U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,478 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to the Dallas area in a couple of months. I will be working near Addison and I'm having trouble deciding on where to live. A lot of people have suggested Frisco and it seems like a nice place but I have yet to heard the bad about it. I've also looked into Plano, Allen and The Colony. I am mid twenties, single woman. I'm looking for a safe area. I've ruled out Addison because from the research I've done, it doesn't seem very safe. I will be renting not buying. Nightlife isn't a big deal to me, I can always go elsewhere on the weekends for that. Frisco is my top choice so far. I know there will be a commute to work but I've been told it's not too bad. Any pros and cons about the area would be helpful as well as any suggestions on other areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM

12,690 posts, read 25,052,921 times
What do you want, besides a low crime neighborhood? Frisco is VERY family oriented. Not many singles there at all. The "con" there may be finding it hard to connect with your neighbors or have enough fun activities nearby. It's really not worth the additional commute, IMO.

There are more singles in North Plano around the Shops @ Legacy (Legacy & Tollroad) and a bit southwest of there at Austin Ranch. Shops @ Leg skews a bit older (30's/40's) while I think Austin Ranch is younger (20's/30's). The "perk" of Shops @ Leg over Austin Ranch is everything right there- movie theatre, cute boutiques, lots of restaurants, etc.

Addison itself is plenty safe. I'm not sure how you decided it isn't??? DFW is a major metro area and you need to take precautions no matter where you live to not be a victim of crime (lock your car & home doors, even if you're inside; never leave valuables in plain sight in your parked car; don't be oblivious and walk/jog with earbuds in both ears and thr music cranked up; don't go home with men you just met; etc). If you can practice these simple tips, it's HIGHLY unlikely you'll ever be a crime victim- whether in Addison, Dallas, Frisco, Plano, etc.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM

44,255 posts, read 58,843,476 times
Need price range before answering.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM

10,868 posts, read 23,440,876 times
I agree that Addison is a safe area. I've had several single female friends live there and they were totally happy and had zero crime problems. I'm occasionally over there to patronize the Improv and local restaurants, and the area is just fine.

You will hate life in Frisco. It is totally a family town, and everything revolves around kids' soccer games and school activities. Even the mall is more family-oriented in its selection of stores!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,478 times
Maybe I'm wrong about Addison. Any suggestions on apartments in Addison? I'm looking for a one bedroom under $900.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM

270 posts, read 541,334 times
The only place you want to live if you choose Addision is Addison Circle. It's a great place if you're single. The down side about Dallas is that there are a lot of cheesy drunks here. If you don't care for the bar scene and are a good-girl, then look at West Plano (75024) and Frisco apartments.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM

482 posts, read 869,516 times
Addison is safe...if you're single, you definitely don't want to live way up in the Northern suburbs. I wouldn't go past Frankford... If I were you, I'd look into Turtle Creek and Highland and University Parks if your pockets can stand it...and just the Downtown area in general. Definitely south of Addison. I lived in Lewisville and Irving as a single woman and was almost brought to tears with boredom...don't do it! LOL.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM

718 posts, read 1,262,996 times
If you don't care about nightlife on a everyday basis , I would look at West Plano and south west Frisco,you will find plenty of appartments in your price range.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM

24 posts, read 41,733 times
Get D Magazine's July issue, Best Suburbs! Loads of information and comparisons.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 PM

10,868 posts, read 23,440,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplanoman View Post
Get D Magazine's July issue, Best Suburbs! Loads of information and comparisons.
Do a search here...we all agreed that "suburb ranking" article was junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: