Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM

6,620 posts, read 9,832,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
In 1850?

Actually, the Elm-Main-Commerce grid was pretty lively in the 1930's, but that has nothing to do with tearing down empty structures today. Downtown Dallas' vacancy rate today is the effect of empty and unusuable office buildings that will never be occupied, and should be replaced, but haven't been.

Yes, some will be retroed into residential, and others, such as te Praetorian, will go away. But the past will always be replaced by the present.
Some things just shouldn't be torn down. Do you really think people visit cities to look at flashy new buildings? The history of old buildings/structures is what draw people to a certain area. How do you think Washington, D.C., Philly, Boston, New Orleans, San Antonio, etc. gets so many tourists? If everything historic is knocked down, there will be no history. People would rather see the building in person than on the pages of a book.

So, I guess if the White House was vacated it would be ok to tear it down? Anything with history should never be demolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,795,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Anyways, I didn't say "San Antonio was the live music capital of the US or Texas", just the music captital of the US, because Clear Channel chooses who gets to be famous by picking them to be played on the radio. It's not DJs, it's not live shows, it's a collection of dudes analyzing studies in San Antonio.
I still don't get this logic at all..It confuses me and makes me dumber. Because a large company that owns radio stations is located in a city that makes it the music capital of the US. T-minus whatever feels right I guess.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 AM

392 posts, read 630,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I still don't get this logic at all..It confuses me and makes me dumber. Because a large company that owns radio stations is located in a city that makes it the music capital of the US. T-minus whatever feels right I guess.
I can see a certain kind of logic in that argument.

A "capital" is a place where decisions are made and enforced, and control is extended over other places. So, Austin is the STATE government capital of the State of Texas, Washington DC is the FEDERAL capital of the USA, and San Antonio is the radio station music capital of the US.

People out in the provinces generally must get permission from the capital to do something. The capital makes the rules. And punishes those who flout them. That is basically what the Clear Channel suits in San Antonio are doing.

By that definition, is Austin the live music capital of Texas? I never heard of some roadhouse in Dallas or Houston getting permission from Austin to put on a show, or book a musician. So Austin is not in control of live music in Texas. And is not the "Capital".

Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,753,771 times

A big shout out to our CD moderator, SouthernBelleInUtah, who is in DFW this week house-hunting and will be relocating to the area within the next month! Hope your trip is very successful so that we can soon be calling you the Southern Belle In Dallas!

Also, another shout-out goes to
pinipig523... who should be in the process of moving to our area this week... here's hoping that your cold feet have since warmed up and that your move goes very smoothly!

And, to all the others that have relocated recently... or in the process... we give a big shout out with our warmest wishes.. Welcome All!

Old 01-09-2014, 02:13 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,283,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
And I've met many people from HP who would be considered "unsuccessful" - especially by other HP residents.

Here, we tend to believe that you can do whatever you want and not be judged as unsuccessful if you drive a cab or work in retail. We are still going to be friends because we went to Woodrow together.

We run in all circles. Perhaps that is horrifying to some.
Sounds shallow, but I am not going to think that my three kids are successful (professionally) if they drive a cab for a living or scooping ice cream when they are 40 years old. Moreover, I don't really believe that many people actually believe your statement that you are successful if you do what you want. The homeless guys by my office "do what they want", but I am not ready to call them successful. My deadbeat cousin loves working the unemployment system because he can sit around and play Xbox on the government's dime- not successful in my book.

Of course, how you value success is also based on your skills, if much is given, much is expected. The cab driver might be considered successful if he grew up on the streets and has been steadily employed for 20 years with no education. If a St. Marks grad (with a scholarship to college) decides he loves the neighborhood and only wants to serve milkshakes at Purple Cow- count me as one who says he is not successful.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM

794 posts, read 1,663,241 times
Anyone who has good health, open mind, love of family & friends, peace of mind, follows law and moral values, is successful in my book … no matter if he/she earns living by driving cycle rickshaw, yellow cab, commercial jet, cruise ship or space shuttle or owns an airline. I know many successful morons with miserable lives who add nothing to lives of people around them either.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,484,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Anyone who has good health, open mind, love of family & friends, peace of mind, follows law and moral values, is successful in my book … no matter if he/she earns living by driving cycle rickshaw, yellow cab, commercial jet, cruise ship or space shuttle or owns an airline. I know many successful morons with miserable lives who add nothing to lives of people around them either.
Well-said!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post

A big shout out to our CD moderator, SouthernBelleInUtah, who is in DFW this week house-hunting and will be relocating to the area within the next month! Hope your trip is very successful so that we can soon be calling you the Southern Belle In Dallas!

Also, another shout-out goes to
pinipig523... who should be in the process of moving to our area this week... here's hoping that your cold feet have since warmed up and that your move goes very smoothly!

And, to all the others that have relocated recently... or in the process... we give a big shout out with our warmest wishes.. Welcome All!
Welcome folks!!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,283,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Not sure if you have kids. But lets assume you do and your sweet angel baby brings home a fiancé to meet mom and dad. The fiancé is super bright, nice, healthy, has friends, and seems like a good dude (morals), but he only wants to wait tables @ Mi Cocina. He is a good waiter, but not willing too move to management (too much work) nor willing to move to high end place (like the mansion) where he can make lots of money waiting tables (his amigos work at Mi Cocina). He loves to work and then drink beer every day with his buddies (he is not a drunk, just likes to sit around for hours and discuss the latest Game of Thones episode).

Are you still happy with your child's choice? Don't you have concerns about how your "successful" son-in-law is going to pay for braces for your grandson, or how he will ever take care of your daughter?

The original point of the various posts seemed to discuss how successful a person was professionally. As I have stated numerous times, I don't care if my kids end up as teachers, shoe salesman, waiters, etc.- as long as they are the best that they do (I want my son to sell the most shoes and be the best at Nordstroms) or my daughters win teacher of the year for single handily turning WW into a fine school (tongue in cheek).

Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Not sure if you have kids. But lets assume you do and your sweet angel baby brings home a fiancé to meet mom and dad. The fiancé is super bright, nice, healthy, has friends, and seems like a good dude (morals), but he only wants to wait tables @ Mi Cocina. He is a good waiter, but not willing too move to management (too much work) nor willing to move to high end place (like the mansion) where he can make lots of money waiting tables (his amigos work at Mi Cocina). He loves to work and then drink beer every day with his buddies (he is not a drunk, just likes to sit around for hours and discuss the latest Game of Thones episode).

Are you still happy with your child's choice? Don't you have concerns about how your "successful" son-in-law is going to pay for braces for your grandson, or how he will ever take care of your daughter?

The original point of the various posts seemed to discuss how successful a person was professionally. As I have stated numerous times, I don't care if my kids end up as teachers, shoe salesman, waiters, etc.- as long as they are the best that they do (I want my son to sell the most shoes and be the best at Nordstroms) or my daughters win teacher of the year for single handily turning WW into a fine school (tongue in cheek).
Are we gonna beat this poor old dead horse any longer??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas