Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 15,751 times

Advertisements

I found a few threads on this place but was wondering if anyone had any updated info/reviews?

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...rado-road.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...area-live.html

I am relocating from Birmingham, AL and I have to be there in 2 weeks. I am literally at my wits end looking for somewhere to live. I like the fact that these are new. I have not had time to come and check out anywhere so I will be pretty much just picking online. I am to the point now where I just want to find something that is nice for a year until I can make a better decision once I'm used to my surrounds and able to look around better.

I am a 30 single year old female and currently I live in a loft in downtown Birmingham, so while I'm concerned about safety, I'm not overly concerned expecting everything to be perfect if that make any sense. I am thinking about taking the plunge and applying tomorrow. My new job is in Lancaster and mapping the distance came to about 12 miles, 17 mins which is great. I know that Lancaster is near South Dallas which I've been told to stay away from, so I was wondering if this is too close but the other threads have said the area is nice and upcoming. I'm not an outsdoorsy person, so I don't plan on hanging outside except for to walk my poodle lol.

Thank you for any info anyone would have to offer. I am excited about moving but I'm so stressed out that it's taking away from my excitement. I'm tired of looking, just ready to make a decision so I can move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Considering the price for a 1br, I'd say you'll be comfortable here. The only advice I can offer is to try not to get an apt with an exterior window along Zang....not a total deal breaker, though.
It will be easy for you to go down Colorado to access I-35 south for your commute into Lancaster.
Personally I wouldn't say Bishop Arts is a few blocks away, I'd drive if it were me. But there are a few restaurants along Beckley - in walking distance Jonathan's, CampO, Spiral Diner. And a nice bakery tucked behind Spiral. There is also a fruiteria along Zang plus a small convenience store. Walgreens too.
There's an indie hipster venue across Lake Cliff called El Sibil. I have friends who have lived in this area for at least 15 years. They are still there with not much to complain about.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
The property seems nice and that area is only going to get better. There's not too much within immediate walking distance but Bishop Arts is a five minute drive away and you're right across the bridge from downtown.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM

93 posts, read 396,963 times
Don't know specifically about those apartments but I think it's a great location. As TrueDat said, that area is going to see a lot of improvement in the next few years (it's already pretty nice though). I know you're not into the outdoors, but Lake Cliff Park will be a great place to walk your dog. I live about 10 minutes away but I take my dog there all the time.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
I agree with the other posters who believe you will be fine there. The commute to Lancaster wouldn't be too bad and North Oak Cliff, where Zang Triangle is located, is doing quite well and continues to improve day by day.

In reference to the South Dallas neighborhood you were told to avoid, it is actually closer to North Oak Cliff than it is to the city of Lancaster. That said, North Oak Cliff and South Dallas are several miles apart, vastly different from one another, and separated by the Trinity River.

Hope you land the job and everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to Texas!

Last edited by Acntx; 06-26-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
The South Dallas people are telling you to stay away from is the one with the low income, old homes, and plenty of
liquor stores. Immediately just south of downtown.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 17,449 times
I checked out Zang Triangle before we decided to stay closer to work. Nice apartments and close to Bishop Arts but not sure its walkable at all times especially for a female. Agree get an apt not facing Zang Blvd.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Considering the price for a 1br, I'd say you'll be comfortable here. The only advice I can offer is to try not to get an apt with an exterior window along Zang....not a total deal breaker, though. It will be easy for you to go down Colorado to access I-35 south for your commute into Lancaster.
Personally I wouldn't say Bishop Arts is a few blocks away, I'd drive if it were me. But there are a few restaurants along Beckley - in walking distance Jonathan's, CampO, Spiral Diner. And a nice bakery tucked behind Spiral. There is also a fruiteria along Zang plus a small convenience store. Walgreens too.
There's an indie hipster venue across Lake Cliff called El Sibil. I have friends who have lived in this area for at least 15 years. They are still there with not much to complain about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
The property seems nice and that area is only going to get better. There's not too much within immediate walking distance but Bishop Arts is a five minute drive away and you're right across the bridge from downtown.
Lol that's good to know. I've noticed apartments will state/imply that they are closer to things than they really are as a selling point. Bishop Arts being in walking distance wasn't a decision factor for me, but I know for some it could be. Pepper glad to hear that your friends have lived there for so long with no complaints. I get my precriptions filled at Walgreens, so that will be convenient as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_from_Dallas View Post
Don't know specifically about those apartments but I think it's a great location. As TrueDat said, that area is going to see a lot of improvement in the next few years (it's already pretty nice though). I know you're not into the outdoors, but Lake Cliff Park will be a great place to walk your dog. I live about 10 minutes away but I take my dog there all the time.
I read about the park and thought about how it would be nice to walk him over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
I agree with the other posters who believe you will be fine there. The commute to Lancaster wouldn't be too bad and North Oak Cliff, where Zang Triangle is located, is doing quite well and continues to improve day by day.

In reference to the South Dallas neighborhood you were told to avoid, it is actually closer to North Oak Cliff than it is to the city of Lancaster. That said, North Oak Cliff and South Dallas are several miles apart, vastly different from one another, and separated by the Trinity River.

Hope you land the job and everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to Texas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
The South Dallas people are telling you to stay away from is the one with the low income, old homes, and plenty of
liquor stores. Immediately just south of downtown.

Oh okay thanks Acntx and RockyJoethe people I've been getting my info from are transplants and have only been there a few years, so the info I've been getting has been very "general". I should have posted here weeks ago. Thanks for the well wishes, I'm nervous about the change but it's about that time!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Pepper and ut15, also thanks for the info about facing Zang.

You guys rock, I'm going to apply today.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebelesprit View Post
Oh okay thanks Acntx and RockyJoethe people I've been getting my info from are transplants and have only been there a few years, so the info I've been getting has been very "general". I should have posted here weeks ago. Thanks for the well wishes, I'm nervous about the change but it's about that time!
You'll find that there are still a lot of ignorant people (whether natives or transplants) who think that anything south of I-30 is the greater "South Dallas wasteland cess pool of crime and rundown housing." It's better not to correct them and to keep the beautiful rolling hills, charming neighborhoods, yummy restaurants and quirky shops of North Oak Cliff a secret.

That's a great area! Not as residential as the NOC neighborhoods of Kessler Park/ Stevens Park / Winnetka Heights (adjacent to the west), but nonetheless a stellar location where you can actually walk to a few things....fairly rare in Dallas!

The parts of South Dallas and/or Oak Cliff that you want to avoid are the neighborhoods to the south of Fair Park (which is two interstates over, on the east side of I-45) and the areas south of downtown between 35 & 45. (The Southside/Cedars neighborhood is cool and has some great live music venues, but south of that past the DART station it does get sketchy). Overall, it's pretty obvious when you're driving/walking into one of the dodgier neighborhoods. Pretty much everything west of 35 is safe/safer and nicer than east of 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas