Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 AM

457 posts, read 428,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Well...Dallas has that "transient" feel with all those cookie-cutter new constructions because of all the out-of-state transplants moving here. It's because of y'all, not because of US. A lot of us don't like it either. Not sayin', just sayin'....you understand. Don't blame us.
Well, this is one transplant that is happy to oblige your request. You can rest assured I'll never be back! lol I am always happy to pass that along to anybody that asks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,409,488 times
Quote:
Well...Dallas has that "transient" feel with all those cookie-cutter new constructions because of all the out-of-state transplants moving here. It's because of y'all, not because of US. A lot of us don't like it either. Not sayin', just sayin'....you understand. Don't blame us.
I'm not so sure you're right about this. I am a transplant who is absolutely repelled by those neighborhoods ( I bought a 48 year old house ). I hated them in California too. Most of the people who work at my company live way out in the burbs, some of them in new construction. I've never lived anyplace so house/house size obsessed in my life. So a lot of those big new boxes must have been built to suit the local taste!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,125,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
Well, this is one transplant that is happy to oblige your request. You can rest assured I'll never be back! lol I am always happy to pass that along to anybody that asks as well.
You're breaking my heart.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm not so sure you're right about this. I am a transplant who is absolutely repelled by those neighborhoods ( I bought a 48 year old house ). I hated them in California too. Most of the people who work at my company live way out in the burbs, some of them in new construction. I've never lived anyplace so house/house size obsessed in my life. So a lot of those big new boxes must have been built to suit the local taste!
I disagree. I've never known a Dallas native who lived in one of those big boxes, and I know plenty of people who live out in the burbs. If they're even from Texas (which they usually aren't in my experience), they're not from D.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I've never known a Dallas native who lived in one of those big boxes, and I know plenty of people who live out in the burbs. If they're even from Texas (which they usually aren't in my experience), they're not from D.
I haven't polled my 40 coworkers on their birthplaces and am not going to obviously! I know that most are from Texas, with a smattering from Michigan where the company started originally. I really couldn't say whether they're from Dallas proper. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I haven't polled my 40 coworkers on their birthplaces and am not going to obviously! I know that most are from Texas, with a smattering from Michigan where the company started originally. I really couldn't say whether they're from Dallas proper. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
*shrug* In my experience that's not the case. Your mileage may vary. In any case it's clear that there would not be so much new construction if we didn't have so many new residents in Dallas.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM

418 posts, read 1,780,637 times
Quote:

My husband works for a very large, international company. They transfer people quite often, so many of his coworkers were not from Dallas. They ALL lived in the suburbs of Dallas. Even some big wig executive types. We used to wonder why some of those guys never moved to PH or HP with all that money, but it was always Plano or Frisco.

Interestingly enough, all of his coworkers thought we were weird for living in Dallas. Like it's some big, scary ghetto that they were too afraid to enter!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I have been here for 7 years. At right about 5 years I started to feel what you may call "at home". Unfortuately, at that time I also realized that I could never call Dallas "home". I am leaving Dallas permanently next month. There are FAR better places than Dallas to call "home", in my opinion.

The customs and way of life here are so significantly different than life on the East Coast where I am from and moving back to. It strikes me as far too "transient" for my tastes. The fact that most things here are newer construction makes Dallas and the nearby burbs all look like too sterile and cookie cutter for my liking. It lacks that "old world" charm that the more established areas of the Country like the East coast have.
I absolutely agree with you. That's why I don't like the suburbs of Dallas. They are altogether much too new, sterile and homogeneous. The City of Dallas has hills (Kessler Park, Lakewood, Cedar Hill State Park). And some old world charm. I take it you've never driven down Swiss Avenue in East Dallas. There are beautiful old turn of the century mansions. Kessler Park in South Dallas has the same. Except the old mansions are on cliffs and hills (Hence the name Oak Cliff).

If you think Dallas is all new and shiny, you haven't looked close enough. I certainly wish you the best of luck in PA. Home is where the heart is.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM

NativeDallasite, I'd be happy to help you knock down a few of the cookie-cutter hideous box neighborhoods with the 1 small matching tree on each front lawn in exactly the same place, if that makes you feel any better.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
NativeDallasite, I'd be happy to help you knock down a few of the cookie-cutter hideous box neighborhoods with the 1 small matching tree on each front lawn in exactly the same place, if that makes you feel any better.
Oh, I'd love to get rid of those 3-4k sq ft houses on .2 acre lots. They look ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas