Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times

Advertisements

Moving to Dallas soon and will need to get a car. Any recommendations for some good used car dealerships? So far my online search has lead to a lot of places selling scrappy cars from rental fleets with tons of mileage and high prices. Is that the norm for the dfw area or am I looking at the wrong dealers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 08:05 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times
Really depends what you are looking for in a used car. I buy used cars that are less than four years with low mileage from a reputable dealer. Usually pay less than half of a new cost and the car is new to me.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
Really depends what you are looking for in a used car. I buy used cars that are less than four years with low mileage from a reputable dealer. Usually pay less than half of a new cost and the car is new to me.
That's what I'm looking for but not finding any on the web- instead I'm finding the opposite. Can you recommend any dealers? Since I'm a new driver I'm not looking to buy a new car, but I need something reliable and low mileage (don't want to buy a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen). I'm debating whether or not to buy a car where I live now and have it shipped, or buy something in Dallas when I arrive. At the moment I'm finding better cars where I live but I might not be finding reputable Dallas dealers online to compare to. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for recommendations here.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
There are tons of car dealers here that sell used cars. All of the major manufacturers (Ford, Chevy, Honda, Nissan, Dodge, etc.) have a used car section. There's also Carmax, which only sells used cars. If you are looking at the small/individual used only dealers, those are usually the worst ones. You can also buy a used car on Craigslist. I personally sold a car there a few years ago.

No need to ship a car to TX, and if it didn't have air conditioning, you would be hating yourself!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,341 times
You need to go to a car dealer from the brand of cars you are looking for and know exactly which model you want . Those usually are more reliable , checked and come with a better warranty.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
What is your budget, and what type of car are you looking for? (Sedan, SUV, coupe, etc.)

Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
There's always Craigslist...we've had the best luck there so far.

Not a fan of Carmax. They claim "they make car buying easy" by sticking to a fixed price...no negotiating. To me it sounds like they are making car buying easy buy screwing you over. I went there once and was amazed at what they wanted me to spend $7-$10k on.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
What is your budget, and what type of car are you looking for? (Sedan, SUV, coupe, etc.)
$18k, honda accord ex-l 4 cyl that was not prerviously owned by a rental fleet or bought at auction. We found one near us ('09 with 25k miles from a 3 year lease where the driver hardly used it) for that price (we were hoping to talk them down to 17k). Not sure if I want to pounce if similar can be purchased Dallas since having cars shipped across country is a pain in the rear . On first glance used car prices seem 2k higher in Dallas than where I am locally and tend to come from rental fleets.

Last edited by Alkonost; 06-18-2012 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
There's always Craigslist...we've had the best luck there so far.

Not a fan of Carmax. They claim "they make car buying easy" by sticking to a fixed price...no negotiating. To me it sounds like they are making car buying easy buy screwing you over. I went there once and was amazed at what they wanted me to spend $7-$10k on.
Yeah I know what you mean about the fixed prices. These days you can research the cars and find out a lot about a specific car before you even visit the dealer, the retail value doesn't mean much when you find out how many accidents the car has been through

Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
$18k, honda accord ex-l 4 cyl that was not prerviously owned by a rental fleet or bought at auction. We found one near us ('09 with 25k miles from a 3 year lease where the driver hardly used it) for that price (we were hoping to talk them down to 17k). Not sure if I want to pounce if similar can be purchased Dallas since having cars shipped across country is a pain in the rear . On first glance used car prices seem 2k higher in Dallas than where I am locally and tend to come from rental fleets.
Well, you'll get the best deal from an individual looking to sell than you will from a dealer, always. I would advise to start looking on craigslist for vehicle by owner, as well as autotrader. If you find one you like, with your criteria (09-10 model, low miles) you shouldn't have a problem getting financing from your bank or other places that do auto loans, like Capital One. That way you aren't forced into buying from a dealer. I try to avoid buying from a dealer at all costs, except when I may be trading in a car at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: