Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:54 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Triumph of the Spirit, if I had a first-born, I would overnight it to you and not even ask for a receipt. I had no idea there was a Burmese eatery anywhere in the Metroplex. Lewisville here I come!
Be sure and give us a review after you try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
DFW is the third most diverse large MSA in the US behind NYC and SFO.

And unlike either of them, its also ideologically and economically more diverse.

When I bring major clients here from NYC, SFO, and DC areas they are impressed with the diversity, professionalism, and focus of the businesses and local governments of the region.
I used to believe in little green men on Mars too.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I believe in little green men on Mars too.
Statistically, I believe it's the 6th or 7th most diverse.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Statistically, I believe it's the 6th or 7th most diverse.
No way D/FW is more diverse than LA, DC, or Chicago.

Hell Fort Bend County is the most diverse county in Texas.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
No way D/FW is more diverse than LA, DC, or Chicago.

Hell Fort Bend County is the most diverse county in Texas.
Chicago is debatable. Their Asian concentrations are almost the same, Chicago has a higher white and black concentration and DFW has a higher Hispanic concentration. Chicago has more Europeans, but DFW has more Africans. I agree about LA or DC.

By the way, before you get any further, if you want to bring Houston further into the conversation (like you do 100% of the time), come with specific stats. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-15-2012 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: not your call to make

Old 06-15-2012, 07:06 AM

104 posts, read 164,763 times
To the Bolded,

The Dallas chatter is quite noisy to be honest among the immigrants because they do see Dallas as a place a very diverse area. We are moving to Dallas just because of its diversity. Right now it might be trailing the other cities, but I think the immigrant population is still going to grow exponentially.

Dallas is really an ideal choice for so many reasons and all of the people I know are really noticing
  • it has newer suburbs that are very safe and easy to travel inwards and around the perimeter of the city
    the subdivisions build mostly around the center of the city outward
    the layout of the entire area is really easy to navigate
    it is more wide open and spacious feeling

Then for our community especially, due to the efforts and cohesiveness of our community, we have really special resources that other cities do not have with regards to school and its particular curriculum.
The way we have access to our places of worship without having to drive very far and located in pretty good areas crime wise and just plain nice areas. This allows us to live in nicer areas that are more suitable for our children.

Now, we chose Dallas OVER Chicago (and every place in the U.S.; we really had that many choices) and I know many Chicagoians who are moving to Dallas just because of all I mentioned. Yes for us there is more diversity in the other named places, but they have little to offer other than numbers. We're looking for more quality of lifestyle and that covers really a lot of dynamics.

We think Dallas is an awesome choice and I do think it's going only grow in its awesomeness. I honestly can't say how the born and raised there feel, but the communities we belong to are good enough that we feel a lot of support and belonging that even if there are some negative feelings about us...there are also quite enough positive feelings to help our children stay balanced and feeling positive.

If you see who lives in the Breckenridge areas, it's a majority non White population and is so extremely diverse and wonderful. I'm not saying white people aren't good but it helps minorities to not feel so minor and all else that goes along with being a minority - building security and a stronger esteem etc. Good ingredients for good citizenry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I grew up in Dallas. I always knew there were a lot of Asian. I was doing a little research and came across this.
According to this, Dallas-Fort Worth boasts the:
  • 4th largest Vietnamese population in the US.
  • 4th largest Burmese population in the US.
  • 2nd largest Laotian population (arguably 3rd, since they divided the Bay Area, and that does make a difference) the US.
  • 13th largest Khmer (Cambodian population)in the US -- nothing THAT impressive on this one. I guess maybe 12 if you count the Bay Area as one metropolitan Area.
I note that these sub-ethnic groups are still relatively small (with the exception of the Vietnamese). That being said, there are massive amounts of ethnic Chinese (inc. Taiwanese and most Singaporeans), Indians, Koreans, and Pakistanis within the area as well.

I also believe Euless has (one of?) the largest TONGAN populations in the US, and Irving is home to one of the largest Nepalese populations in the country too... let alone the metropolitan area.

I feel like people disqualify Dallas in terms of being a major destination for Asian Immigrants. It's not as much as NYC or San Fran, but I think it's a larger destination then some pretty significant cities like Chicago or Miami.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Chicago is debatable. Their Asian concentrations are almost the same, Chicago has a higher white and black concentration and DFW has a higher Hispanic concentration. Chicago has more Europeans, but DFW has more Africans. I agree about LA or DC.

By the way, before you get any further, if you want to bring Houston further into the conversation (like you do 100% of the time), come with specific stats. Moderator cut: see comment
Fort Bend County is not Houston just as Collin County is not Dallas.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-15-2012 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Fort Bend County is not Houston just as Collin County is not Dallas.
You know I meant the Houston area. I welcome comparing any city or area based on stats, but dont just throw it out there.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM

383 posts, read 733,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
So, when are the authentic Burmese & Laotian restaurants going to start rolling in?
Excellent question.

Having access to excellent asian markets is one thing if you want to cook at home, but where are the top-tier Asian restaurants. There should be a ton of them by now.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Excellent question.

Having access to excellent asian markets is one thing if you want to cook at home, but where are the top-tier Asian restaurants. There should be a ton of them by now.
There are a ton of them, just not Laotian or Burmese. Only a few of those and theyre pretty spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas