U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM

15 posts, read 46,456 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're currently in Ft. Worth and looking for a good area with easy commute (midway between Ft. Worth & Dallas) with good school district. Our price range is $200-$350K. We are thinking about Grapevine, Colleyville & Southlake...any help would be greatly appreciated. How's the tax rates in these cities? We're looking for the most houses for the bucks and good resale value in the long run with low maintenance cost as well....I want too much....I know :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM

10,537 posts, read 22,423,690 times
With your budget, you have only one option: Grapevine. You can't get much of anything below $400k in Southlake, or below $350 in Colleyville. But that's not a bad thing; Grapevine really is a nice town.

Taxes in Grapevine are the lowest of those 3, and GCISD serves both Grapevine and Colleyville.

If you need more info, just ask. I've lived in Grapevine for 10 years.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 PM

186 posts, read 396,862 times
Grapevine can offer newer house with more square footage. If you can find a house in Southlake or Colleyville within your budget then you'll get better towns and awesome schools. If I were you, I would try to find one that needs updating and fix it once I have extra money. Better for living and better for resale but you are not me so explore the market and see if this makes sense to you.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM

15 posts, read 46,456 times
You guys are right....$400k is the lowest for southlake & colleyville for houses that fitmy criteria...and that's the top of my budget. I really like the houses in southlake...they look nicer and are more modern than houses in grapevine/colleyville. I find it odd that some od the older homes and less attractive looking in grapevine are more expensive than some of the nicer looking homes in southlake?!

If all were equal...is the traffic in grapevine better than southlake? How easy is it to get to major freeways going to dallas & ft worth

Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,076,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam76131 View Post
You guys are right....$400k is the lowest for southlake & colleyville for houses that fitmy criteria...and that's the top of my budget. I really like the houses in southlake...they look nicer and are more modern than houses in grapevine/colleyville. I find it odd that some od the older homes and less attractive looking in grapevine are more expensive than some of the nicer looking homes in southlake?!

If all were equal...is the traffic in grapevine better than southlake? How easy is it to get to major freeways going to dallas & ft worth
right now there's a LOT of construction around there with the DFWConnector project going on: DFW Connector Highway Construction Project by Northgate Constructors It'll be about another 18 months before it's finished, but when it is things will be much better for getting around.

IMHO, it is a little easier to get to downtown Dallas or any of the areas north of Dallas from Grapevine than from Southlake, as it's further east and easier to get around the east end of Grapevine lake to 121. Neither is particularly close to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth, but Grapevine is a little more centrally located.

As others may have noted, most of Grapevine is in the Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District (GCISD), which is very good. A small part of Grapevine is in the Carroll Independent School District, which also covers almost all of Southlake and is arguably better. The short version of the "argument" is that Carroll generally has better metrics than GCISD but also has more affluent demographics whereas GCISD's student body has a more mixed socioeconomic makeup. Short answer is that either district is an excellent choice.

Agree that at your price point, Grapevine is the only one of the three that really makes sense.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 AM

I going to say the reason for the price difrerence in those homes mint be location? Or possibly lot size? Hard to say without knowing specifics. Also remember that your property taxes in Grapefine are significantly lower than in Southlake.

As I've said in other posts, the "sweet" spot in Grapevine is near Parr Park in the far SW part, or the little sliver between 121 and 360.

The construction is well ahead of schedule. Last I saw, they will finish late 2013, which is a year ahead of schedule. And yes, traffic will be a lot better once they are done! Southlake will add about 15 minutes to the commute to downtown Dallas just because you are further west.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,745 times
There is currently SO MUCH traffic in the Grapevine area. It's gonna look beautiful when they finish but in the meantime you are gonna pull out your hair just trying to get somewhere. I almost wrecked trying to make it to the Apple store over in Southlake.

but anyway, Southlake is a beautiful part of town. The houses are gorgeous and it has a great quality of life. however with that, is the expensive homes. I work in Coppell which is right next to Grapevine. I like that area quite a bit. you will have to dig a little deeper to find a gem like the one you are searching for but I'n sure if it is meant for you to land in Grapevine you will get there. I know this might be a faux pas but have you tried looking at foreclosures in the Southlake area? It might get you into the house you want at the price you want with maybe a little more of a headache that normally.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,076,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
As I've said in other posts, the "sweet" spot in Grapevine is near Parr Park in the far SW part.
Love love LOVE that area, especially with the hills! There are some awfully big (and I assume expensive) houses there.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,611,791 times
With your budget even some parts of Grapevine will be a stretch. I suggest you look in the surrounding areas.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM

Not true at all. There are lots of homes in that price range in Grapevine! Even the area I mentioned has plenty of them. You will need a good Realtor who knows the area, and can show you houses as soon as they list!

Last edited by ChristieP; 06-07-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas