Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunball View Post
Thank you BigDGeek, zipcode is helpful. I need to do more research. Are the schools you mentioned are: canyon creek elementary, Richardson middle, and pearce high?
Canyon Creek feeds more than one elementary school and is zoned to two different school districts (it's huge).

Canyon Creek in Dallas County is zoned to Richardson schools, in Collin County it is zoned to Plano schools. I don't know the boundaries for the elementary or junior highs, but all of the Richardson students in Canyon Creek are zoned to J.J. Pearce for high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM

36 posts, read 71,741 times
OP: I have never seen a time of day out there that doesn't feel like rush hour. I think Allen won't feel worth it to you simply due to the hassle. Check 75093 and Richardson. Both commutes would be much better and the schools would be, too.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
I would choose Allen over Richardson and Plano even if it meant a longer work commute. Allen is a fantastic,safe city with a slew of grocery,retail and entertainment within the city itself.Great location,close to everything most people with a family would want easy access to. The Village at Allen/Fairview is one of our favorite places to go.So many eateries,Whole Foods and I PIC movie theatre. Love I PIC!

I suggest checking out homes in the Twin Creeks Golf Community.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM

323 posts, read 633,254 times
Allen is not a sensible option for them. There are things other than a house that matter more in short and fragile human lives. There are many fantastic,safe cities with a slew of grocery,retail and entertainment closer to their jobs. I say look closer to the work and don't add additional stress to already stressed lives. You'll have a much better quality of life if you have shorter commute and peace of mind to be there whenever children need help. I read somewhere (probably this forum) that 1/2 hr extra commute both ways means 30 hrs per month and 365 hrs of your life per year. Lets deduct weekends and vacation and still you get extra 250 hrs to live in your home with your family instead of spending it on Expressway.

Last edited by Bypass13; 01-29-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
I lived just short of where you are thinking about while driving downtown for about 2 years. I did it because my rent was less than $500 a month. I could honestly & manically destroy the northern suburbs where I lived with a tank after doing that commute. Please don't do that to yourself. Every Friday evening rush is 'going back to Oklahoma' up 75. Man I hated Friday!

They are great places if you work nearby, but don't commute from Allen to DTD. I sure as heck wouldn't move up there for all that stuff off Stacy Road. That's dime-a-dozen in DFW.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM

115 posts, read 193,954 times
I am house sitting an expat friend's house in that area and planning to move before my husband and kids come to Texas in summer. If I weren't living free of rent then I would move in a nano second. My commute to Irving is a torture.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM

168 posts, read 274,415 times
I moved to StarCreek in September. Maybe it is a matter of perspective, but after living in Atlanta for 20+ years, I haven't found the commute to be that bad. I work in downtown Dallas and my average commute is less than 1 hour. I do leave by 6:45am though. I live 26 miles from the office. For comparison, I commuted 18 miles in Atl and my average was 1.5 hours each way unless it rained (2 hours).

As for schools in StarCreek, the subdivision is proposed to be split next year between Cheatham and the new school opening north of 121, Lindsey. East of the creek (which is where the new construction is) will stay at Cheatham. Those of us on the west side will go to Lindsey. There are some unhappy parents on the West side because this will be their third elementary school. My kids currently go to Kerr because Cheatham was at capacity when we moved. I have no complaints about Kerr at all and would love to keep my kids there because the daycare I use for my younger child is across the street.

The small lots were an adjustment, but I really like the neighborhood and my kids are always out front playing with the neighbors anyway. We walk/bike to the park frequently too. It is convenient to 75 and 121 and any type of shopping/dining is within 2 miles.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM

227 posts, read 528,944 times
I love scenic route of 75 myself and spending 2-3 hours on it every day is my dream but unfortunately not that privileged. I understand that it is a lovely area with new houses and shiny malls, mediocre schools,I PIC movies, beautiful wives and perfect children but its hell of a commute to put it mildly and you can find similar stuff in other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: