U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM

170 posts, read 340,885 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dallas in August. I am looking at the Power Properties apartment complexes, several of the complexes meet my requirements and I love the looks of the places, BUT many of the reviews online are pretty bad, and many are excellent... but most of the bad ones are several years old. So I am torn! One of the places I am considering is at 1001 Grigsby, between Swiss and Gaston.

Is there anyone here who lives in the area, at any of the PP properties or even in that very complex who could give me some leads on if the neighorhood is horrible or the apartments are a mess. Have friends who live there?

I have walked the streets using Google street view and some areas I definitely wouldnt want, like the one on Victor.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 PM

591 posts, read 894,615 times
I don't have direct experience, but I have noticed that virtually every apartment complex has some awful-sounding bad reviews. In fact, I would say that it is highly unusual for an apartment complex to have an overall good rating on the web. Not saying whether Power Properties is any better or worse than average.

On the neighborhood, I would say "it depends." Undoubtedly too gritty for some people, but perfectly fine for others. Few of the Power properties are in completely gentrified areas -- probably one reason for the relatively affordable rents.

In my personal opinion, from glancing at the Power website, the overall "best" locations are the ones farthest north and east toward Lakewood, i.e. 5808, 5908 and 6011 Gaston (very walkable to the Lakewood shops), and 7130 and 7204 Gaston (near the lake and the Santa Fe trail).

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks Walter. I have been doing some searching on this site for keywords like Gaston, Swiss Ave, power properties and junius heights.

I did read some of your comments on the neighborhood and comments from Lakewooder and others. Tons of great info.

Yes, some of those places, like the one on Victor, I would not go anywhere near. I can tell by the houses next door! No thanks!

Yes, people tend to leave pretty rotten reviews on apartments. Also the unhappy people tend to be the ones who do leave reviews on anything! I am not terribly picky, but will be there for 4 months without my hubby and dont want to have to deal with hoodlums, punks or dirtbags. Of course, when you like in apartments, you are going to get some of those regardless. But the fewer the better!

I am currently living in WV and cannot WAIT to get the hell out of this area. Cant wait to get there, get a job and get settled.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM

2,974 posts, read 8,840,454 times
I have a friend on Swiss within a block of Grigsby and they never complain about the neighborhood. The only night that can be rough is Halloween when cars and people clog Swiss and the surrounding streets to trick or treat. Many neighbors take pride in the decorations - Halloween through Christmas.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 AM

110 posts, read 233,229 times
I have friends who lived in a Power Property complex in Lakewood, where Gaston meets East Grand. I believe the Verandahs is the name. They enjoyed the experience and made friends with neighbors.

The stretch of Gaston you're inquiring about is, by some people's standards, still pretty rough. It's usually flanked by transients and homeless people - not sure if that makes you uncomfortable. There are some halfway houses and boarding houses around the intersection of Peak and Gaston, which usually attract some interesting characters.

That area of East Dallas is very patchy. The look of the neighborhood can change dramatically from block to block. It's not uncommon to see a million dollar home next to a dilapidated apartment complex.

I live in the area, by the way, and have never had any trouble. It can look rougher than it really is.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM

3,817 posts, read 4,521,052 times
I agree with the previous posts...and I really love the area. My sister has lived on and around Swiss for 20 some years. The only problem I think she ever had was leaving some change in her unlocked car once and it got taken by someone. Lesson? Keep your doors locked and maybe get a security system...other than that, it really isn't bad. Or maybe I'm so used to the area that it doesn't seem that bad to me.

One block is great, the other not so much...but overall, it's close to EVERYTHING...and the trees are really pretty. When you hit the end of Swiss where it runs into Hall - that's one of my favorite views of downtown Dallas.

Good luck...would like to hear what you think of the area once you get settled!!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM

2,974 posts, read 8,840,454 times
It is an interesting mixed area. There is a prominent Lakewood business owner who just did a huge renovation on the large house on Gaston at Moreland. Moreland has some small nicely kept duplex rentals between Gaston and Swiss.
My friends on Swiss in that area keep their bikes locked to their front porch, that's just common sense in an area like this, though.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,332,523 times
95% of the bad reviews are written by the kids of helicopter parents. AKA, the "waahhhh me?" generation. A few bad reviews is a good sign because that means the place is not going to put up with the riff raff.

If the place is kept up well and the cars in the parking lot are good, then its a good bet the place is solid.

Red flags are trash, trashy cars, and trashy people.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM

16,086 posts, read 38,566,264 times
Yea, I am a small time landlord who really doesn't charge enough and can be flexible if tenants run into trouble - however, some still hate me because they eventually have to pay the rent! I think they find out fairly fast that they had a good deal when they were with me (some have tried to come back)...still doesn't stop criticism.

As noted Gaston is a real mixed bag - these are sort of tucked between Gaston and the 'smaller' part of Swiss. I don't really get by there much but I am on Gaston quite a bit. You never know what you will see - recently I saw two big time yuppies in that block walking to Tony's gas station/store. There's another convenience store near there called "The Hood Store" - we think it's funny but I'm sure someone from another area might be horrified - which makes it even more delicious to us!

It was mentioned that the better stretches are farther east and nearer to Lakewood Shopping Center. 3-4 of the older apartment complexes have been demolished recently, but nothing new has yet been built. Personally, I think it's a matter of time...

You might try out Taco Joint and shopping at Aldi if you consider this complex.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Thank so much, all of you! I am going to go ahead and take this apartment and feel confident that it will be fine. I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks growing up so its not like I have never seen anything rough. The area I live in now is a pretty mixed bag. Middle class neighborhood, but just over to Rt 11 and it goes like this Bar, strip club, used car lot in front yard, another strip club, a church, another used car lot in front yard, then a school, then another strip club. I think I counted 11 bars and strip clubs in an 8 mile stretch. But it is still safe enough. Its not like I am living in Beverly Hills here.

Look forward to hearing more. Cant wait to try the Taco Joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: