Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What TV channel in D/FW do you get your local news/weather?
KDFW - 4 (FOX) 11 19.64%
KXAS - 5 (NBC) 11 19.64%
WFAA - 8 (ABC) 23 41.07%
KTVT - 11 (CBS) 8 14.29%
KTXA - 21 (Ind) 1 1.79%
KDAF - 33 (CW) 0 0%
Other 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Here is some analysis. All the Metroplex stations try real hard to put a good product together. And they do. I tend to think that, because I've lived here all my life, everything seems so plain vanilla identity-wise and product-wise compared to other cities I've seen. I get more excitement watching some of the other markets when I go out of town. We still have personalities that have been here for many years like Mike Snyder, Jane McGarry, David Finfrock on 5, Gloria Campos, Dale Hansen and John McCaa on 8, Tracy Rowlett on 11 (after 25 years on 8), and Clarice Tinsley and Ron Jackson on 4.
Through the years, 8 has ruled the roost in ratings, but 5 has been the leader the last few years, and 11 has threatened during a few sweeps periods. 4 has not been on top since being neck and neck with 8 in the late seventies.

To answer a question by KerrTown on the Houston threads, John McCaa is not going to leave Dallas for KHOU. It appears he's going to stay at 8 for a while longer. I think 5's been reasonably good for years with their fast-paced format, but they've gotten dull since they started their HD broadcasts. I'm not sure if NBC will ever take over KPRC in Houston, but stranger things have happened. I've never been a real big 8 fan, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. The awards speak for themselves. I was loyal to CBS11 for a few years, but after they brought in Kristine Kahanek, I've decided to make a switch. I've been glued to FOX 4 for the last few years; they, to me, are just better locally than everyone else. They just seem more local to me. And, no, 4 will not switch back to CBS and KRLD-TV will never be back again. KRLD radio has a decent product, but its heyday was really back in the 80s. To answer your question even further, KTRH in Houston has a better news product. I've never been a huge fan of BAP or KRLD, but I do listen now and then, particularly if there is severe weather coverage. Back to TV, CBS 11 is good, and they've made a good effort after Tracy Rowlett arrived back in 2000, so they have something going today. Hope that answers everything, KerrTown.
My only problem, and this is just a technicality, but my problem is why do channels 8, 11, and 21 have a thing for keeping the word "Metroplex" out of the newsroom vocabularies?? For the life of me, I don't understand that and it's silly; the Metroplex is, after all, what we are. Sheeeesh.

By the way, Channel 11 begins broadcasting their news in HD on September 25 (Tuesday). Stay tuned, and we'll see how that goes.
Whats wrong with Kristine Kahanek????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Best Looking News/weathermen

Someone should post a poll of WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING NEWS/WEATHERMEN IN THE D/FW MARKET.........

my vote would be a tie between Brad Hawkins (WFAA-8) & Garry Seith (CH 11 & 21).......

YEAH BABY!!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
I agree with your picks! They are both cuties. Garry Seith is probably a little older than he looks. He's got a baby face.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:10 AM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Someone should post a poll of WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING NEWS/WEATHERMEN IN THE D/FW MARKET.........

my vote would be a tie between Brad Hawkins (WFAA-8) & Garry Seith (CH 11 & 21).......

YEAH BABY!!!!
Maybe -- when somebody's got the time. So what one station do you turn to?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:13 AM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
In traffic coverage, I go back and forth with 4 and 5. If Tammy Dombeck is absent, I'll look at 4's coverage. I do peek at the others from time to time since I'm curious, but 4 is the one I frequent, since they're all local all morning.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 68,557 times
I love ch.4 even though it shows the same thing 5,5:30-6,6:30 9-10:30
I also like Good Day.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:03 PM

It all depends on what shows I have watched that evening......but Ch8 and Ch11, morning would have to be Ch4.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:54 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Whats wrong with Kristine Kahanek????
She is so annoying when she breaks in to a show for a severe weather report and just repeats herself over and over and over....

If she is going to break in she should be concise and keep it short and on point and than let the little symbols and warning do their job.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
She is so annoying when she breaks in to a show for a severe weather report and just repeats herself over and over and over....

If she is going to break in she should be concise and keep it short and on point and than let the little symbols and warning do their job.
repeats herself over and over and over??? I think ALL NEWS/WEATHER/SPORTS casters do....
I am kind of bias toward Kristine, I think its a pleasant change to have a female doing
the weather. Plus I met her when she was at KXXV in Waco, shes a very down to earth girl........a rare find here in DFW.
She is alot better than Pete Delkus......at least she doesnt insult her fellow newscasters in front of millions like he does.
And Troy Dungan.....I also have met him......very rude and arrogant, glad hes gone.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I used to see Troy Dungan at The Mansion Bar (during the halcyon days) in his little red Mercedes convertible with the "TD" license plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas