Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM

110 posts, read 204,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I think Austin has become more of the "star of Texas" As of late
Can you elaborate? I don't know much about Dallas, but even less about Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
If there is a city in Texas that is trying hard to create an image or further it's appeal it is Austin. If that is not something you are interested in Austin probably wouldn't be a good place for you. It is a great place, but has kind of gotten silly. Dallas and Houston have a better and more varied job market, and ability to have a better quality of life. They are more diverse, larger, and therefore easier to make want you want out of the city

Old 07-01-2012, 05:11 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
If there is a city in Texas that is trying hard to create an image or further it's appeal it is Austin. If that is not something you are interested in Austin probably wouldn't be a good place for you. It is a great place, but has kind of gotten silly. Dallas and Houston have a better and more varied job market, and ability to have a better quality of life. They are more diverse, larger, and therefore easier to make want you want out of the city
I would have to disagree. Austin has ranked higher the past year at least on more jobs, growing fields,and such on all those studies put out. Houston's job market is dominated by oil. I've never really cared for Houston. The vibe of Austin has changed, I lived there for three years for school.its becoming more metropolitan than laid back but there's still that vibe throughout a lot of the city. I don't think the ability to have quality of life is any better here than Austin. Houston, maybe.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:03 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Flat, hot and spread out.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:48 PM

392 posts, read 633,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I would have to disagree. Austin has ranked higher the past year at least on more jobs, growing fields,and such on all those studies put out. Houston's job market is dominated by oil. I've never really cared for Houston. The vibe of Austin has changed, I lived there for three years for school.its becoming more metropolitan than laid back but there's still that vibe throughout a lot of the city. I don't think the ability to have quality of life is any better here than Austin. Houston, maybe.
Well, in terms of population, Houston and DFW have more of everything and more diversity.

Comparing Austin to Houston or Dallas is like comparing HOU or DFW to New York. Houston at 6 million versus Austin at a million and a half... They're not in the same class.

Sure, if you're overwhelmed by a large metro, then Austin is a good fit. But if you're used to living in a major metro, Austin will not give you the same level of urban vitality.

Last edited by savanite; 07-01-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM

How far would you say one would have to go (time wise: 30 mins, an hour, etc.) to live outside of downtown Dallas or be away from major traffic?

As for diversity, that's all fine, but I would prefer to be around English-speakers for the most part (if possible). Having lived in NJ, it's just something I would prefer. Being the only English-speaker around isn't fun. No offense to anybody who doesn't speak English primarily.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Major traffic isn't just around downtown. I-635 in North Dallas can be terrible as can be 114, I-35W, and 820 in northern Tarrant County, all far away from downtown Dallas.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Sorry, I was referring to two different things. Outside of downtown Dallas in terms of urban vs. non-urban living. The question about major traffic was just a general one.

Hope that makes sense!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

In Dallas/Ft. Worth area, you get that everything is bigger in Texas feel. From the massive metroplex, hair, shopping, malls, airport, and ever expanding skyline. Dallas is a city that suffers from an identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be but it's tried very hard to shake off the image of the old Texas stereotype: Cowboy boots and big hats. Lately, it's developed a cross between a midwestern city, an east coast city, with a Saint Louis downtown arch. It plays up to the media and I think is a city that tries to prove its not your typical Texas city. It has that keeping up with the jones mentality.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Wow. That is quite an anthropomorphic description of a city. This is a metropolitan area of 6+ million people, not a hive mind. Massive hair? Really? I moved here from California 7 years ago and I still have no idea what Dallas and "big hair" have to do with each other. Is that from the 80's? Everyone had "big hair" in the 80's. That was certainly not unique to Dallas if that's what people mean by Dallas and "big hair".

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Focused- View Post
Sorry, I was referring to two different things. Outside of downtown Dallas in terms of urban vs. non-urban living. The question about major traffic was just a general one.

Hope that makes sense!
Dallas is a suburban city compared to what you are used to on the East Coast..You could go out of Dallas (downtown) about say 5 minutes and it would still feel like a suburb compared to just about any Northeastern City...If you are referring to say City limits to suburban towns yeah about 30 minutes depending on where you want to land in the MP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas