Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM

57 posts, read 199,180 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are finally moving to Dallas in September, so we've been watching the weather and news fairly closely for the past year. I'm curious about hail. I'm used to "giant hail" being the size of a pea. So tell me, when hail the size of golf balls or even softballs comes down over DFW.. how serious is the damage to vehicles? I'm assuming this is a very common insurance claim. We have a 1 car garage (which will probably house the motorcycles) so the cars will be in the driveway. Is this going to be a big issue for me? If I purchase a cover, what constitutes a "giant hail-proof" cover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrell View Post
My husband and I are finally moving to Dallas in September, so we've been watching the weather and news fairly closely for the past year. I'm curious about hail. I'm used to "giant hail" being the size of a pea. So tell me, when hail the size of golf balls or even softballs comes down over DFW.. how serious is the damage to vehicles? I'm assuming this is a very common insurance claim. We have a 1 car garage (which will probably house the motorcycles) so the cars will be in the driveway. Is this going to be a big issue for me? If I purchase a cover, what constitutes a "giant hail-proof" cover?
Luckily hail that huge doesn't happen that often, but when it does (I had "egg sized" hail last time) it is very damaging. I'm not sure about a "cover" but I was very happy that I was parked in the garage during the last storm. The cars parked on the street were trashed.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Is this going to be a big issue for me? If I purchase a cover, what constitutes a "giant hail-proof" cover?
No, it's not going to be a big issue. I've lived in Texas nigh on to 64 years and only ONCE was my car parked in a location where the big stuff fell. The car had dents. The house roof was an insurance claim.

As far as a cover, a single flat aluminum roof will do. But you'll need to make sure of any HOA restrictions before construction. You'll appreciate that cover even more for protection from the summer heat.

Or a large tree.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Big hail like we just had is INCREDIBLY rare. The last time the metroplex had a storm that bad was in the mid-1990's and it was over in Fort Worth. Hail is common, especially in the spring/summer storms, but pebble sized is far more common than anything over 1" in diameter. Northern burbs tend to get more hail than central Dallas- probably due to the 25-30 mile distance that often creates lower temps there?

I had minor hail damage- enough to be worth getting fixed but not enough to break or crack my windshield/ sunroof- about 5 years ago. It was a super easy insurance claim to go through. Paid my deductible and drove straight to the body shop.

My neighbors who can't get all cars in the garage or don't have a garage put quilts & comforters over their cars in the June storm. None of them had windows break so I doubt they had minor damage either.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
There is a car cover called "Hail Blanket," but even they say that your car will not be hail proof with it. It's the thickest car cover on the market that I know of though. I bet if you put a thick comforter underneath it for extra protection, you'd be ok.

But, if you really have a nice car, a garage space is obviously worth looking into. It does hail quite often here, but usually it's the 1" size or less, half an inch is quite common and can hit hard enough to dent a hood/roof.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM

74 posts, read 166,417 times
It's not so rare. We've had two big hail storms this year already. The first was in april that went through south arlington (tornado) and up into DFW airport and Coppell. The second hail storm was in east dallas. Both caused significant damage.

Coppell also had a equally bad storm last year.

The roof on my house has been replaced 3 times in 10 years due to hail. This year both of my cars were totalled.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Lived here for 50 years and never really had any hail damage to cars except once - fairly minor - I don't really remember my parents talking about having any before I was born, but my father was very sure not to be parked outside without cover when hail was mentioned in a forecast.

I remember a couple of times that I got some money for a roof for hail damage - has been at least 20 years - but nothing like the last storm.

What happened in my neighborhood in June had not happened in 80-90 years from what I can determine. Fortunately I was not home and parked outside. Many cars were towed away - that's all that could be done.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:39 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
No damage to my car a ding or two but three roofs replaced in 40 years. Its a good thing really you get a new roof for the price of a deductible.

I have been all over the country and many other places. Every place has something that can cause damage.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
It happens but like some of the others, I have lived in Texas for 56 years (Dallas area for27) and we have only had hail damage one time. Hope that helps put the danger/risk in perspective.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
The odds are in your favor...that said my MIL was visiting in June and her car (which she does NOT insure except for liability from what I understand as once she pays something INCLUDING her house she drops insurance) was damaged. It's driveable, but it looks like crude. She's the only person I know with any severe hail damage. Our truck (used and over 120K miles on it) had some we think happened last year because we don't remember seeing it when we bought it, but it's a knock around and used for hauling and handyman stuff so it wasn't a big deal to us. It's very slight and on the roof so I can't see it anyway as I'm short and it's an F150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas