Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,786 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a recent college grad from New York and just got a job in Coppell on the S Belt Line Rd next to the airport. I have absolutely no knowledge about Dallas, no friends there and have never been there so definitely would appreciate any advice about moving to Dallas.

My first question is where is the best place to live? I'm a young, recent college grad, from the north, and would describe myself as being slightly a bit hipster (haha well not your extreme dirty hipster) but also likes to go out to the bars/clubs. So looking for a young, hip, lively, slightly artsy place to live, where the most important thing is being able to walk around and be able to go to stores/coffeeshops.

From doing research and such, I've narrowed it down to Uptown, Downtown (by main street/historic); and maybe Deep Ellum?

So ya, haha essentially are those some of the best places to find an apartment in? Also, how would the commute be? 30-60min is doable, mehhh anything over an hour on a daily basis wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Thanks so much everyone! Really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Deep Ellum probably fits you best; it and parts of Oak Cliff have a bit of that Brooklyn vibe you might be looking for. But the drive to Coppell might get old. I never make that drive so someone else might be able to give a better estimate on how long it would take.

Uptown does have young people but it's definitely not hipster. The ratio of body art, gauge earrings, and beards per capita is pretty darn low. And there is no live music in Uptown. Uptown is, depending on who's talking, either: 1) yuppie or 2) douchey

Welcome to Dallas!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman7 View Post
From doing research and such, I've narrowed it down to Uptown, Downtown (by main street/historic); and maybe Deep Ellum?
I think you're good at research. Uptown is the most like Manhattan. Deep Ellum might be like Manhattan (maybe a bit like the East Village) if it were more densely populated. However, it'll be a hell of a commute.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
If you can handle the commute, add the M-Streets/Lower Greenville/Knox Henderson neighborhoods to your list. You're on the right track, though.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
Rent close to work. Get a feel for the area(DFW) then decide once your 6mo. or 1yr. lease is up. It's better(IMO) to get the kinks that come along with starting a new job and living in a new region of the country, out of the way, then to find the best skinny jean to indy coffee shop to fedora ratio. But, i'm just kinda weird like that.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
I'd recommend Las Colinas...that drive from uptown/downtown to Coppell will not be fun...especially if it rains/snows/ices/hails/etc and you have to make that drive daily during peak hours.

If you don't mind the drive...then you've picked out some good areas.

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 PM

332 posts, read 1,386,947 times
The drive from downtown/deep ellum to coppell is under 30 minutes in the morning and under 45 on the way home. Traffic is going the opposite direction. Add maybe 10 more minutes from uptown.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I completely agree with Buster. Rent close to your work for 6 months to get used to your job and get your bearings of living down here. You dont want to always be late to work because youre stuck in traffic!!After that 6 months, move to an area you like.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 PM

111 posts, read 391,110 times
You have your areas pegged. Coppell is nowhere near anyplace of the type you described. The areas you described are the nearest ones to it. Are you finding some place sight unseen or will you be down here beforehand? Depending on how much stuff you are hauling you could live in one of those weekly places for a few days and physically try the drive yourself before you settle into a place. Finding a place in either area ought not be too hard and moving from one to the other after 6 months ought not be hard either.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,854 times
Since you mention the term "hipster," you might want to look at this recent thread that raised some of the same issues. I think Bishop Arts (in Oak Cliff) is the most "hipster" in the contemporary sense of the term.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ptown-oak.html

Here's a couple of hipster-friendly bars:
(in Oak Cliff) The Foundry Bar - Bar - Dallas, TX | Facebook
(in the Cedars) Lee Harvey's - 214-428-1555

Note the Pabst neon sign in the Lee Harvey's photograph -- very hipster!

Also these threads:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ghborhood.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...near-deep.html

If "walkable" is more important than "hipster," then definitely Uptown -- that is certainly the most walkable part of town.

The cautions about the commute are quite valid. It is doable, but costly in terms of time, effort, and money. Of course, there is no public transportation in Coppell (to my knowledge). If you lived in Deep Ellum, you could get on the DART green line which would drop you a few miles outside Coppell, then hitchhike to work (I'm joking here).

On the upside, there are plenty of different highway options to get from Dallas to Coppell, so you can explore different routes and have a backup in case of terrible traffic. Also the reverse commute is good.

However, it's quite understandable to want to live in Dallas not Coppell as a young college grad. If you do live in Deep Ellum / Bishop Arts (Oak Cliff) / Downtown, you are not that far away from any of the other neighborhoods in question, so you can explore them all from wherever you end up. We live in East Dallas and go out to Bishop Arts (i.e. southwest of downtown) all the time.

One issue is housing stock. Deep Ellum has more lofts in industrial buildings; Oak Cliff has more duplexes, rental houses and a couple of apartment buildings; downtown more high-rises; uptown more "apartment communities" with full-fledged pool, entertainment room, etc. (very post-college).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas