Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times

Advertisements

You will not have to worry about hail or someone stealing your stuff.

This is a timely topic. When I left the house this morning, my neighbor was missing his tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,016,050 times
If you can afford it as you suggested, I would get the garage. Covered parking is also sufficient, but for me, it's nice having the garage for a couple of reasons. The first time you get into your car after it's been out in the sun, you'll know why even just been covered is smart. You'll burn your butt and your hands and have to wait for the A/C to kick in before you can get going! Also, think about when you're unloading your car with groceries, luggage, whatever...having a safe place to unload is great plus it's right there at your back door.

Yep, if it's not too much strain on your budget, I'd recommend it...I think you'll get a lot of benefit from it.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,463 times
I like having an attached garage. After years of having one I moved to Louisiana (1994) where they were not the norm and it was missed. Then I moved to Texas and it was the norm and so glad (1997-2006)...the one year I spent in Georgia the first month was without an attached garage and I hated it because I had to fight run and/or heat (no hail) to get to the car with the kids and/or the dog so it was a PITA, and yes I'm spoiled

That said since you are not used to one I wouldn't base my entire apartment search on one or without one, I would at least attempt covered parking though. I remember the first apartment I rented with an attached garage I felt like I was in heaven

Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
One word:

HEAT!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Thanks everyone. We're strongly leaning towards getting an apt with a garage thanks to all the advice here. Our car will be almost brand new so it could use the extra prorection, and one of the apartment complexes we're interested in seems to have a lot of vacancies with attached garages so the prices are better than we expected. Thanks again!

Last edited by Alkonost; 06-25-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:27 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,016,050 times
That's great...I think you'll find this is a good decision. And with a new car, you'll be so protective of it. The sun will also fade the paint after awhile...and the super heavy rain...you won't know what hit you if you're out in it. I've run from the office to the car in the parking lot (only about 30-45 secs) and gotten completely HOSED...

...when you hit the garage door button and you drive into cooler, dryer environs...you'll be ecstatic with your choice!!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
Things I like about my garage. In winter my windows are not fogged up or have frost of ice. I don't get wet going to car. Texas sun is brutal on cars. My car has never been broken into when it is in garage. I think it is worth the dollars just to protect your investment in your car.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM

112 posts, read 314,820 times
Garage is the way to go. When I had just covered parking, my car got scratched by kids riding their bikes in between cars. Looked like I had been keyed the entire length of my car. I have also seen those covered parking structures collapsed by snow(freaky but true) and blown down by high winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: