Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What TV channel in D/FW do you get your local news/weather?
KDFW - 4 (FOX) 11 19.64%
KXAS - 5 (NBC) 11 19.64%
WFAA - 8 (ABC) 23 41.07%
KTVT - 11 (CBS) 8 14.29%
KTXA - 21 (Ind) 1 1.79%
KDAF - 33 (CW) 0 0%
Other 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,374,853 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Breaking News of car accidents that happen to occur during the news time is a bit silly. It's a traffic report, not breaking news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 09:35 PM

52,574 posts, read 47,699,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Good comments, Case44, about the tickers on the local stations in Houston...wow, I hate that and hope it doesn't come here to every station any time soon, but that's my opinion!! I spent a lot of time in Houston visiting relatives while growing up and I still get down there often so I'm quite familiar with all the stations. I've lived in Miami, Chicago and NYC and I really think the DFW market puts out a good product and I for one am glad some local stations don't run that ticker. I cringe when I'm in Houston and I see KPRC 2..sensationalist news, and their weather dog.. ..is that even still on there??!! I do like KTRK 13 and that's always been consistently good... I also will miss Marvin Zindler. I have no opinion really on KHOU 11 since my relatives there rarely watch it so I don't view it much. KPRC 2 has dropped so much ever since the days of Ron Stone and Big 2 News...they were such a class act years ago...

In the DFW market for weather however, I actually like Kristine Kahanek and will watch KTVT 11 for that reason. I don't like the weatherman (Pete Delkus) on WFAA 8 and will turn it when he comes on. I do like David Finfrock on NBC 5. I also think news-wise, channel 8 puts out a consistently better product than either channels 11 or channel 5. Fox 4 is a great station for local news too so I don't want to forget them. Channel 5 wears me out because they think they need to feature yet another weight loss "secret" as a teaser in almost every 10pm newscast. I also remember when CBS was on channel 4 so it was strange to move back to the area in 2000 and see that it was now on the formerly independent station out of Ft Worth!

I've read that ABC would love to own channel 8 in the DFW market (now that it's officially the # 5 TV market in the US) to go along with all the other owned and operated stations here but Belo would never dare sell it to them.
I didn't suggest I hated the tickers, no, I actually loved them. They add to the newscast. They don't distract at all. Sometimes, they'll cover something an anchor might miss. If viewers don't like them, they don't have to look. I'd like to see all D/FW stations do this -- but just for the morning newscasts. It just gives us a large market feel. As for ABC and 8, well, something's just got to give.

BTW -- Ch. 2 in Houston has toned down the sensationalist act. They got a new news director last year. And Radar the dog is gone. But Frank Billingsley is very good and should get the respect that's due him.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:13 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,270,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
My only problem, and this is just a technicality, but my problem is why do channels 8, 11, and 21 have a thing for keeping the word "Metroplex" out of the newsroom vocabularies?? For the life of me, I don't understand that and it's silly; the Metroplex is, after all, what we are. Sheeeesh.

By the way, Channel 11 begins broadcasting their news in HD on September 25 (Tuesday). Stay tuned, and we'll see how that goes.
You know, I hadn't noticed that? What I did notice was that on 21 the weather guy calls it the "Metro area" instead of the Metroplex. What's up with that?! I don't know why he does that, it bugs me! I'll have to pay attention to the others as far as that goes. I watch 4 in the mornings because they go past 7 a.m. whereas the others quit for the national morning shows. Otherwise, I would watch 5 and 8. Actually, I used to years ago until I got tired of switching at 7:00 so I just left it on channel 4 since.

Sometimes in the early evening I'll watch 21 if I haven't caught the news in the morning or I'll watch 8 at 10:00 p.m.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 AM

791 posts, read 2,215,731 times
Only time I watch a local station is when 'Saturday Nite Live' is live.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,383,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
You know, I hadn't noticed that? What I did notice was that on 21 the weather guy calls it the "Metro area" instead of the Metroplex. What's up with that?! I don't know why he does that, it bugs me! I'll have to pay attention to the others as far as that goes. I watch 4 in the mornings because they go past 7 a.m. whereas the others quit for the national morning shows. Otherwise, I would watch 5 and 8. Actually, I used to years ago until I got tired of switching at 7:00 so I just left it on channel 4 since.

Sometimes in the early evening I'll watch 21 if I haven't caught the news in the morning or I'll watch 8 at 10:00 p.m.
How does that bug you? DFW is a metro area if you didn't know. Sometimes on the Houston weather reports, they say "our Southeast Texas region". Doesn't bother me.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:37 PM

457 posts, read 426,908 times
I usually watch CBS, but ANYTHING is better than the right-wing propaganda of Fox. ANYTHING that George Bush says he does, I do the opposite, and he says his favorite news is on Fox. :-) LOL

Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 PM

Are there any people out there that happen to be in the news business? I'd like to hear about what Dallas channel you watch for the news.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM

By the way, good responses on the poll, guys. Let's keep them coming.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,374,853 times
This is a great website all about Dallas news programming:

The Front Page

Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
This is a great website all about Dallas news programming:

The Front Page
Thanks. It's the way I've been keeping up with what's happening lately. It's a good site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas