Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 AM

18 posts, read 42,398 times

Advertisements

I Know What You Mean.. We Drive By Some Places With Million Dollars Homes And I Wonder "who Are These People".. And Contractors Just Keep Building.
It Depends On Location, Location, Location.. We Built Our House For 150,000 In Il..in Las Vegas It Would Be Worth 850,000..same House..
Good Luck...they Say It Is A Buyer's Market,, And No, I Do Not Know Who ""they"" Are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
What is the deal with those two story arch entrances? I thought those were passe' even in the suburbs. I'd be incensed if they built one of those next to me..
I agree completely! Builders have overdone two-story arched porches for YEARS and I am so sick of them. It seems like every tract house in town has one and they do nothing to protect the front door from weather! To me, nothing screams "Late '90's" more than tall arched porches slapped on the front of boring boxes.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I agree completely! Builders have overdone two-story arched porches for YEARS and I am so sick of them. It seems like every tract house in town has one and they do nothing to protect the front door from weather! To me, nothing screams "Late '90's" more than tall arched porches slapped on the front of boring boxes.
The tide is beginning to turn. We are looking at a development here in San Antonio that features lots of large one story porches on two story plans. Very attractive. I think Pulte is the worst for having the over done two story entrances. And yes - ever stand on a two story porch in the rain...and get all wet. They are so pointless.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
The tide is beginning to turn. We are looking at a development here in San Antonio that features lots of large one story porches on two story plans. Very attractive. I think Pulte is the worst for having the over done two story entrances. And yes - ever stand on a two story porch in the rain...and get all wet. They are so pointless.
Pulte and D.R. Horton BOTH are notorious for those blasted things. Then every low end tract builder behind them followed their lead. It was some way I guess they thought would evoke some sense of "class" to the masses looking at lower end housing. It was a cheap way to add a "porch" of some sort onto the front of a small two story box. A small gable sticking off the roof and two brick columns going down either side. woo-hoo. Most of the builders who do those things are not building what I would say are "McMansions". Also notice there are little or no overhangs around the entire homes? YUCK!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Pulte and D.R. Horton BOTH are notorious for those blasted things. Then every low end tract builder behind them followed their lead. It was some way I guess they thought would evoke some sense of "class" to the masses looking at lower end housing. It was a cheap way to add a "porch" of some sort onto the front of a small two story box. A small gable sticking off the roof and two brick columns going down either side. woo-hoo. Most of the builders who do those things are not building what I would say are "McMansions". Also notice there are little or no overhangs around the entire homes? YUCK!
Thankfully this trend if finally changing. Here in San Antonio KB Home has a new line of houses with great porches and wonderful architectural detailing to avoid the box look. The exact opposite of Pulte.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,418 times
You can look at the 2 story over hang in a couple of ways:
1. It's a 21st century, attached car port
2. It will protect cars from hail

Always looking for the positive.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
You can look at the 2 story over hang in a couple of ways:
1. It's a 21st century, attached car port
2. It will protect cars from hail

Always looking for the positive.

We are talking about two story entrances to houses...how will they protect a car from hail?

Old 10-07-2007, 01:29 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,418 times
They LOOK like they would protect from hail. Not that they would actually serve that purpose. I was keeping the theme of looking expensive just to look good or it's there for the show.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Another draw back of the high two story porch is cleaning them...cobwebs love those second story ceilings...

Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 PM

63 posts, read 365,771 times
The average household income for Highland Park is $140ish and the average home price is in the $900's. If you are balking at $2800 per month with a household income of $180k you need a budget coach! lol With your income per year you are in the top 5% nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas