Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 24,272 times

Advertisements

HI Everyone. I am soon moving to Dallas, and ready to settle into my 'vintage dream home'. I have always lived in houses that date before the 1950s. I love the feel, and love neighborhoods with the old town charm. I have a bit of a challenge with Dallas, as I have been driving around looking at various neighborhoods that fit what I am looking for, at max 230K. I don't mind a fixer-upper. I was wanting peoples opinions of safe neighborhoods with old homes. Some areas I have driven through that I love (and seem in my price range) are the Peninsula neighborhood of Lakewood, and the Stonewall Terrace neighborhood of Lakewood. I also like "Old Lake Highlands". Please speak up and let me know if there are safe, vintage, old neighborhoods that around the 230K mark that you think are worth a look. South Dallas / Oak Cliff will be too far for me, so that is out. Thanks in advance!!
Oh yeah, looking within Dallas city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Peninsula is not really considered Lakewood as it's on the east side of the lake

Your best bet in that price range would be smaller 50s ranch homes near Mockingbird and Abrams over to the lake and Northwest Highway. It would be better if you could come up to $250-$275K Ridegwood Park is a good place to look - it's not in the Lakewood/Long/Woodrow feeder pattern however. University Terrace is, however -- look for the 'college streets' off Trammel. Just search lower price ranges of 75214. Stonewall Terrace is also a good bet (75206). If you like something more historic such as craftsman styles, then look at Junius Heights (75214), it's a gem but you will most likely have to do some work. It's very up and coming right now and truly the last bargain in the area, so I personally think it's a great investment. It's easy to walk to 'downtown' Lakewood (theater etc), Swiss Avenue, Santa Fe Trail and all three schools (Lipscomb, Long and Woodrow - the secondary are schools are going IB, and Lipscomb is condsidering applicaton).

Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Peninsula is not really considered Lakewood as it's on the east side of the lake

Your best bet in that price range would be smaller 50s ranch homes near Mockingbird and Abrams over to the lake and Northwest Highway. It would be better if you could come up to $250-$275K Ridegwood Park is a good place to look - it's not in the Lakewood/Long/Woodrow feeder pattern however. University Terrace is, however -- look for the 'college streets' off Trammel. Just search lower price ranges of 75214. Stonewall Terrace is also a good bet (75206). If you like something more historic such as craftsman styles, then look at Junius Heights (75214), it's a gem but you will most likely have to do some work. It's very up and coming right now and truly the last bargain in the area, so I personally think it's a great investment. It's easy to walk to 'downtown' Lakewood (theater etc), Swiss Avenue, Santa Fe Trail and all three schools (Lipscomb, Long and Woodrow - the secondary are schools are going IB, and Lipscomb is condsidering applicaton).
I generally agree with all of this. Especially the notion about Junius Heights being a good buy for the longer term.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
I love the Peninsula area and Old Lake Highlands. You do not mention schools being important...so not sure if a feeder pattern is necessary.

Also consider Casa Linda - there might be some fixer-uppers.
I live in Casa Linda Forest, my ranch home was built in 60. There's a MCM in the neighborhood built in 54...but it's been on the market for a while (and reduced); not sure if there is something wrong with it.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 24,272 times
great info. Schools are not important in my search. Just safety, and 'old house charm'. So many cool old neighborhoods to research!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Look at Little Forest Hills and Hollywood Heights, both are pre 50's

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM

See:

Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
See:
Lakewooder, you're such a paragon of useful info! I hope our household makes the decision to move to Dallas. This is making me really want to be there.... NOW! I work remotely from home, so I can work anywhere. But alas, it's not my decision to make.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM

I thought you were going to say a 'paragon of virtue'! LOL Thanks...I hope you can move here and we can have some wine on the patio at Times Ten!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I generally agree with all of this. Especially the notion about Junius Heights being a good buy for the longer term.
Agree. Also look into the C Streets and Hollywood Heights neighborhoods on the east side of the Lakewood Country Club. 75223. Lots of 1920-30's Tudor cottages and Spanish style casitas.

You shouldn't have a prob with your budget in any of the neighborhoods mentioned thus far, especially if you are ok with a 2/1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas