts, read 15,731,282 times
Double-G, but that would only apply to older homes. New homes have a concrete slab foundation, not wooden floor joists.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM

94 posts, read 268,054 times
If you cancel your termite treatment, you can be proactive by keeping termite attractants to a minimum. Keep a 4-6 inch gap of exposed foundation between the siding and the soil, don't keep firewood or scrap wood stored against or near the house, keep the areas of soil around the foundation drained and dry, trim landscaping away from the exterior walls, if you have a wooden deck or wood siding make sure it's not in contact with the soil or located in continually damp areas.

But then again, sometimes you just can't do anything about them. They will move up concrete, metal or any other material to get inside a house if they want to. It would be much cheaper to have a pest inspector come out and do a wood-destroying insect (WDI) inspection every year to let you know if they see current activity or not.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,563,254 times
Buy some Termidor, a pump sprayer and apply yourself call it a day. You won't see termites or ants ever again after three annual applications. You can buy it Texas without a license, here in MA you can't.

I still managed to get my grubby little hands on some 4 years ago for a Carpenter Ant problem. Termidor solved the problem that NO other pest control could. It made for Termites first, but effective for other pests and it's not caustic, same ingredient (Fiprinol) as Fronline you put on doggies. It's also not a repellant which is why it works so darn well. Wipes out the Queen.

Every time I see an Ant on my property (which is rare these days) I chuckle a little under my breath because I know his time here is short. Save the $$, spend $60 on a bottle of Termidor (which will last years) learn how to apply (youtube etc). You will be glad you did.

Last edited by skids929; 05-31-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Double-G, but that would only apply to older homes. New homes have a concrete slab foundation, not wooden floor joists.
If your house is very new, perhaps. But cracks do typically appear in slabs given the highly expansive clay in North Texas.

However, a new home on a new slab is low risk. Your cladding and foundation are certainly not a guarantee, but if you maintain awareness of potential entrance points inside and out you'll probably catch anything before it becomes serious.

If you find a builder offering termite free builds with zero inspections required, please share with the group.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 PM

98 posts, read 411,282 times
OK, feel free to call me a crazy tree-hugging environmentalist, but I am SOOOO not into pesticides. There are less toxic ways to deal with termites, like d-limonene (orange oil, which isn't TOTALLY non-toxic, but a better option, I believe) and boric acid based termite/ant treatments. I have a teeny weeny dog who is EXTREMELY sensitive to pesticides & we've had no problems with boric acid & orange oil. I'm currently in California where termites are a given. Don't let anyone scare you into thinking you have to jeopardize your family's health. Termites are very uncool, but highly toxic pesticides are far scarier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas