Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,522 times

Advertisements

Hi.I was wondering if anyone might post suggestions of places to meet people.Honestly the question is not relative to my location as much as it is to being in a new place.I am coming out of a 23 year marriage,and from California.It'd help to know where to go to meet people in general,as it was of no concern to me before.I know 1 person here....*sighs*Also,any suggestions of things to do,places to see would be appreciated.Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Checkout the meetup.com website, they have different activities for people to explore and share.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Where are you located, and how old are you? Can't really give you much advice if I don't know your demographic.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Consider one or more of the popular matchmaking sites (e.g. Match.com) Lots of profiles are from new-to-towners and say they're interested in meeting someone to show them around. You could look for those or post your own profile and see who replies. Not all are there necessarily for romance, but friendships as well. I wish I had something like that when I moved here in the 80s, sure would have been nice to scan hundreds of profiles based on the parameters that were right for me, if nothing else than for companionship and someone who knows their way around this huge city.

Also consider churches, sporting and arts-type organizations, professional organizations, chambers of commerce, non-profits/charitable organizations. Google singles groups etc in Dallas area and I bet will bring up lots of groups you didn't know existed that would be of interest. Most will give you a contact name, number, email. Best wishes, it's alot easier to meet people these days IMO regardless of age.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 PM

98 posts, read 427,745 times
I second what RockyJoe said: meetup.com. It's not a dating site exactly; I'm married and SURE not looking to date! I did, however, find a couple of nice scooter clubs and the BEST women's group ever. There is probably a meetup for just about any interest you have, from motorcycles/scooters to books, art, dining, comedy, photography--the list is endless, and yes, they do have singles groups, too. Just don't put too much personal info on the site or use your real name. Most of the meetups are held at some public place & are fairly safe, just be a little bit cautious as you would with anything on the internet. Maybe a women's social group would be a good way to check it out. Good luck & have lots of fun!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Volunteer! You will meet other generous volunteers that share an interest while helping others.

What do you enjoy doing? I bet that you can do that as a volunteer. Non-profits always need help. Find out about mentoring programs. Animal shelters need walkers. Meals on Wheels needs drivers. Dallas Heritage Village needs volunteers. Habitat for Humanity? The Southwest Celtic Music Association organizes the Irish Festival every spring, and they need lots of volunteers. Dig a little and see if there is an organization like that which interests you and see if they need help organizing their festival or conference.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
What are your interests? What did you do in your offtime in California? Chances are there are tons of people here who are interested in the same thing. Meetup.com is a good way to explore that. And, if you say you have no hobbies/interests, there are meetup.com groups dedicated to eating (there's an ethnic restaurants group, a fine dining group, etc.). Everyone eats, right? Between meetup and volunteering, you're bound to make a couple of acquaintance/friendship connections that could be the beginnings of a wider social circle.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:35 PM

20 posts, read 22,848 times
Like others said - meetup.com. That's how I met people when I first moved to DFW. There are so many different people you can meet - from volunteer groups to spiritual groups to dog groups. The groups meet all over DFW so you not only meet people, but you also get a feel for the area as well.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 PM

105 posts, read 330,452 times
Meetup.com is cool. I've met some very nice people from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: