Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 10:56 PM

251 posts, read 1,532,091 times

Advertisements

Looking to open a small bussiness and shopping around for a security company. Adt offer sounds reasonable but have read many bad reviews on them and hear there not to trustworthy. They insisted i needed to agree to a 3-year agreement of $35.99 a month. I explained that i didnt feel comfortable with such a long lease on a new start up business but they claimed if i ever had to shut down the bussiness for any reason that they would terminate my contract as long as i give them a 30 day written notice.Does anyone know if such a thing is true?
i requested To see contract before deciding but they insisted on me seeing it when tech arrives for install.

Again i have read many bad reviews regarding this issue but there offer is pretty reasonable and tempting. I have till thursday to decide on one.Please let me know what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 AM

169 posts, read 433,314 times
You may want to google this but a few things jump out to me:

1. $35.99 is a high monthly price for monitoring only
2. 3 years is an incredibly long term for monitoring a system
3. I have only heard of horror stories of people trying to get out of their alarm monitoring contracts
4. They want you to read it when the techs are there so you are pressured into signing it then. The techs are going to want to get started, not stand around while you read it. Insist on calling back and getting a copy of the contract.

Burglar Alarm Buying Tips | www.clarkhoward.com
Clark Howard Discusses the Home Security Industry
506 Complaints and Reviews about ADT Security Systems

Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
1. That price is a tad high even for a business assuming no special service.
2. 3 yrs is forever. I'm guessing the sales person gets an extra spiff for selling a three year deal.

A good friend distributes parts to alarm cos. If you'd like I'll DM a few company names that he suggests.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM

251 posts, read 1,532,091 times
Yea ive called Around 5 companies and there all consistant as they either want a 3year term if they install there own equipment free or i buy them up front for like $500 and then they can do month to month. Anyone know of a company that would install and willing to do month to month or maybe even a 1 year contract instead of 3?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM

164 posts, read 590,350 times
I imagine they've had some experience with small businesses failing fairly quick and losing the investment of the installation and equipment. That $35.99 a month is more or less a way of paying for the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas