Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,881 times

Advertisements

Im new to the forums here so sorry if i ask a couple stupid questions. So with my electric bill already at a whopping 170 dollars in my apartment i am wondering is garland power and electric the best place to have my electricity with? Also does anyone know of a map so i can get out of a co op area to get a cheaper rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times
In Garland you also pay for your trash and water with the electric bill. It is city owned and you are stuck only with them.

The only co-ops in Texas are in rural areas.

Last month electric for me was 220 and 96 for trash, sewer and water. I live in 2300 sf home.

Welcome to Texas

Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,881 times
Wow i would not mind paying the 220 if i lived in a house that size

Any advice on a better area to live in ? my lease is up at the end of the year and i really dont like the 230 dollar electric bills in an apartment when the AC is set at 80

Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,341 times
You don't have a choice if you live in Garland , the city only has one provider. You have many small areas with co op around the metroplex , those are usually imposed . We live in one in Plano , and frankly we love it ,the rate may not be the cheapest all the time , but they are always stable and follow the market , no more contract , no more waiting period with sky high rates . Our bills have been much lower overall.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
In Garland you also pay for your trash and water with the electric bill. It is city owned and you are stuck only with them.

The only co-ops in Texas are in rural areas.

Last month electric for me was 220 and 96 for trash, sewer and water. I live in 2300 sf home.

Welcome to Texas

Actually Farmer's Electric serves this area. Murphy and Wylie both have areas that are FEC. They even have an office in Wylie.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:07 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
You might want to identify apartments you are interested in and get that address/zip and then go to PowerToChoose and compare rates of different companies and against what you are currently paying.

City of Garland is not a co-op, but a municipally owned electric company. Both types are specifically left out of deregulation. CoG also includes water and trash as a PP mentioned so when you compare, you'll need to pull the electric portion of your bill to compare apples to apples.

I lived in Garland before and after dereg and even after, our rates were comparable to what friends were paying with other companies. I have service thru a co-op now and it's also comparable and the service seems to be better than the commercial companies.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Apartments are notoriously poorly insulated and not energy efficient. This is especially true in older units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas