Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Where adults are concerned about the opinions of children about adult things - that's when society has gotten too crazy.
Its a good point,but children learn from their parents..Where society has gotten REALLY crazy is how people define themselves these days..No longer to we consider manners, or being a good person important enough to aspire to. Now we size people up based on what political (or in the case of lots of Texans-religious) afflictions they are willing to admit to within the first few minutes of meeting you.

We weren't meant to live this way..Carlin had it right, as soon as the water became questionable to drink it was a sign the whole system was breaking down. ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Its a good point,but children learn from their parents..Where society has gotten REALLY crazy is how people define themselves these days..No longer to we consider manners, or being a good person important enough to aspire to. Now we size people up based on what political (or in the case of lots of Texans-religious) afflictions they are willing to admit to within the first few minutes of meeting you.
Speaking as someone who is from here and lives here, I disagree. I am not 'sized up' based on my political or religious affiliations. I can't remember the last time someone asked me about my politics, and I am only slightly more frequently asked about my religion. People here do have oblique ways of figuring out what your politics are, but most people I know have friends from both ends of the spectrum so obviously it isn't a deal breaker.

North Texans judge on two things, mainly: money and class.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Where adults are concerned about the opinions of children about adult things - that's when society has gotten too crazy.
My concern, as a parent of a young child, is that she'll get judged by her peers based on outward presentations of wealth/status. I know, kids learn most from their parents on things, some kids will be jerks no matter what, kids make stupid judgments on stupid things all the time, all that stuff, but if one lives in an area where the parents are making lots of these judgments and their kids are picking up on it....

Suffice to say that I don't give a rip if my neighbors think I'm a cheapas.....er, frugal person, but I do care if my daughter has a harder time with kids in her school because of it.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

North Texans judge on two things, mainly: money and class.
Two of lifes noble pursuits..

Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
Ironic, one of the big Prosper boosters on this board uses a similar argument against Frisco, saying that's the reason they prefer Prosper (and I don't see the same thing in Frisco either, at least in my development)....
I have found that while Prosper,Colleyville/ Dallas neighborhoods and Southlake may have a pretentious air,"the carpet often matches the drapes ".Meaning if someone owns a 4000 square foot house it is on a lot that compliments the house size. If that same person is driving a Mercedes it is fitting. From my experience, the carpet does not match the drapes in Frisco more often than not. I have met many families living in heritage lakes and the trails who are in 2500 squre foot houses on practically zero lots leasing luxury cars. Frisco is a bang for your buck area. There is nothing wrong with that,to each their own.I think that is a good way to deacribe the vibe difference. Frisco has a low property tax rates and very small lots that still offer large houses. It is alot more afforable to buy a 4000 square foot house in Frisco on a zero lot than it is to buy that same house in Prosper.Owning larger pieces of land cost more to maintain, property tax and upkeep,long term. If someone can really afford a 4000 square foot house chances are they can afford the land it is on and do not choose to live 5 feet away from the house next to them.In my opinion,you will find more wealth in areas like Prosper/Colleyville/Southlake/Dallas neighbohoods than you will in a place like Frisco. Many colleagues descrie Frisco as the perfect place for the 30 k millionare. I understand why. There are plenty of wonderful people in Frisco who do not fall into that category but there are reasons why people view it as tacky. The term Frisclosure has become popular in the past few years.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: repaired quote tags

Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I have found that while Prosper,Colleyville/ Dallas neighborhoods and Southlake may have a pretentious air,"the carpet often matches the drapes ".Meaning if someone owns a 4000 square foot house it is on a lot that compliments the house size. If that same person is driving a Mercedes it is fitting. From my experience, the carpet does not match the drapes in Frisco more often than not. I have met many families living in heritage lakes and the trails who are in 2500 squre foot houses on practically zero lots leasing luxury cars. Frisco is a bang for your buck area. There is nothing wrong with that,to each their own.I think that is a good way to deacribe the vibe difference. Frisco has a low property tax rates and very small lots that still offer large houses. It is alot more afforable to buy a 4000 square foot house in Frisco on a zero lot than it is to buy that same house in Prosper.Owning larger pieces of land cost more to maintain, property tax and upkeep,long term. If someone can really afford a 4000 square foot house chances are they can afford the land it is on and do not choose to live 5 feet away from the house next to them.In my opinion,you will find more wealth in areas like Prosper/Colleyville/Southlake/Dallas neighbohoods than you will in a place like Frisco. Many colleagues descrie Frisco as the perfect place for the 30 k millionare. I understand why. There are plenty of wonderful people in Frisco who do not fall into that category but there are reasons why people view it as tacky. The term Frisclosure has become popular in the past few years.
You lost me at Carpets and drapes.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: repaired quoted text tags

Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 PM

48 posts, read 132,348 times
I for one, love living in Prosper. Are there richer kids than mine, yes. Are there stores everywhere, no. Precisely why I moved here. I moved from NC to Texas and did my homework and fell in love with Prosper. I do have three school aged kids, so that is different than the other person with the grown kids. However, I never get the sense any of my neighbors or others in the town care about my house size or vehicle. People are flocking to this area for a reason.

The schools and athletic facilites are some of the best in the state, low crime, friendly people, etc.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmccurrys View Post
I for one, love living in Prosper. Are there richer kids than mine, yes. Are there stores everywhere, no. Precisely why I moved here. I moved from NC to Texas and did my homework and fell in love with Prosper. I do have three school aged kids, so that is different than the other person with the grown kids. However, I never get the sense any of my neighbors or others in the town care about my house size or vehicle. People are flocking to this area for a reason.

The schools and athletic facilites are some of the best in the state, low crime, friendly people, etc.

Agreed...Prosper is a fantastic town

Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM

325 posts, read 756,967 times
Quote:
Let's see, couple of the online realty sites show Prosper has approximately 1 foreclosure for every 300 residents. Frisco has 1 foreclosure for every 350 residents. Maybe soon they'll start calling it Prosperless...

Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM

325 posts, read 756,967 times
Quote:
Let's see, couple of the online realty sites show Prosper has approximately 1 foreclosure for every 300 residents. Frisco has 1 foreclosure for every 350 residents. Maybe soon they'll start calling it Prosperless...

Bottom line is, every town has it's boosters, every town has it's critics. No need to for anyone to fault others to make their town look better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas