Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 PM

226 posts, read 483,413 times

Advertisements

My wife and i now lived in florida and we are thinking of moving to an other state. We like north Carolina for its mile winters and better economy. My wife friend just move to dallas and seems to like it there. We did some research on NC but don't know a lot about Dallas tx. We have a middle school kid so a good middle school district is a must. We would like to live in a area with a downtown main street shopping area. We are going to rent before we buy just to get the feel for the place. We live in Florida so the hot weather is not an issue. Any and all feed back would be welcome.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
budget?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,163 times
I have lived in both and I would never go back to NC, not even for $1 million.
Schools are not very good, people not very nice, nothing to do.

I guess we all have different needs and opinions, but NC is not for me.
This place is great, NC not so much.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM

48 posts, read 132,348 times
I totally disagree with TYPE O. NC hands down! Beach or Muntains within a short drive. Decent schools and great people. Plus there are these things that grow leaves called trees! Most neighborhoods around here are all former farm lands and just about every tree in my neighborhood was purchased. There are some great things about here as well, great restaurants, lots of stuff to do, etc. Aslo, there are some great towns with the small downtown atmosphere you are looking for, like Mckinney and Grapevine.

I lived in NC for 20 years and now I am in Prosper. I like both, but would go back to NC in a second. If you can live anywhere in NC I would look at Asheville or Waynesville. I lived in High Point, which is about a two hour drive to the mountains and three to the coast. Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
I have lived in both and I would never go back to NC, not even for $1 million.
Schools are not very good, people not very nice, nothing to do.

I guess we all have different needs and opinions, but NC is not for me.
This place is great, NC not so much.
While I am a BIG Metroplex booster, I'm assuming you didn't live in Charlotte or Raleigh/Cary? I'd sooo live in either city, the coastal areas or the W. NC mountains.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:19 PM

I lived in Cary and Morrisville.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Dallas over North carolina....

In my opinion the only thing NC has over Dallas is the proximity to the coast.I have been to Charlotte and Raleigh and thought both were nice,but neither compared to the DFW metro.Dallas wins for schools,job opporunities,high median income,stable safe suburbs and real estate.Dallas is smack in the middle of the country,good for leisure and professional travel.

Dallas is currently the 4 th largest metro in the country only trumped by NY,LA and Chicago. Dallas will surpass Chicago out of the number 3 spot in years to come.We moved to Prosper,Tx from Greenwich,Ct and have been thrilled.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 PM

226 posts, read 483,413 times
Default Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
I lived in Cary and Morrisville.
We are looking at both Cary and garner.Iyo how is Cary when your live they. Is it a place to raise a family.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM

I guess it is a nice place to raise a family. But I was serious about the schools. I guess they are not that bad, but there are way better schools in TX.

Get used to bugs all over.
people drive like they are still zig zagging with the cabbies on long island.
There is nothing to do except parks and trails.

Dining options are not too impressive, sure you'll hear about the angus barn and the pit...but that is about it.
You have 2 shopping options, southpoint or crabtree...cary towne is so old and crappy...beaver creek and briar creek are ok...but traffic to and from is bad.

I-40 is bad pretty much 24/7.
I'd say 50% are from NE, did not run in to many locals.

Pick a good school and keep your eye on the constant changes with rezoning, bussing and track options (if you do year-round schools; which I really liked)

Sorry it was so long. Please DM if you'd like more info.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM

48 posts, read 132,348 times
Traffic in Dallas is 1000 times worse than Cary/Raleigh. I am a salesman and have had both territories and trust me Dallas is much worse. Also, you said you were used to the heat, but Dallas has much hotter temps than Florida for a longer extended period. Another nice thing about NC is they actually have all four seasons, unlike Florida and Dallas.

If you like the coast you will only be a couple hours drive to many beautiful beaches in NC. Also, Cary is one of the top rnaked cities for families in America. Look it up, they are ranked at the top every year. Great concerts, sporting events, etc. NC does have state taxes, so that will be a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas