Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times

Advertisements

Raising Cane's and Zaxby's are both Guthrie's clones. Zach McLeroy and Todd Graves (Zaxby's and Raising Cane's founders, respectively) were both UGA grads. Guthrie's is a family-owned operation that maintained a very popular location right next to UGA's campus from the mid-80's until the early 2000's. The basic fingers, sauce and fries from Cane's and Zaxby's taste more or less identical to Guthrie's. Cane's and Zaxby's added other stuff to the menu. I personally like the fingers at all 3 but if I'm in the mood for fried chicken, I don't really think about a chicken finger place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 PM

871 posts, read 2,688,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
Try Golden Chick in Murphy, it's really good. I like it over Chicken Express for tenders but the one I use to go too( not in my area now) was not terrible. In general like you, I don't like fried food which includes fried chicken. It has to be flavorful through, so picky about it. I don't like it dry or greasy, it has to be a happy medium. We all have our spots. I still like Sylvias fried chicken mix the best, you have to cook that though. The only one who ever did chicken right was my grandmother and her recipe went to the grave with her.
I understand that Golden Chick as well serves gravy with its tenders. Do you know if they have other sauces?

P.S. to the thread: Still trying to get this answer as to Chicken Express as well.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM

217 posts, read 381,786 times
I'm a Chicken fan.... try most places. Not sure what you are all seeing in the Golden Chick place, granted I only had it once, I couldn't eat it.... literally tasted and smelled like a swamp, maybe I'll give them another try based upon what I have read here.

I have a Chicken Express by where I live, and they are okay... I like the dipping sauces. I have had Canes, was un-impressed. I hate to say it, but from a fast-food point of view, I think KFC original recipe is the best chicken and their grilled chicken is the best for the category. Churches is pretty good too. I like Popeyes chicken itself, but I do not like the sides.

But, to each their own. Probably has a lot to do with the type of cuisine you were raised on as to which you like.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I understand that Golden Chick as well serves gravy with its tenders. Do you know if they have other sauces?

P.S. to the thread: Still trying to get this answer as to Chicken Express as well.

Thanks!!!
My workmate says he asks for the 'zest' packet and mixes it with his gravy for a much spicier dipping gravy. Other than that, I don't know of other sauces other than ketchup.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
OK - just got around to eating at Raising Cane's yesterday at the new location in Rowlett. I am totally unimpressed. If I want good chicken strips, I'll just stick to Chicken Express. Their sauce was bland, and cole slaw was the supermarket variety. The best thing was probably the Texas toast.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
My husband and I finally tried the Raising Canes in Valley Ranch last week. It was good chicken, but the menu is so limited we wouldn't go back. Just not our thing

Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,715 times
Default Overrated

Raising Cane's seems bland and flavorless to me. Honestly, Church's (if you get spicy instead of regular) and Popeye's taste better and more robust. I'd put Chick-fil-a, Popeye's, Big Mama's Chicken, Henderson Chicken, Williams Chicken, KFC, Church's and just about any other ahead of Cane's.

It seems like in Louisiana (and to a lesser extent, Houston), Raising Cane's has a diverse clientele and is popular with many different types of people. When I go to Raising Cane's in Dallas, I only see yuppies, transplants from the midwest, suburbanites that won't go south of Northpark mall and college students enjoying it. Cane's strikes me as the type of place where pretentious people go to eat fried chicken without "eating fried chicken."

If you only eat boneless chicken, with sweet tea/lemonade and a dipping sauce, you are not a connoiseur of fried chicken. Gizzards, liver, hot sauce, delicious drumsticks with okra etc., that's fried chicken.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Raising Cane's and Zaxby's are both Guthrie's clones. Zach McLeroy and Todd Graves (Zaxby's and Raising Cane's founders, respectively) were both UGA grads. Guthrie's is a family-owned operation that maintained a very popular location right next to UGA's campus from the mid-80's until the early 2000's. The basic fingers, sauce and fries from Cane's and Zaxby's taste more or less identical to Guthrie's. Cane's and Zaxby's added other stuff to the menu. I personally like the fingers at all 3 but if I'm in the mood for fried chicken, I don't really think about a chicken finger place.
Todd Graves went to LSU and Cane's was founded in Baton Rouge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokejaguar1986 View Post
I'd put Chick-fil-a, Popeye's, Big Mama's Chicken, Henderson Chicken, Williams Chicken, KFC, Church's and just about any other ahead of Cane's.
You are comparing apples and oranges. Sure Popeye's and Chick-fil-a are good but one is a general chicken place and the other is sandwiches. Neither has chicken strips as good as Cane's.

Chicken Strips:
Cane's - Best chicken strips hands down
Bubba's - Second best chicken strips
Chicken express - Distant third

Others catagories:
Popeye's - Best overall chicken place
Chick-fil-a - Best chicken sandwich

Williams Chicken, KFC, and Church's are just awful. I wouldn't that to my dog

Never been to Big Mama's Chicken or Henderson Chicken.

Last edited by pharpe; 09-09-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Thanks for the tips on Chicken Express! I too have been very disappointed by Raising Cane's. Chicken Express sounds better so I gotta try it.

One Chicken Express question though: I understand the default for dipping chicken tenders at Chicken Express is gravy. Do they have other options or is it like Raising Cane's with only one kind of sauce? I would love a BBQ and/or honey mustard and/or something spicy.

Thanks!
Update to my last reply to you: I visited the new Chicken Express at Eldorado and Custer on the McKinney/ Frisco border and they had about 8 dipping sauces to choose from. I usually frequent the one at Lake Forest and 380 in McKinney and have never seen the sauces there. They were all in small round containers with a heavy foil pull back lid, they all were marked with the Chicken Express logo. Don't know if they have just come out or if this one carries them and others don't.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
Todd Graves went to LSU and Cane's was founded in Baton Rouge.
What you said is true. What I said is also true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas