Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,207 times

Advertisements

Interesting statistics came out today from the US Dept of Commerce giving economic size (GDP output) by metro area. It looks like as much as Dallas likes to brag about itself that Houston's economy really is bigger.......not by much though : ) Here is a link to the site and some select metro area's GDP. Dallas was larger into 2004 but Houston eclipsed DFW in 2005. It's amazing how massive NYC Metro still is.

In Billions

Atlanta Metro: $242 B
Austin Metro: $65 B
Chicago Metro: $461 B
Dallas-Fort Worth Metro: $315.5 B
Houston Metro: $316.3 B
Los Angeles Metro: $632 B
New York Metro: $1,056 B
San Antonio Metro: $67 B

http://www.bea.gov/regional/gdpmetro/default.cfm#download
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 AM

6 posts, read 27,851 times
Only because oil is $80 a barrel.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
The difference is too small to mean anything, just one quarter of one percent. That's well within the margin of error.

The numbers are actually just an estimate made by a Waco economist, according to the news article I read. Some other economist would look at the same indicators and very likely have a different set of figures. Or look at different indicators entirely.

Amusing... but meaningless.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
*shrug* I won't lose any sleep over it.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 AM

They say that if you get 3 economists to research a problem, you get 6 different answers.

The University of Texas' economics final exam has the same questions every year. It's still hard to cheat because the right answers change every year.

Harry Truman was famous for wanting to find a one-handed economist. Whenever he'd be briefed on the economy, the professor would say... "on the other hand, if oil prices go up, the economy could actually shrink this year."

Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
ok. My neighbor's wife's butt is bigger than my wife's butt.

Quesstion for Dr. Phil: Is this a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing?

Dr. Phil sez: And how does that make you feel?

Thinking deeply on the matter, I discover that I am rather indifferent, I must confess. I understand that I am not supposed to covet my neighbor's ass, but I am not sure if that what we are talking about.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyBob View Post
Interesting statistics came out today from the US Dept of Commerce giving economic size (GDP output) by metro area. It looks like as much as Dallas likes to brag about itself that Houston's economy really is bigger.......not by much though : ) Here is a link to the site and some select metro area's GDP. Dallas was larger into 2004 but Houston eclipsed DFW in 2005. It's amazing how massive NYC Metro still is.

In Billions

Dallas-Fort Worth Metro: $315.5 B
Houston Metro: $316.3 B
I'd be interested in how the 'metro' area is defined for both DFW and Houston. Last I knew, DFW did encompass all of that area from the west side of Fort Worth to the east side of Dallas and some adjoining counties. Houston metro was that area of Houston that fell within Harris County. That would not include Galveston, Clear Lake (NASA), Friendswood, Sugarland, Woodlands, Conroe and probly others.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:08 PM

108 posts, read 570,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I'd be interested in how the 'metro' area is defined for both DFW and Houston. Last I knew, DFW did encompass all of that area from the west side of Fort Worth to the east side of Dallas and some adjoining counties. Houston metro was that area of Houston that fell within Harris County. That would not include Galveston, Clear Lake (NASA), Friendswood, Sugarland, Woodlands, Conroe and probly others.
Houston Metro Counties:
Harris
Brazoria
Galveston
Chambers
Fort Bend
Montgomery
Liberty
Waller

That part of "Houston" that falls entirely within Harris county is probably the City of Houston proper.
Are you sure you understand what Metro means?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:07 PM

The definition of a metro area is established by a Federal bureau called the Office of Management and Budget. What is nebulous, and very questionable, are the assumptions the Waco economist used to come up with his numbers. Since we don't know what they are, there is no way we can agree with his conclusions.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
The Houston metro does include the above mentioned cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthDallas40 View Post
Houston Metro Counties:
Harris
Brazoria
Galveston
Chambers
Fort Bend
Montgomery
Liberty
Waller

That part of "Houston" that falls entirely within Harris county is probably the City of Houston proper.
Are you sure you understand what Metro means?

Two more counties not mentioned that fall into the Houston metro...

Austin County
San Jacinto County

Greater Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas