U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,487 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

My small family of 4 (hubby, two girls ages 7 and 9 and myself) are considering taking a job offer in the Dallas area from Philly at the end of July or early August. Coppell is where the main office is for my husband's new job, however my husband's territory will be New Mexico so he will be traveling back and forth to the airport weekly. We have friends in Frisco and in Carrollton and would like to remain fairly close to them, should something happen while the Husband is away on business. We want to stay close to the "support system" if possible. Our housing budget is about $250k but would like to be well under that if at all possible...but we are looking for something spacious around a 4-5 bedroom because the in-laws might be moving in with us in the next year or two. We would LOVE to live in a newer community, one with a pool and playground and of course an excellent school system for the munchkins.

Is there a place close by like this, or am I in a dream land? Recommendations? I will take the good, the bad and the ugly

Thanks Y'all!

Last edited by bluexoxo2525; 06-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: added more info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM

664 posts, read 1,661,037 times
You'll probably have to rank your priorities. I don't think you're going to find everything you're looking for. Coppell is all but off the table at a $250K budget. The parts of Frisco you can afford are the northern reaches. That puts you into newer construction and good schools but far from Carrollton and further from the airport. You can find something within your budget in Carrollton but the school system isn't as highly regarded as Frisco and you'll be looking at older (relative to Frisco) construction. As far as parks and pools are concerned, Frisco has more swim/tennis communities while Carrollton relies more on city pools and parks.

When you do start searching for homes, make sure to search by school district. In Texas, they use Independent School District (ISDs) which do not at all line up with city/county boundaries. So for example, parts of McKinney and Plano are in the Frisco ISD. Also be aware that property tax rates tend to be higher in Texas than they are in other states so make sure you budget accordingly.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 PM

43 posts, read 91,248 times
Frisco, TX sounds perfect for you. It has 4 to 5 bedroom homes under $250k. It has very good schools (Frisco ISD). It is an easy commute down Highway 121 (Sam Rayburn Tollway) to Carrollton (20 min. drive) and DFW airport (30 min. drive).

Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Our property taxes here in PA are about 3-5 k - from what I can see, they are relatively the same in Dallas...so no big stretch for us. In fact, with houses being so much cheaper there then here, we don't mind at all.

Other areas we were considering was Lewisville and McKinney. Too far from where we "want" to be?

The ISD thing is pretty confusing for us....lol....so I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,178,964 times
Unfortunately your wish list is going to be hard. If you are willing to live with a smaller home, you might find something in Coppell, but it is going to be rough. Except for that, Coppell would be perfect for you--excellent schools, proximity to airport, and an unbelievably awesome commute.

Quote:
Other areas we were considering was Lewisville and McKinney. Too far from where we "want" to be?
LISD has good schools, but not in the area you will be looking (Lewisville proper). Generally avoid any schools that feed into Lewisville High School, though some aren't too bad. LISD's Flower Mound schools are great, but then you are going to have the same pricing issues as Coppell, though you will have more room to work with. You aren't really going to be close to your friends, though.

I don't know enough about McKinney price wise, but the commute to the job in Coppell and airport is going to stink.

I would avoid Carrollton in general.

Maybe Grapevine?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,756,197 times
McKinney is awesome, and only 10-15 min from Frisco, but if your DH is going to be headed to DFW frequently I would put it down the list a bit (but you should still check it out as it may check a lot of your boxes).

Coppell...awesome, but might be a bit of a search at your budget. I would suggest the Castle Hills neighborhood (although you'll more than likely be in the newer section closer to the highway-which is in a lower rated ISD) but you never know. Frisco is also approx. 20-30 min. to DFW in light off hour traffic.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM

6,256 posts, read 15,992,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluexoxo2525 View Post
I would rule out the majority of Lewisville based on the commute, unless you can find a nice home that is in south Lewisville close to 121 access. Same thing goes for McKinney, I would rule out all of McKinney except possibly far west McKinney, with easy access to 121.

Plano would probably be ideal for you... but with one exception, you won't be able to find a newer community in your price range there. Both Frisco and McKinney would meet your budget/new construction criteria.

I think your best bet would be Frisco overall, but I'd have a realtor show you some choices in McKinney, Plano, and probably Allen too, just to see if you like them.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM

You all ROCK...thank you for your input. I highly value everyone's opinions!!!

If anyone has anything more to add...I'll take it!

Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas